Old 06-21-2011, 04:33 PM
Camaleón

Default Question about the new kernel with PAE (Wheezy)

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 12:16:02 -0400, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:

> On 06/21/2011 10:59 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>> But now the day has come and I've got two questions:
>>
>> 1. Will the PAE kernel work on this VM? I guess no.
>>
>> 2. Shouldn't the dist-upgrade routine had to automatically determine
>> the best kernel for this system? Or at least provide some kind of
>> warning? I think a 486 kernel would be a more sensitive choice.
>>
>> Any commnents?
>
> Hi, Camaleón!
>
> My spare sub-notebook (Panasonic CF-R3) shows

(...)

Another guy with a non PAE system. Welcome to the club ;-P

> Since this is my spare notebook, and I can mess it up if I want to, I
> decided to go ahead and give the kernel upgrade a shot. As expected, I
> got a message from aptitude about the kernel not being supported by the
> processor on this system. The message suggested installing the 486
> kernel and removing the newly obsoleted 686 kernel.

Mmm... so aptitude warned you. That's good. But then, why it selects a
kernel that won't work on your system? That's diabolic }:-)

Anyway, that answers my question 1 and somehow the question 2, thanks.

> For the heck of it, I went ahead and installed it anyway, but the new
> kernel was listed as not configured. I decided to be a good boy, install
> the 486 kernel, and remove the new (unconfigured PAE version) and old
> 686 kernels. All is well.

Thanks for sharing your experience, very much appreciated. I think I will
directly go for a 486 kernel...

> Aptitude was nice to me. And that's what happens if you try to install
> the inappropriate kernel on a physical machine. I imagine it'll work the
> same way on a VM, but my imagination is sometimes not very bright!
>
> ;-)

Yep, I also think so. But I wondered how "apt-get dist-upgrade" would
handle this sitution. I bet that it will report something similar to
aptitude... heck, I'm tempted to get the "I-know-it-won't-work" suggested
kernel update to see what happens O:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Dom

But now the day has come and I've got two questions:

1. Will the PAE kernel work on this VM? I guess no.

2. Shouldn't the dist-upgrade routine had to automatically determine
the best kernel for this system? Or at least provide some kind of
warning? I think a 486 kernel would be a more sensitive choice.

Any commnents?

Hi, Camaleón!

My spare sub-notebook (Panasonic CF-R3) shows

(...)

Another guy with a non PAE system. Welcome to the club ;-P

Since this is my spare notebook...

Mmm... so aptitude warned you. That's good. But then, why it selects a
kernel that won't work on your system? That's diabolic }:-)

Anyway, that answers my question 1 and somehow the question 2, thanks.

Aptitude was nice to me.

Yep, I also think so. But I wondered how "apt-get dist-upgrade" would
handle this sitution. I bet that it will report something similar to
aptitude... heck, I'm tempted to get the "I-know-it-won't-work" suggested
kernel update to see what happens O:-)

I'll find that out what apt does tomorrow when I try to upgrade my main
laptop which doesn't have pae support, and will report the results.

I'm not too worried, as I know it won't remove the old kernel and I can
reboot into that one and install the 486 version when it fails.

Oddly, I installed the 486 version on a couple of identical 586 machines
today. It worked fine on one and failed to boot on the other. I'm not
planning to investigate those, though, as I build a custom targeted
kernel for those low-spec machines.

--
Dom