Old 06-21-2011, 11:56 AM
wolf python london

Default gnumeric has a high priority than libreoffice impress?

Hi all,

That sounds ridiculous at fist glance ,right? But it happens here .
In my Wheezy , when I try to open a .ppt file( I really don't want to
do ,but no other way @_@),
I double click the file (eg, test.ppt) , it pops up a dialog which
shows it doesn't support the file format.
yes, it is the Gnumeric that executes and tries to open a .ppt .

I also try to right-click the file (test.ppt), the context menu shows
the gnumeric first , and then libreoffice impress.
It seems that I should change the priority , so I click the "use other
application" of context menu ,and choose the
libreoffice impress and mark the " remember the application that open
MS Powerpoint". I thought it were ok .
but it doesn't !! When opening anther .ppt file , the system still
chooses the gnumeric to open it (I think the
Gnumeric has a WRONG priority).

BTW, it's useless to purge gnumeric and reinstall it late, which means
after purging the gnumeric the system temporarily
use the libreoffice impress to open .ppt files , BUT the system
chooses to open .ppt file using gnumeric by default after I install
the gnumeric again

any clue ? it's not a big problem, but bothersome!

Old 06-21-2011, 01:09 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 19:56:24 +0800, wolf python london wrote:

> That sounds ridiculous at fist glance ,right?

Nope, if you are using GNOME. It sounds normal to give GNOME applications
a higher priority than others, like html files that open with Epiphany
instead Iceweasel :-)

> But it happens here . In my Wheezy , when I try to open a .ppt file( I
> really don't want to do ,but no other way @_@),

(...)

Try with another method.

Right-click on the PPT file and select "Properties". Then go to "Open
with" tab and try to set it from there.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-21-2011, 01:25 PM
wolf python london

On 21 June 2011 21:09, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 19:56:24 +0800, wolf python london wrote:
>
>> That sounds ridiculous at fist glance ,right?
>
> Nope, if you are using GNOME. It sounds normal to give GNOME applications
> a higher priority than others, like html files that open with Epiphany
> instead Iceweasel :-)

I mean gnumeric is for excel while it tries to open a ppt :-).
yes, I'm using GNOME. And the priority the system sets for us is absurd @_@.

>> But it happens here . In my Wheezy , when I try to open a .ppt file( I
>> really don't want to do ,but no other way @_@),
>
> (...)
>
> Try with another method.
>
> Right-click on the PPT file and select "Properties". Then go to "Open
> with" tab and try to set it from there.

Ok , it works now , thanks Camaleón!

Old 06-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 21:25:24 +0800, wolf python london wrote:

> On 21 June 2011 21:09, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 19:56:24 +0800, wolf python london wrote:
>>
>>> That sounds ridiculous at fist glance ,right?
>>
>> Nope, if you are using GNOME. It sounds normal to give GNOME
>> applications a higher priority than others, like html files that open
>> with Epiphany instead Iceweasel :-)
>
> I mean gnumeric is for excel while it tries to open a ppt :-). yes, I'm
> using GNOME. And the priority the system sets for us is absurd @_@.

Ouch! My bad O:-)

I didn't put attention on the extension but the application, sorry.

>>> But it happens here . In my Wheezy , when I try to open a .ppt file( I
>>> really don't want to do ,but no other way @_@),
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> Try with another method.
>>
>> Right-click on the PPT file and select "Properties". Then go to "Open
>> with" tab and try to set it from there.
>>
> Ok , it works now , thanks Camaleón!

Ah, good to know ;-)

Greetings,