Old 06-21-2011, 04:46 AM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

Default imapsync

Hi all,

Would you know the reasons why "imapsync" has been in Lenny but no more
in "squeeze" nor "sid"?

--
RMA.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:01 AM

> Hi all,

> Would you know the reasons why "imapsync" has been in Lenny but no more
> in "squeeze" nor "sid"?

Hey Mihamina,

Have a look at http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=609845#65 - it seems the author wanted it removed because he started to charge for the script

Old 06-21-2011, 05:02 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 21/06/11 14:46, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Would you know the reasons why "imapsync" has been in Lenny but no more
> in "squeeze" nor "sid"?

from:-
http://packages.qa.debian.org/i/imapsync.html

todo :- The package should be updated to follow the last version of
Debian Policy (Standards-Version 3.9.2 instead of 3.7.3).

problems:- This package is neither part of unstable nor experimental.
This probably means that the package has been removed (or has been
renamed). Thus the information here is of little interest ... *the
package is going to disappear unless someone takes it over and
reintroduces it into unstable.* (emphasis is mine)

from:-
http://packages.qa.debian.org/i/imapsync/news/20110126T163914Z.html

The script that generates this mail tries to extract removal
reasons from comments in the britney hint files. Those comments
were not originally meant to be machine readable, so if the
reason for removing your package seems to be nonsense, it is
probably the reporting script that got confused. Please check the
actual hints file before you complain about meaningless removals.

Package homepage:-
http://ks.lamiral.info/imapsync/
author:- Gilles LAMIRAL

Cheers

Old 06-21-2011, 10:51 AM
Camaleón

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 22:01:05 -0700, dlists wrote:

>> Would you know the reasons why "imapsync" has been in Lenny but no more
>> in "squeeze" nor "sid"?
>
> Hey Mihamina,
>
> Have a look at
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=609845#65 - it
seems
> the author wanted it removed because he started to charge for the
> script

Ugh, how bad.

I can understand that the package is provided with a monetary cost (but
still open source). What I fail to see is why the author does not want it
to be distributed by anyone :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Javier Barroso

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 22:01:05 -0700, dlists wrote:
>
>>> Would you know the reasons why "imapsync" has been in Lenny but no more
>>> in "squeeze" nor "sid"?
>>
>> Hey Mihamina,
>>
>> * * * Have a look at
>> * * * http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=609845#65 - it
> seems
>> * * * the author wanted it removed because he started to charge for the
>> * * * script
>
> Ugh, how bad.
>
> I can understand that the package is provided with a monetary cost (but
> still open source). What I fail to see is why the author does not want it
> to be distributed by anyone :-?

Quote from Guillem maillist [1]
"
The donate button didn't work very well so I experiment another way
to be paid for my work on free, open softwares.
It looks like very few people understand what free and open really
means: free like free speech but not necessarily free beer.
"

I used this script for migrate hundreds of mailbox and my old company
didn't talk about to donate a cent .. , so I understand why he made
the change ...

Regards,

[1] http://www.linux-france.org/prj/imapsync_list/msg00732.html

Old 06-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 18:09:39 +0200, Javier Barroso wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> * * * Have a look at
>>> * * * http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=609845#65 -
>>> * * * it
>> seems
>>> * * * the author wanted it removed because he started to charge for
>>> * * * the script
>>
>> Ugh, how bad.
>>
>> I can understand that the package is provided with a monetary cost (but
>> still open source). What I fail to see is why the author does not want
>> it to be distributed by anyone :-?
>
> Quote from Guillem maillist [1]
> "
> The donate button didn't work very well so I experiment another way to
> be paid for my work on free, open softwares. It looks like very few
> people understand what free and open really means: free like free speech
> but not necessarily free beer. "
>
> I used this script for migrate hundreds of mailbox and my old company
> didn't talk about to donate a cent .. , so I understand why he made the
> change ...
>
> Regards,
>
> [1] http://www.linux-france.org/prj/imapsync_list/msg00732.html

Yes, I've alredy read it, and...? I still don't get his point. What's the
gain in limiting its distribution? You can still charge the users for it.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-21-2011, 04:35 PM
Brian

On Tue 21 Jun 2011 at 10:51:34 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> I can understand that the package is provided with a monetary cost (but
> still open source). What I fail to see is why the author does not want it
> to be distributed by anyone :-?

He has never said that. Quite the opposite:

I repeat with precision "No. Do what you want". I promise I won't
complain anymore about the fact imapsync is on Debian or not.

And

>> As far as I can see, the author of this software has even said in a
>> message in this bug report that "You can even make [this software]
>> a GPL software"[1], which I understand him to mean that the intent
>> of the new license is to be GPL-compatible!
>
> You are reading very selectively.

Jeff is reading right.

(The final sentence is Gilles Lamiral's).

Old 06-21-2011, 04:46 PM
Javier Barroso

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 6:19 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> seems
>>>
>>> Ugh, how bad.
>>>
>>> I can understand that the package is provided with a monetary cost (but
>>> still open source). What I fail to see is why the author does not want
>>> it to be distributed by anyone :-?
>>
>> Quote from Guillem maillist [1]
>> "
>> The donate button didn't work very well so I experiment another way to
>> be paid for my work on free, open softwares. It looks like very few
>> people understand what free and open really means: free like free speech
>> but not necessarily free beer. "
>>
>> I used this script for migrate hundreds of mailbox and my old company
>> didn't talk about to donate a cent .. , so I understand why he made the
>> change ...
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> [1] http://www.linux-france.org/prj/imapsync_list/msg00732.html
>
> Yes, I've alredy read it, and...? I still don't get his point. What's the
> gain in limiting its distribution? You can still charge the users for it.

If you buy it you can do what do you want (WTFPL license) with it, so
you can distribute if you want. But I imagine buying software to
distribute it is not the Debian Philosophy, so they/we don't that

Old 06-21-2011, 04:59 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 18:46:29 +0200, Javier Barroso wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 6:19 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>>> [1] http://www.linux-france.org/prj/imapsync_list/msg00732.html
>>
>> Yes, I've alredy read it, and...? I still don't get his point. What's
>> the gain in limiting its distribution? You can still charge the users
>> for it.
>
> If you buy it you can do what do you want (WTFPL license) with it, so
> you can distribute if you want. But I imagine buying software to
> distribute it is not the Debian Philosophy, so they/we don't that

But what's the gain of that requirement?

You download from whatever place (packaged from distributions or direct
download from developers website) and then you pay for it (payment
required, not optional) as many other FLOSS software do but limiting its
distribution is IMO, senseless (because as you said, only one guy can pay
for it and then freely redistribute anywhere...).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-21-2011, 05:07 PM
Javier Barroso

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 6:59 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 18:46:29 +0200, Javier Barroso wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 6:19 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> (...)

>>> Yes, I've alredy read it, and...? I still don't get his point. What's
>>> the gain in limiting its distribution? You can still charge the users
>>> for it.
>>
>> If you buy it you can do what do you want (WTFPL license) with it, so
>> you can distribute if you want. But I imagine buying software to
>> distribute it is not the Debian Philosophy, so they/we don't that
>
> But what's the gain of that requirement?
The autor is winning money and before he didn't win what he want to
win, so he changed his strategy. That is his gain, I think

> You download from whatever place (packaged from distributions or direct
> download from developers website) and then you pay for it (payment
> required, not optional) as many other FLOSS software do but limiting its
> distribution is IMO, senseless (because as you said, only one guy can pay
> for it and then freely redistribute anywhere...).

Surely there are many people which will pay for that and then they
won't want to distribute something that they payed ...

Other people, of course, will distribute it .. (and people which get
these copies won't pay)