Old 06-21-2011, 05:10 PM
Camaleón

Default imapsync

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 17:35:53 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Tue 21 Jun 2011 at 10:51:34 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> I can understand that the package is provided with a monetary cost (but
>> still open source). What I fail to see is why the author does not want
>> it to be distributed by anyone :-?
>
> He has never said that. Quite the opposite:

Ein?

> I repeat with precision "No. Do what you want". I promise I won't
> complain anymore about the fact imapsync is on Debian or not.
>
> And
>
> >> As far as I can see, the author of this software has even said in a
> >> message in this bug report that "You can even make [this software]
> >> a GPL software"[1], which I understand him to mean that the intent
> >> of the new license is to be GPL-compatible!
> >
> > You are reading very selectively.
>
> Jeff is reading right.
>
> (The final sentence is Gilles Lamiral's).

Great, but I've also read this (which is the reason why the packages was
removed):

Maybe he didn't express it in the right way (!?), but now I'm afraid his
possition is not very clear...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-21-2011, 05:19 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 19:07:12 +0200, Javier Barroso wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 6:59 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> If you buy it you can do what do you want (WTFPL license) with it, so
>>> you can distribute if you want. But I imagine buying software to
>>> distribute it is not the Debian Philosophy, so they/we don't that
>>
>> But what's the gain of that requirement?

> The autor is winning money and before he didn't win what he want to win,
> so he changed his strategy. That is his gain, I think

Yes, and I think that a "pay per software" strategy is a valid
requirement... but not this way.

>> You download from whatever place (packaged from distributions or direct
>> download from developers website) and then you pay for it (payment
>> required, not optional) as many other FLOSS software do but limiting
>> its distribution is IMO, senseless (because as you said, only one guy
>> can pay for it and then freely redistribute anywhere...).
>
> Surely there are many people which will pay for that and then they won't
> want to distribute something that they payed ...
>
> Other people, of course, will distribute it .. (and people which get
> these copies won't pay)

So, if his main goal is to get money (which I can understand), with the
new strategy he can just sell one copy and earn 30€ for it, do you think
that's a good business plan? :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-21-2011, 05:28 PM
Tom H

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, I've alredy read it, and...? I still don't get his point. What's the
> gain in limiting its distribution? You can still charge the users for it.

I think that the developer was pissed off by this email:

Old 06-21-2011, 05:41 PM
Brian

On Tue 21 Jun 2011 at 17:10:14 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> Great, but I've also read this (which is the reason why the packages was
> removed):
>
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=609845#60

The Debian maintainer ceased to maintain the package and said why.
Nobody else has stepped forward to take it over - so it is now not in
stable, testing and unstable.

> Maybe he didn't express it in the right way (!?), but now I'm afraid his
> possition is not very clear...

"No. Do what you want" plus the license seems very clear.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:54 PM
Brian

On Tue 21 Jun 2011 at 13:28:11 -0400, Tom H wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Yes, I've alredy read it, and...? I still don't get his point. What's the
> > gain in limiting its distribution? You can still charge the users for it.
>
> I think that the developer was pissed off by this email:
>
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=609845#30

His well-reasoned reply doesn't display this reaction.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 13:28:11 -0400, Tom H wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I've alredy read it, and...? I still don't get his point. What's
>> the gain in limiting its distribution? You can still charge the users
>> for it.
>
> I think that the developer was pissed off by this email:
>
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=609845#30

It is not uncommon to find devels or packagers that are reluctant to do
some or other thing, but if I were the developer of an application I
would just explain my point, as Gilles did.

But I'm afraid somewhere in the way he missed his point (or messed up his
words very badly) and said something we all understodd like a negative to
include the application in Debian.

This seems that has been corrected later, but maybe was "too" late and
now is a bit unclear what kind of agreement/position the developer of the
package stands :-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-21-2011, 06:17 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 18:41:42 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Tue 21 Jun 2011 at 17:10:14 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> Great, but I've also read this (which is the reason why the packages
>> was removed):
>>
>> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=609845#60
>
> The Debian maintainer ceased to maintain the package and said why.
> Nobody else has stepped forward to take it over - so it is now not in
> stable, testing and unstable.

And I understand his decision.

>> Maybe he didn't express it in the right way (!?), but now I'm afraid
>> his possition is not very clear...
>
> "No. Do what you want" plus the license seems very clear.

But that does not sound like a serious claim ("now yes, then no..."). If
I was the package maintainer I'd also have my doubts.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón