Old 06-20-2011, 06:33 PM
maderios

Default X bother consoles

Hi
After changing my hardware, a curious problem appeared with Wheezy and
Squeeze.
When starting X from a console, the space of the other consoles seem
"zoomed": the bottom of the console is not visible but I can always
return the data from the keyboard, "blindly".
The command 'setupcon' restores the normal console but when I restart
X, console is disturbed again. The graphic card is a Nvidia Quadro600 so
I tested kernel mode setting with the driver 'Nouveau': no problem. The
console doesnt seem disturbed because of the framebuffer ..... By cons,
as I have not intend to use Nouveau driver, I would like consoles back
normal. I tested also with another graphics card (MatroxP690, vesa
driver), same problem.

I dont understand how X server can change the consoles display.
Thank you for any help, ideas / suggestions on this oddity.
Maderios

Archive: 4DFF9264.7010402@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DFF9264.7010402@gmail.com

Old 06-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Camaleón

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 20:33:08 +0200, maderios wrote:

> After changing my hardware, a curious problem appeared with Wheezy and
> Squeeze.

I would be nice that you tell us what piece of hardware did you change. I
can guess it's the VGA card but it can be a fan or your sata dvd
recorder, who knows :-P

> When starting X from a console, the space of the other consoles seem
> "zoomed": the bottom of the console is not visible but I can always
> return the data from the keyboard, "blindly". The command 'setupcon'
> restores the normal console but when I restart X, console is disturbed
> again. The graphic card is a Nvidia Quadro600 so I tested kernel mode
> setting with the driver 'Nouveau': no problem.

You mean that nouveau driver works fine?

> The console doesnt seem disturbed because of the framebuffer ..... By
> cons, as I have not intend to use Nouveau driver, I would like consoles
> back normal. I tested also with another graphics card (MatroxP690, vesa
> driver), same problem.
> I dont understand how X server can change the consoles display.

Whatever X driver is in use it takes control of it, for the good and the
bad :-(

> Thank you for any help, ideas / suggestions on this oddity. Maderios

So let's recap.

You want to use nvidia closed driver and get it to work on terminal
consoles, right?

As you already have found the culprit (nvidia driver) and given that this
closed driver is completey up to nvidia, I would start by using the most
up-to-date version (275.09.07) and search in Google about similar cases,
like these, to find a possible workaround:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/45929/virtual-terminals-messed-up-with-proprietary-nvidia-graphics-driver

Giving a whirl to Xorg logs may also help.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-21-2011, 01:37 PM
maderios

After changing my hardware, a curious problem appeared with Wheezy and
Squeeze.

I would be nice that you tell us what piece of hardware did you change. I
can guess it's the VGA card but it can be a fan or your sata dvd
recorder, who knows :-P

Hi
I changed everything (P8P67 motherboard, Intel CoreI7, ....) except
keyboard, mouse and screen

When starting X from a console, the space of the other consoles seem
"zoomed": the bottom of the console is not visible but I can always
return the data from the keyboard, "blindly". The command 'setupcon'
restores the normal console but when I restart X, console is disturbed
again. The graphic card is a Nvidia Quadro600 so I tested kernel mode
setting with the driver 'Nouveau': no problem.

You mean that nouveau driver works fine?

It works fine with KMS, but it doesnt when KMS is disabled.

[...]

As I said above, I tested also with a Matrox P690 PCIe (+vesa driver)
graphic card and I got exactly same display problem => the problem is
not with the nvidia driver

Greatings
Maderios

Archive: 4E009E91.9070808@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E009E91.9070808@gmail.com

Old 06-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 15:37:21 +0200, maderios wrote:

> On 06/21/2011 01:27 PM, Camaleón wrote:

>> I would be nice that you tell us what piece of hardware did you change.
>> I can guess it's the VGA card but it can be a fan or your sata dvd
>> recorder, who knows :-P

> I changed everything (P8P67 motherboard, Intel CoreI7, ....) except
> keyboard, mouse and screen

Oh... more items than I thought.

>> You mean that nouveau driver works fine?

> It works fine with KMS, but it doesnt when KMS is disabled.

When you disabled KMS, what driver was loading the X server?

>> So let's recap.
>>
>> You want to use nvidia closed driver and get it to work on terminal
>> consoles, right?
>>
>> As you already have found the culprit (nvidia driver) and given that
>> this closed driver is completey up to nvidia, I would start by using
>> the most up-to-date version (275.09.07) and search in Google about
>> similar cases, like these, to find a possible workaround:
>>
>> http://askubuntu.com/questions/45929/virtual-terminals-messed-up-with-proprietary-nvidia-graphics-driver
>>
>> Giving a whirl to Xorg logs may also help.
>>

> As I said above, I tested also with a Matrox P690 PCIe (+vesa driver)

Why vesa? Matrox cards should have their own set of X drivers.

> graphic card and I got exactly same display problem => the problem is
> not with the nvidia driver

The problem can be present with both, vesa and nvidia.

Nothing useful at logs?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Lu, 20 iun 11, 20:33:08, maderios wrote:
> Hi
> After changing my hardware, a curious problem appeared with Wheezy
> and Squeeze.
> When starting X from a console, the space of the other consoles seem
> "zoomed": the bottom of the console is not visible but I can always
> return the data from the keyboard, "blindly".
> The command 'setupcon' restores the normal console but when I
> restart X, console is disturbed again. The graphic card is a Nvidia
> Quadro600 so I tested kernel mode setting with the driver 'Nouveau':
> no problem. The console doesnt seem disturbed because of the
> framebuffer ..... By cons, as I have not intend to use Nouveau
> driver, I would like consoles back normal. I tested also with
> another graphics card (MatroxP690, vesa driver), same problem.
> I dont understand how X server can change the consoles display.
> Thank you for any help, ideas / suggestions on this oddity.
> Maderios

Please try this: at the grub prompt press 'e' (like wanting to edit an
entry) and then Ctrl-X (proceed with the boot) and then try to reproduce
the bug.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 06-21-2011, 08:12 PM
maderios

I would be nice that you tell us what piece of hardware did you change.
I can guess it's the VGA card but it can be a fan or your sata dvd
recorder, who knows :-P

I changed everything (P8P67 motherboard, Intel CoreI7, ....) except
keyboard, mouse and screen

Oh... more items than I thought.

You mean that nouveau driver works fine?

It works fine with KMS, but it doesnt when KMS is disabled.

When you disabled KMS, what driver was loading the X server?

"Nouveau" driver

So let's recap.

You want to use nvidia closed driver and get it to work on terminal
consoles, right?

As you already have found the culprit (nvidia driver) and given that
this closed driver is completey up to nvidia, I would start by using
the most up-to-date version (275.09.07) and search in Google about
similar cases, like these, to find a possible workaround:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/45929/virtual-terminals-messed-up-with-proprietary-nvidia-graphics-driver

Giving a whirl to Xorg logs may also help.

As I said above, I tested also with a Matrox P690 PCIe (+vesa driver)

Why vesa? Matrox cards should have their own set of X drivers.
The P690 matrox driver story is an old and famous story ... Matrox
provided out of date (2009 may) driver source on his site. It doesnt
work with recent kernels.
Mga driver (free matrox driver) worked perfectly with my old G550/AGP
Matrox card + "old" motherboard.

I changed this hardware and the problems came......
New hardware: MB sandy bridge + Intel Core I7 + GC nvidia quadro 600

graphic card and I got exactly same display problem => the problem is
not with the nvidia driver

The problem can be present with both, vesa and nvidia.

The problem is present with vesa, nouveau, nvidia and matrox...
My monitor is a LCD (EIZO SX2462W). I tested with another monitor, an
old CRT and I got same problem.

Nothing useful at logs?

The syslog seems "normal", no error message
May be something wrong at the end of the Xorg.0.log with Wheezy ?
With Squeeze, I got the same message "ACPI: failed to connect to the
ACPI event"

99.915] (**) Option "config_info"
"udev:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-1/2-1.2/2-1.2:1.1/input/input5/event5"
[ 99.915] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Logitech
Logitech USB Keyboard" (type: KEYBOARD)

[ 99.915] (**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
[ 99.915] (**) Option "xkb_model" "evdev"
[ 99.915] (**) Option "xkb_layout" "fr"
[ 99.915] (**) Option "xkb_variant" "oss"
[ 99.915] (EE) Logitech Logitech USB Keyboard: failed to initialize
for relative axes.
[ 99.915] (II) Logitech Logitech USB Keyboard: initialized for
absolute axes.
[ 99.915] (**) Logitech Logitech USB Keyboard: (accel) keeping
acceleration scheme 1
[ 99.915] (**) Logitech Logitech USB Keyboard: (accel) acceleration
profile 0
[ 99.915] (**) Logitech Logitech USB Keyboard: (accel) acceleration
factor: 2.000
[ 99.915] (**) Logitech Logitech USB Keyboard: (accel) acceleration
threshold: 4
[ 99.916] (II) config/udev: Adding input device PC Speaker
(/dev/input/event3)

[ 99.916] (II) No input driver/identifier specified (ignoring)
[ 104.015] (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Eizo SX2462W (DFP-2): Failed to set
DisplayPort power state

[ 18285.080] (II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "nvidia-auto-select"
[ 18285.108] (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Eizo SX2462W (DFP-2): Failed to set
DisplayPort power state
[ 18285.212] (II) NVIDIA(0): ACPI: failed to connect to the ACPI event
daemon; the daemon
[ 18285.212] (II) NVIDIA(0): may not be running or the
"AcpidSocketPath" X
[ 18285.212] (II) NVIDIA(0): configuration option may not be set
correctly. When the
[ 18285.212] (II) NVIDIA(0): ACPI event daemon is available, the
NVIDIA X driver will
[ 18285.212] (II) NVIDIA(0): try to use it to receive ACPI event
notifications. For
[ 18285.212] (II) NVIDIA(0): details, please see the
"ConnectToAcpid" and
[ 18285.212] (II) NVIDIA(0): "AcpidSocketPath" X configuration
options in Appendix B: X

[ 18285.212] (II) NVIDIA(0): Config Options in the README.
[ 29821.023] (II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "nvidia-auto-select"
[ 29821.054] (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Eizo SX2462W (DFP-2): Failed to set
DisplayPort power state
[ 29821.164] (II) NVIDIA(0): ACPI: failed to connect to the ACPI event
daemon; the daemon
[ 29821.164] (II) NVIDIA(0): may not be running or the
"AcpidSocketPath" X
[ 29821.164] (II) NVIDIA(0): configuration option may not be set
correctly. When the
[ 29821.164] (II) NVIDIA(0): ACPI event daemon is available, the
NVIDIA X driver will
[ 29821.164] (II) NVIDIA(0): try to use it to receive ACPI event
notifications. For
[ 29821.164] (II) NVIDIA(0): details, please see the
"ConnectToAcpid" and
[ 29821.164] (II) NVIDIA(0): "AcpidSocketPath" X configuration
options in Appendix B: X

[ 29821.164] (II) NVIDIA(0): Config Options in the README.

Greetings
Maderios

Archive: 4E00FB39.4000209@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E00FB39.4000209@gmail.com

Old 06-21-2011, 08:20 PM
maderios

[...]

I tried this and I got the same bug.
Important: I always disable graphical grub interface. I only use Grub menu.
Greetings
Maderios

Archive: 4E00FD04.4060702@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E00FD04.4060702@gmail.com

Old 06-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Camaleón

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 22:12:41 +0200, maderios wrote:

> On 06/21/2011 04:00 PM, Camaleón wrote:

>> When you disabled KMS, what driver was loading the X server?

> "Nouveau" driver

Are you sure? AFAIK, nouveau does not work with KMS disabled :-?

>>> As I said above, I tested also with a Matrox P690 PCIe (+vesa driver)
>>
>> Why vesa? Matrox cards should have their own set of X drivers.

> The P690 matrox driver story is an old and famous story ... Matrox
> provided out of date (2009 may) driver source on his site. It doesnt
> work with recent kernels.

Does Matrox provide an open source driver? If no, have you contacted them
to update it?

> Mga driver (free matrox driver) worked perfectly with my old G550/AGP
> Matrox card + "old" motherboard.
> I changed this hardware and the problems came...... New hardware: MB
> sandy bridge + Intel Core I7 + GC nvidia quadro 600

Of course, a new VGA card with no updated/available drivers lead you to
VESA. But that's Matrox fault.

>>> graphic card and I got exactly same display problem => the problem is
>>> not with the nvidia driver
>>
>> The problem can be present with both, vesa and nvidia.

> The problem is present with vesa, nouveau, nvidia and matrox...

Err... sir, you said that nouveau did work, can you clarify that? It
works or it doesn't work?

And we are talking here about "drivers" not "cards" so what we have is
that vesa and nvidia fails, right?

> My monitor is a LCD (EIZO SX2462W). I tested with another monitor, an
> old CRT and I got same problem.

This is not a display problem, I guess, but a driver issue.

And provided that you need to use the nvidia closed drivers, I would put
all the efforts in making this working, that is, try with another driver
version (if you have the latest and greatest downgrade to another
release, while if you are using Debian's version, try with the latest
one, from nvidia site).

>> Nothing useful at logs?
>>
> The syslog seems "normal", no error message May be something wrong at
> the end of the Xorg.0.log with Wheezy ? With Squeeze, I got the same
> message "ACPI: failed to connect to the ACPI event"

(...)

That message seems to come from the DisplayPort of your monitor, I think
it can be omitted for this matter.

In the meantime, you can open a bug report for the VESA driver, with this
one you should not experiment any console messing.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Camaleón

Old 06-23-2011, 12:48 PM
maderios

When you disabled KMS, what driver was loading the X server?

"Nouveau" driver

Are you sure? AFAIK, nouveau does not work with KMS disabled :-?

May be I'm wrong and I used vesa instead, I can't remember .....
Normally, Nouveau can be disabled
http://wiki.debian.org/KernelModesetting#nVidia_GfxCards
Anyway, Nouveau works with framebuffer. This changes everything for the
console. I dont want to use Nouveau: very poor performance, it works
very badly with Wheezy.

As I said above, I tested also with a Matrox P690 PCIe (+vesa driver)

Why vesa? Matrox cards should have their own set of X drivers.

The P690 matrox driver story is an old and famous story ... Matrox
provided out of date (2009 may) driver source on his site. It doesnt
work with recent kernels.

Does Matrox provide an open source driver? If no, have you contacted them
to update it?

Me & many users contacted Matrox. They dont'care
http://forum.tuxx-home.at/viewforum.php?f=2

Mga driver (free matrox driver) worked perfectly with my old G550/AGP
Matrox card + "old" motherboard.
I changed this hardware and the problems came...... New hardware: MB
sandy bridge + Intel Core I7 + GC nvidia quadro 600

Of course, a new VGA card with no updated/available drivers lead you to
VESA. But that's Matrox fault.

graphic card and I got exactly same display problem => the problem is
not with the nvidia driver

The problem can be present with both, vesa and nvidia.

The problem is present with vesa, nouveau, nvidia and matrox...

Err... sir, you said that nouveau did work, can you clarify that? It
works or it doesn't work?
Explanation: Nouveau can use framebuffer, others drivers don't use
framebuffer.

And we are talking here about "drivers" not "cards" so what we have is
that vesa and nvidia fails, right?

My monitor is a LCD (EIZO SX2462W). I tested with another monitor, an
old CRT and I got same problem.

This is not a display problem, I guess, but a driver issue.

May be it's a problem with sandy bridge support. I got other new
problems since I changed hardware:

- irq conflict (I had to disable firewire to eliminate the bug)
- problem with usb keyboard before booting with grub menu interface
after changing kernel: no key board, I have to do one or several "reset"
to recover keyboard.