FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-23-2011, 02:49 PM
Camaleón
 
Default X bother consoles

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 14:48:29 +0200, maderios wrote:

> On 06/22/2011 01:40 PM, Camaleón wrote:

>>>> When you disabled KMS, what driver was loading the X server?
>>
>>> "Nouveau" driver
>>
>> Are you sure? AFAIK, nouveau does not work with KMS disabled :-?

> May be I'm wrong and I used vesa instead, I can't remember .....
> Normally, Nouveau can be disabled
> http://wiki.debian.org/KernelModesetting#nVidia_GfxCards Anyway, Nouveau
> works with framebuffer. This changes everything for the console. I dont
> want to use Nouveau: very poor performance, it works very badly with
> Wheezy.

Yes, KMS can be disabled (and so nouveau) but after that, you should get
the VESA driver (unless "nv" is still available) or "fb".

KMS is a requirement to use nouveau, or so it says here:

http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/

>> Does Matrox provide an open source driver? If no, have you contacted
>> them to update it?

> Me & many users contacted Matrox. They dont'care
> http://forum.tuxx-home.at/viewforum.php?f=2

Then better discard Matrox as an option for linux, they deserve it >:-)

>>> The problem is present with vesa, nouveau, nvidia and matrox...
>>
>> Err... sir, you said that nouveau did work, can you clarify that? It
>> works or it doesn't work?

> Explanation: Nouveau can use framebuffer, others drivers don't use
> framebuffer.

But framebuffer (fb) is not a nouveau thingy. Radeon and intel drivers
can make use of it, too.

>>> My monitor is a LCD (EIZO SX2462W). I tested with another monitor, an
>>> old CRT and I got same problem.
>>
>> This is not a display problem, I guess, but a driver issue.
>
> May be it's a problem with sandy bridge support. I got other new
> problems since I changed hardware:
> - irq conflict (I had to disable firewire to eliminate the bug)
> - problem with usb keyboard before booting with grub menu interface
> after changing kernel: no key board, I have to do one or several
> "reset" to recover keyboard.

Those problems seems to be totally unrelated with the messing of the
console.

But the main problem here is that you can't open a bug report for nvidia
closed drivers... well, you can, but I guess it will be ignored. So your
only chance is by testing with another driver version and see how it goes
(if you don't want to break you current system, you can test a different
set of driver from a LiveCDs).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.06.23.14.49.21@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.06.23.14.49.21@gmail.com
 
Old 06-23-2011, 04:58 PM
maderios
 
Default X bother consoles

On 06/23/2011 04:49 PM, Camaleón wrote:

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 14:48:29 +0200, maderios wrote:


On 06/22/2011 01:40 PM, Camaleón wrote:



When you disabled KMS, what driver was loading the X server?



"Nouveau" driver


Are you sure? AFAIK, nouveau does not work with KMS disabled :-?



May be I'm wrong and I used vesa instead, I can't remember .....
Normally, Nouveau can be disabled
http://wiki.debian.org/KernelModesetting#nVidia_GfxCards Anyway, Nouveau
works with framebuffer. This changes everything for the console. I dont
want to use Nouveau: very poor performance, it works very badly with
Wheezy.


Yes, KMS can be disabled (and so nouveau) but after that, you should get
the VESA driver (unless "nv" is still available) or "fb".

KMS is a requirement to use nouveau, or so it says here:

http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/


Does Matrox provide an open source driver? If no, have you contacted
them to update it?



Me& many users contacted Matrox. They dont'care
http://forum.tuxx-home.at/viewforum.php?f=2


Then better discard Matrox as an option for linux, they deserve it>:-)

They don't want to sale their new cards....
Free matrox driver (mga) works well with "G" Matrox series.



The problem is present with vesa, nouveau, nvidia and matrox...


Err... sir, you said that nouveau did work, can you clarify that? It
works or it doesn't work?



Explanation: Nouveau can use framebuffer, others drivers don't use
framebuffer.


But framebuffer (fb) is not a nouveau thingy. Radeon and intel drivers
can make use of it, too.


My monitor is a LCD (EIZO SX2462W). I tested with another monitor, an
old CRT and I got same problem.


This is not a display problem, I guess, but a driver issue.


May be it's a problem with sandy bridge support. I got other new
problems since I changed hardware:
- irq conflict (I had to disable firewire to eliminate the bug)
- problem with usb keyboard before booting with grub menu interface
after changing kernel: no key board, I have to do one or several
"reset" to recover keyboard.


Those problems seems to be totally unrelated with the messing of the
console.

But the main problem here is that you can't open a bug report for nvidia
closed drivers... well, you can, but I guess it will be ignored. So your
only chance is by testing with another driver version and see how it goes
(if you don't want to break you current system, you can test a different
set of driver from a LiveCDs).
Vesa driver I used with 2 different graphic cards is also affected by
the bug on my new HW. With my old HW, all was fine (as vesa can work)
when I used this driver, so I don't think this bug may come from closed
nvidia driver. Perhaps, recent sandy bridge platform is not well
supported by linux, right now ?

Thanks for your answers
Greetings
Maderios


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4E0370BB.1060103@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E0370BB.1060103@gmail.com
 
Old 06-23-2011, 05:54 PM
Camaleón
 
Default X bother consoles

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 18:58:35 +0200, maderios wrote:

> On 06/23/2011 04:49 PM, Camaleón wrote:

>>>> Does Matrox provide an open source driver? If no, have you contacted
>>>> them to update it?
>>
>>> Me& many users contacted Matrox. They dont'care
>>> http://forum.tuxx-home.at/viewforum.php?f=2
>>
>> Then better discard Matrox as an option for linux, they deserve it>:-)

> They don't want to sale their new cards.... Free matrox driver (mga)
> works well with "G" Matrox series.

We used to be Matrox users (from G200 up to G550, AGP) but at some point,
Matrox left the PCi-e and 3D VGA race and we had to switch to Nvidia for
our workstations (mostly to Quadro FX and NVS).

Matrox dual-head capability was very nice and convenient but -sadly-
todays market requires more than that and it's a pity because I loved
those cards (very high screen quality and passively cooled) :-(

>>> May be it's a problem with sandy bridge support. I got other new
>>> problems since I changed hardware:
>>> - irq conflict (I had to disable firewire to eliminate the bug) -
>>> problem with usb keyboard before booting with grub menu interface
>>> after changing kernel: no key board, I have to do one or several
>>> "reset" to recover keyboard.
>>
>> Those problems seems to be totally unrelated with the messing of the
>> console.
>>
>> But the main problem here is that you can't open a bug report for
>> nvidia closed drivers... well, you can, but I guess it will be ignored.
>> So your only chance is by testing with another driver version and see
>> how it goes (if you don't want to break you current system, you can
>> test a different set of driver from a LiveCDs).

> Vesa driver I used with 2 different graphic cards is also affected by
> the bug on my new HW. With my old HW, all was fine (as vesa can work)
> when I used this driver, so I don't think this bug may come from closed
> nvidia driver.

Then open a bug report for the VESA driver, being an open driver you
won't have any problem. But again, with your card, you need the closed
driver and reporting the bug can make you feel better but that won't make
you to get rid of the problem with the nvidia driver.

> Perhaps, recent sandy bridge platform is not well supported by linux,
> right now ?
> Thanks for your answers

Dunno (though I don't think so because your problem seems to be a very
common one), just note that Sandy Bridge reached the streets on January,
that's >5 months ago, I mean, is not "so" recent as it could seem.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.06.23.17.54.52@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.06.23.17.54.52@gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:53 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org