Old 06-20-2011, 12:43 PM

Default Segfault on grub update

Hi list,
Did an upgrade on my computer running Wheezy today. grub-pc was one of the packages that needed to be updated. However, it failed with a segfault during the configuration.

Syslog has this to say:Jun 20 20:34:59 argon kernel: [ 8265.445561] grub-probe[31617]: segfault at 14 ip 08077f0a sp bfd40b00 error 4 in grub-probe[8048000+3d000]
Tried to uninstall and reinstall grub2 + grub-pc (stupid, now I don't dare to reboot the computer), but no dice - grub2 refuses to configure because of grub-pc, grub-pc still segfaults.

Tried to run grub-install (with a --debug option):<snip>+ /usr/sbin/grub-probe --device-map=/boot/grub/device.map --target=device /boot/grubSegmentation fault
+ grub_device=+ exit 1root@argon:/#</snip>
Any ideas on why this is happening?
Thanks.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Camaleón

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 20:43:30 +0800, titantoppler wrote:

> Did an upgrade on my computer running Wheezy today. grub-pc was one of
> the packages that needed to be updated. However, it failed with a
> segfault during the configuration.
>
> Syslog has this to say:
> Jun 20 20:34:59 argon kernel: [ 8265.445561] grub-probe[31617]: segfault
> at 14 ip 08077f0a sp bfd40b00 error 4 in grub-probe[8048000+3d000]
>
> Tried to uninstall and reinstall grub2 + grub-pc (stupid, now I don't
> dare to reboot the computer), but no dice - grub2 refuses to configure
> because of grub-pc, grub-pc still segfaults.

(...)

Any side effects? Is the computer bootable? If you can't boot from your
own GRUB, you could use any livecd rescue disk and boot from there unless
it's a remote system.

If the segfault it's still reproducible, I would report it.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-22-2011, 02:43 PM

Thanks for the reply.
I rebooted, and as expected, grub threw up an error - "error: symbol not found: 'grub_divmod64_full' "
Had a bit of free time, and wiped the installation clean and installed Squeeze on it. Changed the repositories over to "testing", then updated everything to Wheezy again. Same segfault and error as previously.

Any ideas?

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.06.21.11.34.28@gmail.com

Old 06-22-2011, 02:43 PM

Old 06-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 22:43:50 +0800, titantoppler wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 7:34 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > Syslog has this to say:
>> > Jun 20 20:34:59 argon kernel: [ 8265.445561] grub-probe[31617]:
>> > segfault at 14 ip 08077f0a sp bfd40b00 error 4 in
>> > grub-probe[8048000+3d000]
>> >
>> > Tried to uninstall and reinstall grub2 + grub-pc (stupid, now I don't
>> > dare to reboot the computer), but no dice - grub2 refuses to
>> > configure because of grub-pc, grub-pc still segfaults.
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> Any side effects? Is the computer bootable? If you can't boot from your
>> own GRUB, you could use any livecd rescue disk and boot from there
>> unless it's a remote system.
>>
>> If the segfault it's still reproducible, I would report it.

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I rebooted, and as expected, grub threw up an error - "error: symbol not
> found: 'grub_divmod64_full' "

(...)

Hey, Google finds something for that ugly error:

(specially comment #20, check if that helps)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 22:43:50 +0800, titantoppler wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 7:34 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > Syslog has this to say:
>> > Jun 20 20:34:59 argon kernel: [ 8265.445561] grub-probe[31617]:
>> > segfault at 14 ip 08077f0a sp bfd40b00 error 4 in
>> > grub-probe[8048000+3d000]
>> >
>> > Tried to uninstall and reinstall grub2 + grub-pc (stupid, now I don't
>> > dare to reboot the computer), but no dice - grub2 refuses to
>> > configure because of grub-pc, grub-pc still segfaults.
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> Any side effects? Is the computer bootable? If you can't boot from your
>> own GRUB, you could use any livecd rescue disk and boot from there
>> unless it's a remote system.
>>
>> If the segfault it's still reproducible, I would report it.

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I rebooted, and as expected, grub threw up an error - "error: symbol not
> found: 'grub_divmod64_full' "

(...)

Old 06-23-2011, 05:49 AM

Hi,
Thanks for the link. I've looked at it, but it doesn't seem to apply to me - the poster in question is running LVM, whereas mine is a straight-up ext4 partition on a single HDD (I have 2 md arrays, but those are for data storage only).

In any case, I did try a dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc, but the same segfault still came up. It was after the dpkg-reconfigure failed that I tried to manually trigger the grub-update / grub-install on my own, but those didn't work too...

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 11:14 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 22:43:50 +0800, titantoppler wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 7:34 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Syslog has this to say:

>> > Jun 20 20:34:59 argon kernel: [ 8265.445561] grub-probe[31617]:

>> > segfault at 14 ip 08077f0a sp bfd40b00 error 4 in

>> > grub-probe[8048000+3d000]

>> > Tried to uninstall and reinstall grub2 + grub-pc (stupid, now I don't

>> > dare to reboot the computer), but no dice - grub2 refuses to

>> > configure because of grub-pc, grub-pc still segfaults.

>> (...)

>> Any side effects? Is the computer bootable? If you can't boot from your

>> own GRUB, you could use any livecd rescue disk and boot from there

>> unless it's a remote system.

>> If the segfault it's still reproducible, I would report it.

> Thanks for the reply.

> I rebooted, and as expected, grub threw up an error - "error: symbol not

> found: 'grub_divmod64_full' "

(...)

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.06.22.15.14.22@gmail.com

Old 06-23-2011, 01:15 PM
Tom H

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 1:49 AM, <titantoppler@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 11:14 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Thanks for the reply.
>> >
>> > I rebooted, and as expected, grub threw up an error - "error: symbol not
>> > found: 'grub_divmod64_full' "
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> Hey, Google finds something for that ugly error:

>> (specially comment #20, check if that helps)
>
> Thanks for the link. I've looked at it, but it doesn't seem to apply to me -
> the poster in question is running LVM, whereas mine is a straight-up ext4
> partition on a single HDD (I have 2 md arrays, but those are for data
> storage only).
> In any case, I did try a dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc, but the same segfault
> still came up. It was after the dpkg-reconfigure failed that I tried to
> manually trigger the grub-update / grub-install on my own, but those didn't
> work too...

How about downgrading grub?

Old 06-23-2011, 02:29 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 13:49:41 +0800, titantoppler wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 11:14 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I rebooted, and as expected, grub threw up an error - "error: symbol
>> > not found: 'grub_divmod64_full' "
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> Hey, Google finds something for that ugly error:

>> (specially comment #20, check if that helps)
>
> Thanks for the link. I've looked at it, but it doesn't seem to apply to
> me - the poster in question is running LVM, whereas mine is a
> straight-up ext4 partition on a single HDD (I have 2 md arrays, but
> those are for data storage only).
>
> In any case, I did try a dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc, but the same segfault
> still came up. It was after the dpkg-reconfigure failed that I tried to
> manually trigger the grub-update / grub-install on my own, but those
> didn't work too...

Wow :-(

And does "upgrade-grub" succeed?

I would try to purge and reinstall grub-pc. If after that it still fails,
I'd go for a bug report.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón