Old 06-20-2011, 12:59 AM
lee

Default Re (2): message threading

peasthope@shaw.ca writes:

> From: lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de>
> Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 00:54:27 +0200
>> You donA't seem to have any "References:" headers, ...
>
> Should the References trace back to the beginning of the thread?

Just look at them, they go back to beginnings of subthreads at
least. With only the In-Reply-To: header, threads would be broken for
everyone whoīs missing a single message of the thread. With the
references, the thread can be displayed even when not all messages are
available.

> In principle, the list processor could copy the References from the
> referenced message and append the id of that message. I don't know
> how it actually works.

It doesnīt work that way. Howīs the MLM software supposed to know if you
refer to articles and to which ones, unless you tell it?

>> The message IA'm replying to is correctly displayed as the top of a new
>> thread.
>
> Yes, I intended to start a new thread on "message threading". Hence
> the subject "message threading; was Re (3): QCAD Pro in Squeeze".

Thatīs why Iīm asking. I think itīs more common to use a new subject
when starting a new thread, and itīs more common to change the subject
like you did within a thread without starting a new one. You changed the
subject as if continuing the thread and made it a new one by omitting
the references, and since the thread is about broken threading, it was
unclear whether your intention was to start a new thread or to continue
the thread with an adjusted subject.

If your MUA doesnīt add the right headers automatically, itīs time to
switch to a better one

Old 08-17-2011, 03:56 AM

* From: lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de>
* Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 02:59:40 +0200
> [References] go back to beginnings of subthreads at
> least. > With only the In-Reply-To: header, threads would be broken ...

section "Message Threading and Replying". Also simplified
the section structure a little and revised a few bad sentences.
If Lee or anyone else can read the page and report an error or
deficiency, that would help. What other topics should be
covered in that page?

Thanks, ... Peter E.

Telephone 1 360 450 2132. bcc: peasthope at shaw.ca