Old 06-20-2011, 12:38 AM
John Mollman

Default Debian Squeeze netinstall doesn't recognize wired connection

Hi all,

I'm going to give Debian Squeeze a try on my netbook, but when I boot
up using the netinstall CD, the installer fails to auto configure the
wired connection with DHCP. I'm thinking the network card in this
netbook (Toshiba NB505) is too new for the kernel 2.6.32.

Is there a special kernel module I could load on startup in order to
get the wired connection to work for the install? After the install, I
plan to use a kernel module to get the wireless working found on this
wiki page: http://wiki.debian.org/rtl819x#Squeeze

Any idea what I should do to get the network card to operate with the
wired connection for the install?

Thanks,
John Mollman

Old 06-20-2011, 09:01 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Du, 19 iun 11, 20:38:37, John Mollman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm going to give Debian Squeeze a try on my netbook, but when I boot
> up using the netinstall CD, the installer fails to auto configure the
> wired connection with DHCP. I'm thinking the network card in this
> netbook (Toshiba NB505) is too new for the kernel 2.6.32.

Maybe your card needs non-free firmware? Try the image with firmware.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 06-20-2011, 09:41 AM
Brian

On Sun 19 Jun 2011 at 20:38:37 -0400, John Mollman wrote:

> I'm going to give Debian Squeeze a try on my netbook, but when I boot
> up using the netinstall CD, the installer fails to auto configure the
> wired connection with DHCP. I'm thinking the network card in this
> netbook (Toshiba NB505) is too new for the kernel 2.6.32.

Doubtless there is another OS installed on your netbook. Use it to
determine the LAN adapter details. Post the details.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:26 AM
Camaleón

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 20:38:37 -0400, John Mollman wrote:

> I'm going to give Debian Squeeze a try on my netbook, but when I boot up
> using the netinstall CD, the installer fails to auto configure the wired
> connection with DHCP. I'm thinking the network card in this netbook
> (Toshiba NB505) is too new for the kernel 2.6.32.

But the installer detects the network adapter?

If yes, try to configure it by hand by providing static values (no DHCP).

> Is there a special kernel module I could load on startup in order to get
> the wired connection to work for the install? After the install, I plan
> to use a kernel module to get the wireless working found on this wiki
> page: http://wiki.debian.org/rtl819x#Squeeze
>
> Any idea what I should do to get the network card to operate with the
> wired connection for the install?

It is listed here:

http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/Toshiba/NB505/

And seems to use a commom ethernet chipset/driver :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón