Old 06-19-2011, 07:47 PM
John Lindgren

Default e4rat broken; ext4_fiemap to be fixed any time soon?

Hi,

After updating a Squeeze system today (hadn't done so for a while), I
find that e4rat (http://e4rat.sourceforge.net/) is broken because it
needs the FS_IOC_FIEMAP ioctl, which is intentionally broken by a kernel
patch dated March 15: ext4-Disable-FS_IOC_FIEMAP-ioctl.patch.

Now, the comment in that patch says, "A fix is pending, but until that
has been well-tested let's disable it." So I'm just wondering, how long
do we have to live with the current EOPNOTSUPP behavior before that fix
is applied?

More info about the e4rat problem here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/e4rat/forums/forum/1392080/topic/4573412.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

-- John Lindgren

Old 06-20-2011, 02:04 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 15:47:21 -0400, John Lindgren wrote:

> After updating a Squeeze system today (hadn't done so for a while), I
> find that e4rat (http://e4rat.sourceforge.net/) is broken because it
> needs the FS_IOC_FIEMAP ioctl, which is intentionally broken by a kernel
> patch dated March 15: ext4-Disable-FS_IOC_FIEMAP-ioctl.patch.

The problem seems quite serious.

> Now, the comment in that patch says, "A fix is pending, but until that
> has been well-tested let's disable it." So I'm just wondering, how long
> do we have to live with the current EOPNOTSUPP behavior before that fix
> is applied?
>
> More info about the e4rat problem here:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/e4rat/forums/forum/1392080/topic/4573412.

Have you considered asking this into debian kernel mailing list? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón