Old 06-19-2011, 07:02 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Default Google search default lang.

Lisi wrote:

On Sunday 19 June 2011 16:55:57 Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Hi,

Using Google search always returns my results in Spanish because Google
has figured out that my ISP is in a Spanish speaking country. But I want
the results in US Eglish and always have to do an extra mouse click on
'Google.com in English'

Apparently Google does not record that I always click on that and
adjusts the default language.

Anybody know how to set the default language for search?

Hugo

Google -> language tools (under "advanced") -> preferences

I use Google-chrome as browser and enter a search by entering it in the
URL/search bar. The resultant screen does not have 'advanced'.

Hugo

Archive: itlh48$sk6$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/itlh48$sk6$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 06-19-2011, 07:03 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Wayne Topa wrote:

Using Google search always returns my results in Spanish because Google
has figured out that my ISP is in a Spanish speaking country. But I want
the results in US Eglish and always have to do an extra mouse click on
'Google.com in English'

Apparently Google does not record that I always click on that and
adjusts the default language.

Anybody know how to set the default language for search?

How about

about:config
font.language.group;x-western
intl.accept_languages;en-us, en

Google-chrome does not have an 'about:config'.

Hugo

Archive: itlh64$sk6$2@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/itlh64$sk6$2@dough.gmane.org

Old 06-19-2011, 08:11 PM
Wayne Topa

Using Google search always returns my results in Spanish because Google
has figured out that my ISP is in a Spanish speaking country. But I want
the results in US Eglish and always have to do an extra mouse click on
'Google.com in English'

Apparently Google does not record that I always click on that and
adjusts the default language.

Anybody know how to set the default language for search?

How about

about:config
font.language.group;x-western
intl.accept_languages;en-us, en

Google-chrome does not have an 'about:config'.

Would not have replied if I knew you were using chrome. You didn't say
that in the OP. Sorry to waste your and my time.

Archive: 4DFE57F1.6010207@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DFE57F1.6010207@gmail.com

Old 06-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Lisi

On Sunday 19 June 2011 20:02:48 Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Lisi wrote:
> > On Sunday 19 June 2011 16:55:57 Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Using Google search always returns my results in Spanish because Google
> >> has figured out that my ISP is in a Spanish speaking country. But I want
> >> the results in US Eglish and always have to do an extra mouse click on
> >> 'Google.com in English'
> >>
> >> Apparently Google does not record that I always click on that and
> >> adjusts the default language.
> >>
> >> Anybody know how to set the default language for search?
> >>
> >> Hugo
> >
> > Google -> language tools (under "advanced") -> preferences
>
> I use Google-chrome as browser and enter a search by entering it in the
> URL/search bar. The resultant screen does not have 'advanced'.
>
> Hugo

Spanner, preferences, under the bonnet, web settings, languages and spell
checkers. (You can, in theory, have one without the other.)

Lisi

Old 06-20-2011, 07:46 AM
Lorenzo Sutton

Hi,

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Using Google search always returns my results in Spanish because
> Google has figured out that my ISP is in a Spanish speaking country.
> But I want the results in US Eglish and always have to do an extra
> mouse click on 'Google.com in English'
>
> Apparently Google does not record that I always click on that and
> adjusts the default language.
>
> Anybody know how to set the default language for search?
I had a similar problem with Italian where I actually want to perform
some searches in English, some in Italian. I made myself a simple custom
(html) homepage with a form for google search with language selection. [1]

Maybe it can be helpful once modified to your use case...

Ciao,
Lorenzo.

[1]: http://paste.debian.net/120412

Old 06-20-2011, 08:35 AM
Dave Sherohman

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 01:14:11PM -0300, Leandro DUTRA wrote:
> 2011/6/19 Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>:
> >
> > Google -> language tools (under "advanced") -> preferences
>
> Even better, set the system???s or the user account???s language.

Oh, if only it were that simple... Most internationalized websites
(including Google) seem to have completely given up on Accept-Language
headers[1] in favor of relying on IP geolocation. I'm an American expat
living in Sweden, so my browsers are set to send

Despite this, every time my Google cookie expires, it sends me the
Swedish version of the page. Setting language preferences on the client
side does *not* work[2] for Google or most other sites.

[1] apparently on the theory that "most users don't know how to set
their preferred lanuages, so the header specifies the browser's default
instead of the user's preference"

[2] even though it damn well should

--
Dave Sherohman

Old 06-20-2011, 08:53 AM
Lorenzo Sutton

Dave Sherohman wrote:
> [---]
> Despite this, every time my Google cookie expires, it sends me the
> Swedish version of the page. Setting language preferences on the client
> side does *not* work[2] for Google or most other sites.
Not to mention the ever-so-bothering location selection thingy which
always pops up in youtube whenever I delete my cookies :-| ...
> [1] apparently on the theory that "most users don't know how to set
> their preferred lanuages, so the header specifies the browser's default
> instead of the user's preference"
Or try and force you to register and (maybe always) log-in so you can
"save your preferences"

Old 06-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Scott Ferguson

On 20/06/11 18:35, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 01:14:11PM -0300, Leandro DUTRA wrote:
>> 2011/6/19 Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> Google -> language tools (under "advanced") -> preferences
>>
>> Even better, set the system???s or the user account???s language.
>
> Oh, if only it were that simple... Most internationalized websites
> (including Google) seem to have completely given up on Accept-Language
> headers[1] in favor of relying on IP geolocation. I'm an American expat
> living in Sweden, so my browsers are set to send

> Despite this, every time my Google cookie expires, it sends me the
> Swedish version of the page. Setting language preferences on the client
> side does *not* work[2] for Google or most other sites.
>

> [1] apparently on the theory that "most users don't know how to set
> their preferred lanuages, so the header specifies the browser's default
> instead of the user's preference"
>
> [2] even though it damn well should

Are you sure this is not also Google's geolocation feature?
Firefox/Iceweasel => about:config => geo.enabled (double-click to disable)

Chrome => spanner_thingie => Options => Under the hood => Location => Do
not allow any site to track my physical location

You can test here:-
http://benwerd.com/lab/geo.php

There used to be are Google url that did the same thing
(www.google.com/nl or similar) I cant' remember the what it was - and
whether it still works.

Cheers

Old 06-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Scott Ferguson

Old 06-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Scott Ferguson wrote:

[...]

Good clues. But google search still shows up in Spanish :-(

Hugo