Old 08-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Walter Hurry

Default Google search default lang.

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 18:39:18 +0000, Camalen wrote:

> Google is now forcing their users to use cookies

Not relevant to the original problem I know, but I use

<http://scroogle.org/scraper.html>

Old 08-14-2011, 05:54 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 14/08/11 04:08, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Hi,

Using Google search always returns my results in Spanish because
Google has figured out that my ISP is in a Spanish speaking country.
But I want the results in US Eglish and always have to do an extra
mouse click on 'Google.com in English'

*cough* some unscrupulous ISPs filter, redirect, and even rewrite search
results - *cough*

To the best of my knowledge Google use geolocation to rank the physical
location of servers in the search results - but *not* language. Default
language is determined by your choice of Iceweasel language packs, then
by system language settings.
Check that dpkg --get-selections | grep iceweasel-l10n-es doesn't return
anything.

Apparently Google does not record that I always click on that and
adjusts the default language.

Anybody know how to set the default language for search?

Thanks for all the answers.

I tried all of them and only 2 work:

1. putting http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0&hl=en in the bookmark
bar of google-chrome (Thanks Camale�n). That is always in English.

Which seems to support the idea that your ISP is the problem....

2. Changing the search engine to Yahoo. That gets me English. But I hate
Yahoo and its Micro$oft random result producer. I tried changing the
search engine to scroogle and that does not work.

duckduckgo is good.

BTW now (13 Aug. 2011) the option in Google search to show results in
English has gone :-( All results are always in Spanish. So much for the
virtual world. I am in Oaxaca whether I like it or not. And I will speak
and write Spanish, whether I like it or not.

Hugo

I can make the location bar do what you wish...
about:config => keywork.url
make the string value:-
https://encrypted.google.com/search?lr=lang_en&q=

Enter a term into the location bar (not the search bar) and hit Enter

But that *should* not be necessary - my Iceweasel search bar returns my
results in en.AU regards of whether I'm in Hong Kong (where the ISPs
have manipulated search results), Texas, or home in Oz. Google does rank
results with a preference given to physical server locations closest to
my ISP, but only when I don't have geolocation disabled (see further down).

My Iceweasel language settings are:-
English/Australia [en-au]
English/United Kingdom [en-gb]
English [en]
English/US [en-us]
(in that order)

Note I don't use the default search plugin - perhaps you could try:-
http://mycroft.mozdev.org/google-search-plugins.html and install a
specific variation (or hack your existing one to use the keyword.url
string I supplied above).

To rule out geolocation as the problem
(http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/geolocation/):-

about:config => geo.

Good luck, feedback appreciated - it does seem to bother a few people.

Cheers

--
“People say "Iraq had the fourth largest army in the world". Yeah,
maybe, but you know what, after the first 3 largest armies, there's a

~ Bill Hicks

Archive: 4E476308.704@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E476308.704@gmail.com

Old 08-14-2011, 07:19 AM
Ivan Shmakov

[…]

> To the best of my knowledge Google use geolocation to rank the
> physical location of servers in the search results - but *not*
> language. Default language is determined by your choice of Iceweasel
> language packs, then by system language settings.

… And, sometimes, the browser's own language settings, which are
used to generate the Accept-Language: HTTP/1.1 header contents.

The situation is like the following here.

If I use http://ipv6.google.com/ (which, I assume, is always
served by the US Google servers), then the “Preferred document
language” Lynx option takes effect. (Examples are MIME'd.)

However, if I use http://www.google.com/ /and/ my preferred
document language is set to “en” (sic.), I get redirected to
http://www.google.ru/ instantly, which is in Russian!

I guess that it was made since the “majority” of users just
cannot be relied upon to configure their browsers properly.
Thus, Accept-Language: en is interpreted as a consuquence of
ignorance, not intent.

[…]

--
FSF associate member #7257 [np. Symphony Number 9 — Beethoven — PBO]
Preferred document language : en ru

--cut: http://ipv6.google.com/ --
Web Images Videos Maps News Shopping Gmail more »
iGoogle | Settings | Sign in

Google
--cut: http://ipv6.google.com/ --

Preferred document language : ru en

--cut: http://ipv6.google.com/ --
Веб Картинки Видео Карты Новости Переводчик Gmail ещё »
Моя страница iGoogle | Настройки | Войти

на русском
--cut: http://ipv6.google.com/ --

Preferred document language : de en ru

--cut: http://ipv6.google.com/ --
Web Bilder Videos Maps News Shopping Google Mail Mehr »
iGoogle | Einstellungen | Anmelden

Deutsch
--cut: http://ipv6.google.com/ --

Old 08-14-2011, 09:26 AM
Camalen

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 21:28:14 +0000, Walter Hurry wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 18:39:18 +0000, Camalen wrote:
>
>> Google is now forcing their users to use cookies
>
> Not relevant to the original problem I know, but I use
>
> <http://scroogle.org/scraper.html>

Yep, I know there are many search engines that are feeding from Google
search results that provide a user-friendly interface, like DuckDuckGo or
the one you mention... but they still lack from another services I find
useful (like I said before, Google image search and news, both of which I
use every day).

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 08-14-2011, 12:35 PM
Scott Ferguson

Using Google search always returns my results in Spanish because Google
has figured out that my ISP is in a Spanish speaking country. But I want
the results in US Eglish and always have to do an extra mouse click on
'Google.com in English'

Apparently Google does not record that I always click on that and
adjusts the default language.

Anybody know how to set the default language for search?

Hugo

Another suggestion - I've made a search plugin for Iceweasel you can
try, please post some feedback (and check your geolocation settings).

http://mycroft.mozdev.org/search-engines.html?author=Scott+Ferguson
It *should* over-ride any other settings. It include SSL and disables
search suggestions (but not auto-complete, still working on that).

Cheers