FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-20-2011, 02:50 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Google search default lang.

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 16:09:09 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> For normal search (not the browser's google search bar, because this one
> is another type of "beast") there are two approaches you can try:
>
> 1. Set the browser's language to "english-us" or "english"
> 2. Use Google's cookies to save your defaults
>
> Google search facility is starting to be a real pain with all that
> presets enabled...

Additional information about Google's auto-location discover service and
how to tweak it:

***
Specify your preferred location
http://www.google.es/support/websearch/bin/static.py?hl=en&page=guide.cs&guide=1224171&answer =179386&rd=1
***

Of course, this is yet another horrible cookie-based setting that cannot
be turned off (like auto-complete search and preview).

Thanks Google for annoy your users with features that no one asked for ;-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.06.20.14.50.03@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.06.20.14.50.03@gmail.com
 
Old 06-20-2011, 03:37 PM
Lisi
 
Default Google search default lang.

On Monday 20 June 2011 13:55:43 Scott Ferguson wrote:
> Chrome => spanner_thingie => Options => Under the hood => Location => Do
> not allow any site to track my physical location

Seems not to be available in the GB version (and yes, Google has, I now
realise, customised mine to British English). I wonder why they think that
people speaking US English are going to be more paranoid than those of us
this side of the pond????

Lisi


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201106201637.48611.lisi.reisz@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/201106201637.48611.lisi.reisz@gmail.com
 
Old 06-22-2011, 08:39 AM
Dave Sherohman
 
Default Google search default lang.

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 10:55:43PM +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 20/06/11 18:35, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> > Oh, if only it were that simple... Most internationalized websites
> > (including Google) seem to have completely given up on Accept-Language
> > headers[1] in favor of relying on IP geolocation. I'm an American expat
> > living in Sweden, so my browsers are set to send
> >
> > Accept-Language: en-us, en, sv-se
> >
> > Despite this, every time my Google cookie expires, it sends me the
> > Swedish version of the page. Setting language preferences on the client
> > side does *not* work[2] for Google or most other sites.
> >
> >
> > [1] apparently on the theory that "most users don't know how to set
> > their preferred lanuages, so the header specifies the browser's default
> > instead of the user's preference"
> >
> > [2] even though it damn well should
> >
>
> Are you sure this is not also Google's geolocation feature?

My point is that geolocation should not matter. Yes, I am physically in
Sweden, however my Accept-Language header explicitly states that Swedish
is NOT my preferred language. Documents should be provided in en-us if
available, then en, and only sv-se if no English version is available,
regardless of my location.

How they determine my physical location (IP geolocation vs.
approximating based on google's database of wireless access point
locations vs. GPS vs. triangulating from cell towers vs. picking me out
of a spy satellite image vs. whatever else) is completely irrelevant to
this point.

--
Dave Sherohman


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110622083907.GC11350@sherohman.org">http://lists.debian.org/20110622083907.GC11350@sherohman.org
 
Old 06-22-2011, 09:39 AM
Scott Ferguson
 
Default Google search default lang.

On 22/06/11 18:39, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 10:55:43PM +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> On 20/06/11 18:35, Dave Sherohman wrote:
>>> Oh, if only it were that simple... Most internationalized
>>> websites (including Google) seem to have completely given up on
>>> Accept-Language headers[1] in favor of relying on IP geolocation.
>>> I'm an American expat living in Sweden, so my browsers are set to
>>> send
>>>
>>> Accept-Language: en-us, en, sv-se
>>>
>>> Despite this, every time my Google cookie expires, it sends me
>>> the Swedish version of the page. Setting language preferences on
>>> the client side does *not* work[2] for Google or most other
>>> sites.
>>>
>>>
>>> [1] apparently on the theory that "most users don't know how to
>>> set their preferred lanuages, so the header specifies the
>>> browser's default instead of the user's preference"
>>>
>>> [2] even though it damn well should
>>>
>>
>> Are you sure this is not also Google's geolocation feature?
>
> My point is that geolocation should not matter.

No argument there.

All you have to do now is convince the search engines.

> Yes, I am physically in Sweden, however my Accept-Language header
> explicitly states that Swedish is NOT my preferred language.
> Documents should be provided in en-us if available, then en, and only
> sv-se if no English version is available, regardless of my location.
>
> How they determine my physical location (IP geolocation vs.
> approximating based on google's database of wireless access point
> locations vs. GPS vs. triangulating from cell towers vs. picking me
> out of a spy satellite image vs. whatever else) is completely
> irrelevant to this point.
>

Thanks for sharing for your problem solving technique.

Cheers


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4E01B84C.4080001@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E01B84C.4080001@gmail.com
 
Old 06-22-2011, 07:32 PM
he who
 
Default Google search default lang.

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 6:49 AM, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:
> Scott Ferguson wrote:
>>
>> On 20/06/11 18:35, Dave Sherohman wrote:
>>>
>>> On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 01:14:11PM -0300, Leandro DUTRA wrote:
>>>>
>>>> 2011/6/19 Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>:
>>>>>
>>>>> Google -> language tools (under "advanced") -> preferences
>>>>
>>>> Even better, set the system???s or the user account???s language.
>>>
>>> Oh, if only it were that simple... *Most internationalized websites
>>> (including Google) seem to have completely given up on Accept-Language
>>> headers[1] in favor of relying on IP geolocation. *I'm an American expat
>>> living in Sweden, so my browsers are set to send
>>>
>>> Accept-Language: en-us, en, sv-se
>>>
>>> Despite this, every time my Google cookie expires, it sends me the
>>> Swedish version of the page. *Setting language preferences on the client
>>> side does *not* work[2] for Google or most other sites.
>>>
>>>
>>> [1] apparently on the theory that "most users don't know how to set
>>> their preferred lanuages, so the header specifies the browser's default
>>> instead of the user's preference"
>>>
>>> [2] even though it damn well should
>>>
>>
>> Are you sure this is not also Google's geolocation feature?
>> Firefox/Iceweasel => about:config => geo.enabled (double-click to disable)
>>
>> Chrome => spanner_thingie => Options => Under the hood => Location => Do
>> not allow any site to track my physical location
>>
>> You can test here:-
>> http://benwerd.com/lab/geo.php
>>
>> There used to be are Google url that did the same thing
>> (www.google.com/nl or similar) I cant' remember the what it was - and
>> whether it still works.
>>
>
> Good clues. But google search still shows up in Spanish :-(
>

Not a technical solution, but what happens if you use scroogle?

--
Regards,
Freeman


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTi=Sbg26yfWbrdnWv=RjD47-hag9hg@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTi=Sbg26yfWbrdnWv=RjD47-hag9hg@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 06-24-2011, 02:23 AM
Oscar Nuñez
 
Default Google search default lang.

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Hi,

Using Google search always returns my results in Spanish because Google
has figured out that my ISP is in a Spanish speaking country. But I want
the results in US Eglish and always have to do an extra mouse click on
'Google.com in English'


Apparently Google does not record that I always click on that and
adjusts the default language.


Anybody know how to set the default language for search?

Hugo




I look in the thread and I don't see any reference at this link which
can be reached clicking on the upper right corner in the gear image, the
link is:


http://www.google.com/preferences?hl=en

there with cookies enabled and without the need to be signed in, you can
configure some Google preferences, and in theory should solve your problem.


HTH

Oscar


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4E03F51A.8040703@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E03F51A.8040703@gmail.com
 
Old 06-24-2011, 02:19 PM
Mike Castle
 
Default Google search default lang.

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 8:55 AM, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Using Google search always returns my results in Spanish because Google has
> figured out that my ISP is in a Spanish speaking country. But I want the
> results in US Eglish and always have to do an extra mouse click on
> 'Google.com in English'
>
> Apparently Google does not record that I always click on that and adjusts
> the default language.
>
> Anybody know how to set the default language for search?

There has been a recent discussion of this over on Hacker News:
http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2673898

Well, OK, looks like the discussion is mostly about personalization of
search results, but geo-location and guessing languages does fit into
that.

Searching for that page for the word English seems to indicate that it
might be a bug.

Also, it looks like the reason Google (and other websites) do this is
because there seems to be a large number of browsers out there with
Accept-Language set incorrectly, so anything that says English is just
tossed out and whatever left is used (and if there is nothing left,
geo-locate). I thought at one point en-gb would work, but some recent
testing I tried failed (but it was only about 10seconds worth of
testing).

mrc


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTim4m2jf28mzMuqSGPus6eriHY=EvQ@mail.gmail.com ">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTim4m2jf28mzMuqSGPus6eriHY=EvQ@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 06-24-2011, 02:19 PM
Mike Castle
 
Default Google search default lang.

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 8:55 AM, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Using Google search always returns my results in Spanish because Google has
> figured out that my ISP is in a Spanish speaking country. But I want the
> results in US Eglish and always have to do an extra mouse click on
> 'Google.com in English'
>
> Apparently Google does not record that I always click on that and adjusts
> the default language.
>
> Anybody know how to set the default language for search?

There has been a recent discussion of this over on Hacker News:
http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2673898

Well, OK, looks like the discussion is mostly about personalization of
search results, but geo-location and guessing languages does fit into
that.

Searching for that page for the word English seems to indicate that it
might be a bug.

Also, it looks like the reason Google (and other websites) do this is
because there seems to be a large number of browsers out there with
Accept-Language set incorrectly, so anything that says English is just
tossed out and whatever left is used (and if there is nothing left,
geo-locate). I thought at one point en-gb would work, but some recent
testing I tried failed (but it was only about 10seconds worth of
testing).

mrc


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTim4m2jf28mzMuqSGPus6eriHY=EvQ@mail.gmail.com ">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTim4m2jf28mzMuqSGPus6eriHY=EvQ@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 08-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom
 
Default Google search default lang.

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Hi,

Using Google search always returns my results in Spanish because Google
has figured out that my ISP is in a Spanish speaking country. But I want
the results in US Eglish and always have to do an extra mouse click on
'Google.com in English'


Apparently Google does not record that I always click on that and
adjusts the default language.


Anybody know how to set the default language for search?




Thanks for all the answers.

I tried all of them and only 2 work:

1. putting http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0&hl=en in the bookmark
bar of google-chrome (Thanks Camaleón). That is always in English.
2. Changing the search engine to Yahoo. That gets me English. But I hate
Yahoo and its Micro$oft random result producer. I tried changing the
search engine to scroogle and that does not work.


BTW now (13 Aug. 2011) the option in Google search to show results in
English has gone :-( All results are always in Spanish. So much for the
virtual world. I am in Oaxaca whether I like it or not. And I will speak
and write Spanish, whether I like it or not.


Hugo


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: j26eip$6uu$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/j26eip$6uu$1@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 08-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Google search default lang.

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 13:08:24 -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

(...)

> Thanks for all the answers.
>
> I tried all of them and only 2 work:
>
> 1. putting http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0&hl=en in the bookmark
> bar of google-chrome (Thanks Camaleón). That is always in English.
> 2. Changing the search engine to Yahoo. That gets me English. But I hate
> Yahoo and its Micro$oft random result producer. I tried changing the
> search engine to scroogle and that does not work.
>
> BTW now (13 Aug. 2011) the option in Google search to show results in
> English has gone :-( All results are always in Spanish. So much for the
> virtual world. I am in Oaxaca whether I like it or not. And I will speak
> and write Spanish, whether I like it or not.

I finally gave it up.

The first Google page I open from bookmarks it remains in English but
just that, the rest of the pages take their own preferences like if they
were alive, kinda Google-HAL...

(BTW, I cannot completely turn off "auto-completion" nor disabling that
silly snapshot preview for the web pages...).

Google is now forcing their users to use cookies (sorry Google but I
always remove all the cookies when I close the browser) and login into
your account to keep/set our settings (and not all of the setting can eb
controlled from there), we like it or not and there is nothing we can do
to change that damn no-sense policies ;-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.08.13.18.39.17@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.08.13.18.39.17@gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:20 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org