Old 06-19-2011, 03:55 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Default Google search default lang.

Hi,

Using Google search always returns my results in Spanish because Google
has figured out that my ISP is in a Spanish speaking country. But I want
the results in US Eglish and always have to do an extra mouse click on
'Google.com in English'

Apparently Google does not record that I always click on that and
adjusts the default language.

Anybody know how to set the default language for search?

Hugo

Archive: itl65u$39n$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/itl65u$39n$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 06-19-2011, 04:05 PM
Lisi

On Sunday 19 June 2011 16:55:57 Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Using Google search always returns my results in Spanish because Google
> has figured out that my ISP is in a Spanish speaking country. But I want
> the results in US Eglish and always have to do an extra mouse click on
> 'Google.com in English'
>
> Apparently Google does not record that I always click on that and
> adjusts the default language.
>
> Anybody know how to set the default language for search?
>
> Hugo

Google -> language tools (under "advanced") -> preferences

HTH
Lisi

Old 06-19-2011, 04:09 PM
Camaleůn

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 10:55:57 -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> Using Google search always returns my results in Spanish because Google
> has figured out that my ISP is in a Spanish speaking country. But I want
> the results in US Eglish and always have to do an extra mouse click on
> 'Google.com in English'

Yeah, that's annoying :-(

I had to manually bookmark this page to get the English one:

http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0&hl=en

Which, of course, only works when I start searching by clicking on that
bookmark.

> Apparently Google does not record that I always click on that and
> adjusts the default language.
>
> Anybody know how to set the default language for search?

For normal search (not the browser's google search bar, because this one
is another type of "beast") there are two approaches you can try:

1. Set the browser's language to "english-us" or "english"
2. Use Google's cookies to save your defaults

Google search facility is starting to be a real pain with all that
presets enabled...

Greetings,

--
Camaleůn

Old 06-19-2011, 04:14 PM
Leandro DUTRA

2011/6/19 Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>:

> Google -> language tools (under "advanced") -> preferences

Even better, set the system’s or the user account’s language.

--
Skype:leandro.gfc.dutra?chat¬* ¬* ¬* Yahoo!: ymsgr:sendIM?lgcdutra
+55 (61) 3546 7191¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* Google Talk: xmpp:leandrod@jabber.org

Old 06-19-2011, 05:28 PM
Wayne Topa

Using Google search always returns my results in Spanish because Google
has figured out that my ISP is in a Spanish speaking country. But I want
the results in US Eglish and always have to do an extra mouse click on
'Google.com in English'

Apparently Google does not record that I always click on that and
adjusts the default language.

Anybody know how to set the default language for search?

How about

about:config
font.language.group;x-western
intl.accept_languages;en-us, en