-   -   CPU freq scaling script and OT debian-user-digest Digest V2011 #1178 (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/541559-cpu-freq-scaling-script-ot-debian-user-digest-digest-v2011-1178-a.html)

Ralf Mardorf 06-19-2011 02:14 PM

CPU freq scaling script and OT debian-user-digest Digest V2011 #1178

On Sun, 2011-06-19 at 12:59 +0000,
> email message attachment

And where exactly is written that they do sync Linux audio as slave to
VTR such as Bosch and Sony by SMPTE? Please, I need this, show me a link
to the FLOSS software I can use to do it.

They do the complete NLE with Linux? I also need such a NLE app, please
post me a link, where I can get it.

What exactly are those studios doing with Linux?

Pardon, but you are mistaken, they do some stuff, especially animation,
special FX, but not the important cut, audio sync etc..

This is all a video production needs? Animation?

Again you need to sync audio, you need to cut a film etc..

Links to the valid software?

> > we all have to
> > read manuals and ask questions... again, not everyone knows about all.

No, there are standards for professional audio and video work. You don't
need to read manuals. You also don't need to read the Linux Ardour
manual etc., if you know this standards, but you need to read why you
get glitches, because of settings that ignore the rt kernel CPU
frequency scaling governor's default setting ;) etc., but you don't know
what to read as a newbie ;).

I guess this discussion can be closed. Right?

Does Hollywood only produce animation films?

> > this
> > has nothing to do with a kernel setting that handles the cpu frequency

Right, it's a mix of the topic and OT. OTOH multimedia is an issue for
Linux, even that there's professional for software available. There are
reasons that even the professional software isn't used that much, e.g. a
lack of hardware. I need to buy a RME card for Linux, for other OS I
could buy other professional audio cards too, I don't know any other
vendor, but RME for Linux (there still might be some other vendors, but
it's hard to get information).

If it would be easier for users to use Linux for multimedia, more users
would use it and more vendors would take care to support their hardware
for Linux. Btw. usage of Linu with e.g. RME cards isn't supported by the
vendor, but by the Linux community. I guess the coders need to buy those
cards them self.

Again, I guess this discussion can be closed. Right?

Regards,

Ralf

Camaleón 06-19-2011 03:09 PM

CPU freq scaling script and OT debian-user-digest Digest V2011 #1178

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 16:14:13 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

(removed some stuff to make it readable...)

>> > Sorry to contradict that, but most of the major film studios
>> > (Dreamworks Animation, Industrial Light & Magic, Pixar and Weta
>> > Digital) have migrated to Linux and not just in servers but their
>> > workstations.
>> >
>> > And this is not _my_claim:
>> >
>> > http://edigitales.org/hollywood-select-linux-for-animation/
>
> This is all a video production needs? Animation?

Yes and yes.

You should have specidfied what type of wideo you were talking about. Of
course, making a 3D animation film _is_ about video production but not
the one you had in mind, I guess.

> Again you need to sync audio, you need to cut a film etc..
>
> Links to the valid software?

You do have apps for non-linear video software and audio editing in
linux. You really want links?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_editing_software
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_audio_software#Recording.2C_editing_ and_mastering

And you will also find interesting this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_audio_software#Distributions

>> > we all have to
>> > read manuals and ask questions... again, not everyone knows about
>> > all.
>
> No, there are standards for professional audio and video work. You don't
> need to read manuals. You also don't need to read the Linux Ardour
> manual etc., if you know this standards,

I worked with AutoCAD and 3D Max applications and heck, you will need
more that a good book to understand and know all of the program
functionalities... And yes, I also worked with web design tools (all
based in a well-know set of standards, you know) and still need to read
how to apply one or other tag or what are the new properties available
for them...

> but you need to read why you
> get glitches, because of settings that ignore the rt kernel CPU
> frequency scaling governor's default setting ;) etc., but you don't know
> what to read as a newbie ;).

And what kind of relation/link do you see in having a standard and do not
have to read manuals? We all work with standards and we all need to read
manuals to know how does an application work! Any application. And should
you have forget it, your system (your kernel) is another application you
need to configure.

> I guess this discussion can be closed. Right?

I'm only replying to some of the misconceptions you seem to have.

>> > Non-linear editors? Then you mean broadcasting companies?
>
> Does Hollywood only produce animation films?

Dunno, you have to be more specific in your claims. IIRC, you just said
"video production" and that covers a wide sector.

>> > this
>> > has nothing to do with a kernel setting that handles the cpu
>> > frequency
>
> Right, it's a mix of the topic and OT. OTOH multimedia is an issue for
> Linux, even that there's professional for software available. There are
> reasons that even the professional software isn't used that much, e.g. a
> lack of hardware. I need to buy a RME card for Linux, for other OS I
> could buy other professional audio cards too, I don't know any other
> vendor, but RME for Linux (there still might be some other vendors, but
> it's hard to get information).

I agree, but then you have to complain to hardware or software vendors,
not to a default kernel setting.

> If it would be easier for users to use Linux for multimedia, more users
> would use it and more vendors would take care to support their hardware
> for Linux.

Wrong approach, IMO.

It would be easier if more software and hardware vendors will provide the
tools for making them available for linux. I think that kernel developers
very welcome all open source code and they work hard to make all of the
supported hardware available for us.

> Btw. usage of Linu with e.g. RME cards isn't supported by the
> vendor, but by the Linux community. I guess the coders need to buy those
> cards them self.

Again, availability of hardware and software is up to manufacturers.
Fight against them.

> Again, I guess this discussion can be closed. Right?

You are still replying :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón