Old 06-19-2011, 02:22 PM
Camalen

Default Debian wheezy:machine auto booted after poweroff

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 15:13:37 +0800, yuanwei xu wrote:

> After upgrade from Squeeze to Wheezy, my notebook always auto booted
> after I shutdowned it using #poweroff in gnome terminal. Sometimes, it
> auto booted in 1 minutes, sometimes in 3 minutes after poweroff. I have
> to use #poweroff to shutdown it once more, and it wouldn't auto boot
> anymore.
> I tried to go back to kernel 2.6.32-5-686, it didn't have such problem.

So it could be a kernel related issue... There are others reporting a
similar problem:

Computer is not turned off at shutdown

unexpected reboot after rebooting or shutting down from Ubuntu 11.04

> and I compiled kernel 2.6.39.1 using oldconfig of 2.6.38-2-686, the auto
> boot still happened.
> It made me crazy, any advice is appreciated.

(...)

Make a quick test: go to "init 1" and try to shutdown from there
(shutdown -h now).

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 06-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Camalen

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 22:43:06 +0800, yuanwei xu wrote:

> 2011/6/19 Camalen <noelamac@gmail.com>:
>> On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 15:13:37 +0800, yuanwei xu wrote:
>>
>>> After upgrade from Squeeze to Wheezy, my notebook always auto booted
>>> after I shutdowned it using #poweroff in gnome terminal. Sometimes, it
>>> auto booted in 1 minutes, sometimes in 3 minutes after poweroff. I
>>> have to *use #poweroff to shutdown it once more, and it wouldn't auto
>>> boot anymore.
>>> I tried to go back to kernel 2.6.32-5-686, it didn't have such
>>> problem.
>>
>> So it could be a kernel related issue... There are others reporting a
>> similar problem:
>>
>> Computer is not turned off at shutdown
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/762203
>>
>> unexpected reboot after rebooting or shutting down from Ubuntu 11.04
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/791089
>>
>>> and I compiled kernel 2.6.39.1 using oldconfig of 2.6.38-2-686, the
>>> auto boot still happened.
>>> It made me crazy, any advice is appreciated.
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> Make a quick test: go to "init 1" and try to shutdown from there
>> (shutdown -h now).
>
> Yes, it works, thanks for your reply. Hope there will be a final
> solution soon.

It worked?? Hum... I didn't expect it did.

This could be something to investigate further. At a first glance I can
think in acpi being the culprit... is the "acpid" service loaded in
single-user mode?

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 06-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Camalen

Old 06-23-2011, 03:07 PM
Camalen

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 22:07:29 +0800, yuanwei xu wrote:

> 2011/6/22 Camalen <noelamac@gmail.com>:

>>> Yes, it works, thanks for your reply. Hope there will be a final
>>> solution soon.
>>
>> It worked?? Hum... I didn't expect it did.
>
> At least, it had not auto booted in one night after "#init 1" and
> "#poweroff".

Good.

>> This could be something to investigate further. At a first glance I can
>> think in acpi being the culprit... is the "acpid" service loaded in
>> single-user mode?
>
> In /etc/rc2.d, $ls | grep acpi, there are files:
>
> S18acpi-fakekey
> S19acpid
> S19acpi-support
> In /etc/rc1.d,$ls | grep acpi, there is file:
> K01acpi-support

Hum... so at init 1 there is no "acpid" service running on background.
This can be relevant for your issue when powering off the machine... How
about stopping "acpid" service on a normal session and then try to
shutdown the machine? Just to test with other variant...

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 06-26-2011, 10:17 AM
Camalen

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 16:37:19 +0800, xuyuanwei wrote:

>> 2011/6/23 yuanwei xu <xuyuanwei@gmail.com>:
>> > 2011/6/23 Camalen <noelamac@gmail.com>:

(...)

> In /etc/rc2.d, i disabled "acpi-fakekey","acpid" and "acpi-support",the
> auto start problem still happened,both 2.6.38-2-686 and 2.6.39-2-686-pae
> kernel.

Take a look into dmesg, just in case there is something suspicious in
there:

dmesg | grep -i -e acpi -e bios

And also think in opening a bug report, now is the time to handle testing
problems.

> It seems the problem has something to do with the uptime, but more
> observation is needed.

With uptime? How is that? :-?

Greetings,

--