Old 06-19-2011, 01:46 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default How to get rid of the 'Wastebasket' and other icons on the GNOME2 desktop?

Hi,

I had no success using Google.

Where are the settings to get rid of 'Computer', 'User's home' and
especially the 'Wastebasket' on the GNOME /Desktop?

I never use the 'Wastebasket' and I don't like other icons either on
the /Desptop.

Regards,

Ralf

Old 06-19-2011, 02:13 PM
Patrick Wiseman

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 9:46 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had no success using Google.
>
> Where are the settings to get rid of 'Computer', 'User's home' and
> especially the 'Wastebasket' on the GNOME /Desktop?
>
> I never use the 'Wastebasket' and I don't like other icons either on
> the /Desptop.

What's in your ~/Desktop directory?

Patrick

Old 06-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 15:46:27 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> I had no success using Google.

That's a bad excuse ;-P

> Where are the settings to get rid of 'Computer', 'User's home' and
> especially the 'Wastebasket' on the GNOME /Desktop?

(...)

Open gnome gconf and find the appropiate keys:

/apps/nautilus/desktop/computer_icon_visible
/apps/nautilus/desktop/trash_icon_visible
/apps/nautilus/desktop/home_icon_visible

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-19-2011, 02:31 PM
Dennis Schulmeister

Hi,

That's easy. The desktop is drawn by nautilus. Thus you need to look at
the following gconf path: /apps/nautilus/desktop. There you find
settings like computer_icon_visible, home_icon_visible and so on.

Yours sincerely,
Dennis Schulmeister

--
Volle Kontaktdaten auf WikiBerd: (http://there-is.no-ip.org)
Complete contact data on WikiBerd: (http://there-is.no-ip.org)

http://www.denchris.de - http://www.motagator.net/bands/65

<GnuPG KeyIDs: B8382C97, 01AD62DE>

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 16:10:02 +0200

Old 06-19-2011, 03:02 PM
John Jason Jordan

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 15:46:27 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> dijo:

>Where are the settings to get rid of 'Computer', 'User's home' and
>especially the 'Wastebasket' on the GNOME /Desktop?
>
>I never use the 'Wastebasket' and I don't like other icons either on
>the /Desptop.

On my Fedora 14 computer with Gnome 2.32.0 the setting is in
Applications > System Tools > Configuration Editor. In the
Configuration Editor window go to apps > nautilus > preferences and
uncheck the box for show_desktop.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Patrick Wiseman

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 11:02 AM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 15:46:27 +0200
> Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> dijo:
>
>>Where are the settings to get rid of 'Computer', 'User's home' and
>>especially the 'Wastebasket' on the GNOME /Desktop?
>>
>>I never use the 'Wastebasket' and I don't like other icons either on
>>the /Desptop.
>
> On my Fedora 14 computer with Gnome 2.32.0 the setting is in
> Applications > System Tools > Configuration Editor. In the
> Configuration Editor window go to apps > nautilus > preferences and
> uncheck the box for show_desktop.

If you do that you'll also disable right-clicking on the desktop. As
others have said, you can selectively remove the default icons, in
apps/nautilus/icon_view. (And my other question, about what's in
~/Desktop, was irrelevant; that only affects things other than the
default icons. Sorry for the misdirection.)

Patrick