-   -   How to get rid of the 'Wastebasket' and other icons on the GNOME2 desktop? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/541556-how-get-rid-wastebasket-other-icons-gnome2-desktop.html)

Ralf Mardorf 06-19-2011 01:46 PM

How to get rid of the 'Wastebasket' and other icons on the GNOME2 desktop?

Hi,

I had no success using Google.

Where are the settings to get rid of 'Computer', 'User's home' and
especially the 'Wastebasket' on the GNOME /Desktop?

I never use the 'Wastebasket' and I don't like other icons either on
the /Desptop.

Regards,

Ralf

Patrick Wiseman 06-19-2011 02:13 PM

How to get rid of the 'Wastebasket' and other icons on the GNOME2 desktop?

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 9:46 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had no success using Google.
>
> Where are the settings to get rid of 'Computer', 'User's home' and
> especially the 'Wastebasket' on the GNOME /Desktop?
>
> I never use the 'Wastebasket' and I don't like other icons either on
> the /Desptop.

What's in your ~/Desktop directory?

Patrick

Camaleón 06-19-2011 02:26 PM

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 15:46:27 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> I had no success using Google.

That's a bad excuse ;-P

> Where are the settings to get rid of 'Computer', 'User's home' and
> especially the 'Wastebasket' on the GNOME /Desktop?

(...)

Open gnome gconf and find the appropiate keys:

/apps/nautilus/desktop/computer_icon_visible
/apps/nautilus/desktop/trash_icon_visible
/apps/nautilus/desktop/home_icon_visible

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Dennis Schulmeister 06-19-2011 02:31 PM

How to get rid of the 'Wastebasket' and other icons on the GNOME2 desktop?

Hi,

That's easy. The desktop is drawn by nautilus. Thus you need to look at
the following gconf path: /apps/nautilus/desktop. There you find
settings like computer_icon_visible, home_icon_visible and so on.

Yours sincerely,
Dennis Schulmeister

--
Volle Kontaktdaten auf WikiBerd: (http://there-is.no-ip.org)
Complete contact data on WikiBerd: (http://there-is.no-ip.org)

http://www.denchris.de - http://www.motagator.net/bands/65

<GnuPG KeyIDs: B8382C97, 01AD62DE>

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 16:10:02 +0200

John Jason Jordan 06-19-2011 03:02 PM

Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> dijo:

>Where are the settings to get rid of 'Computer', 'User's home' and
>especially the 'Wastebasket' on the GNOME /Desktop?
>
>I never use the 'Wastebasket' and I don't like other icons either on
>the /Desptop.

On my Fedora 14 computer with Gnome 2.32.0 the setting is in
Applications > System Tools > Configuration Editor. In the
Configuration Editor window go to apps > nautilus > preferences and
uncheck the box for show_desktop.

Patrick Wiseman 06-19-2011 03:14 PM

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 11:02 AM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 15:46:27 +0200
> Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> dijo:
>
>>Where are the settings to get rid of 'Computer', 'User's home' and
>>especially the 'Wastebasket' on the GNOME /Desktop?
>>
>>I never use the 'Wastebasket' and I don't like other icons either on
>>the /Desptop.
>
> On my Fedora 14 computer with Gnome 2.32.0 the setting is in
> Applications > System Tools > Configuration Editor. In the
> Configuration Editor window go to apps > nautilus > preferences and
> uncheck the box for show_desktop.

If you do that you'll also disable right-clicking on the desktop. As
others have said, you can selectively remove the default icons, in
apps/nautilus/icon_view. (And my other question, about what's in
~/Desktop, was irrelevant; that only affects things other than the
default icons. Sorry for the misdirection.)

Patrick