Old 06-19-2011, 09:05 AM
Hendrik Boom

Default trouble booting a copied lenny root partition.

Is lenny's grub incapable of booting from a LVM on RAID parition?
I just copied my / partition (which was /dev/hda3) to a larger partition
that's managed by LVM, modified the copied /etc/fstab and the original
partition's /boot/grub/menu.lst, and when I tried booting from the new
partition, got

waiting for root file system.

Just what is it doing when it is waiting for the root file system?

By the way, aptitude tells me

i grub 0.97-47len 0.97-47len

-- hendrik

Old 06-19-2011, 09:16 AM
bruno

Is lenny's grub incapable of booting from a LVM on RAID parition?
I just copied my / partition (which was /dev/hda3) to a larger partition
that's managed by LVM, modified the copied /etc/fstab and the original
partition's /boot/grub/menu.lst, and when I tried booting from the new
partition, got

waiting for root file system.

Just what is it doing when it is waiting for the root file system?

By the way, aptitude tells me

i grub 0.97-47len 0.97-47len

-- hendrik

From what I understood, you need grub2 to boot on LVM+RAID device.

Bruno

Archive: 4DFDBE88.5030301@cyberoso.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DFDBE88.5030301@cyberoso.com

Old 06-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Hendrik Boom

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 11:16:56 +0200, bruno wrote:

> On 19/06/2011 11:05, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>> Is lenny's grub incapable of booting from a LVM on RAID parition? I
>> just copied my / partition (which was /dev/hda3) to a larger partition
>> that's managed by LVM, modified the copied /etc/fstab and the original
>> partition's /boot/grub/menu.lst, and when I tried booting from the new
>> partition, got
>>
>> waiting for root file system.
>>
>> Just what is it doing when it is waiting for the root file system?
>>
>> By the way, aptitude tells me
>>
>> i grub 0.97-47len 0.97-47len
>>

>> -- hendrik
>>

> From what I understood, you need grub2 to boot on LVM+RAID device.
>
> Bruno

To what extend does the /boot have to match the / ? Cab I use the /boot
within the / for the old system to boot the / for the new system? As long
as I take care to keep it updated with enough extra kernels and stuff?

Or, more plausibly, would it be enough for /boot to be outside LVM on
RAID? Or does all of / have to be there?

-- hendrik