FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-19-2011, 06:44 AM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default CPU freq scaling script - debian-user-digest Digest V2011 #1175

On Sat, 2011-06-18 at 23:50 +0000,
debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 11:46:18 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> (...)
>
> > I would welcome, if more people would use Linux instead of
> Microsoft and
> > Apple, at least for audio productions. I don't think it's
> possible to
> > use Linux for professional video productions at the moment.
> At least
> > some coders claim that it will take a long time until this
> will be
> > possible.
>
> That's an unbelievable claim.
>
> Most of the render farms and multimedia clusters are using
> linux not only
> to perform the intensive tasks but also in their workstations.

That's not true. I worked for famous companies in the past, so not only
what by the Linux community is called 'professional', but what I call
'real professional'. Anyway, I suspect that most people guess I'm a
troll, so don't believe me, but at least believe coders from the Linux
community and READ what they claim, e.g. read the LAU archive from this
month, mails such as this one:

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Alexandre Prokoudine
To: linux-audio-user <linux-audio-user@lists.linuxaudio.org>
Subject: Re: [LAU] A3 video prev: syncing partially out of sync video
and audio in existing files
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 01:06:16 +0400

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 8:49 AM, pshirkey wrote:

> I can't see any other reasons for the major distros not to have a
fully
> working and well integrated multimedia productions suite by now.

There's every single reason why it doesn't happen. But the ones that
define status quo the most are:

1. Fragmentation of efforts
2. Lack of technically competent developers
3. Lack of collaboration between projects
4. Immature frameworks
5. Lack of sustainable business models behind development

I could write long explanation to each and every one of these points,
but maybe not at 1:04am. Especially since they don't need explanations
to anyone who's been around in free software world for long enough.

> After all the tools are being used in one way or another by all the
> major motion picture houses these days and a lot of the development
> is being driven by industry requirements.

Really? Yes, some of the largest studios such as Disney and Universal
actually use Linux (Red Hat) for animation, texturing and VFX. But
they don't use any of NLE for Linux. And do you now why?

1. They have workflows built around proprietary tools. Some studios
keep using goddamn unsupported Apple Shake for VFX simply because of
workflows.

2. The free NLEs are simply not stable enough for production.

3. Only two NLEs for Linux support higher than 8bit per color channel
pipelines. Of them Cinelerra is buggy as hell, and Blender has a very
naive color management. Would you really produce DPX out of clipped
data? Or lose time because of bugs? Really?

> IMO, there is definitely something fishy going on.

Yes, it's called "not being good enough".

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
Linux-audio-user@lists.linuxaudio.org
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user

>
> > Anyway, using audio is possible, but with many, many
> problems and those
> > problems should be eliminated.
>
> And the problem you refer can be eliminated within seconds...

No, because the users aren't aware of the reason.
>
> > The more audio users, the more vendors of professional audio
> cards
> > would take care about Linux.
>
> What I still don't get is your interest in making a default
> setting to
> help only a limited set of users... Can you tell me why on
> earth a multi-
> purpose linux distribution (like Debian is) should focus in a
> specific
> area, like audio? You know, real-time kernels and tweaks for
> audio lovers
> are the opposite of what a plain server needs ;-)

Servers are set up by computer experts, audio workstations have to be
pre-build tools.

Regards,

Ralf
>
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1308465884.2207.44.camel@debian">http://lists.debian.org/1308465884.2207.44.camel@debian
 
Old 06-19-2011, 11:18 AM
Camaleón
 
Default CPU freq scaling script - debian-user-digest Digest V2011 #1175

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 08:44:44 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Sat, 2011-06-18 at 23:50 +0000,
> debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 11:46:18 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> > I would welcome, if more people would use Linux instead of
>> Microsoft and
>> > Apple, at least for audio productions. I don't think it's
>> possible to
>> > use Linux for professional video productions at the moment.
>> At least
>> > some coders claim that it will take a long time until this
>> will be
>> > possible.
>>
>> That's an unbelievable claim.
>>
>> Most of the render farms and multimedia clusters are using
>> linux not only
>> to perform the intensive tasks but also in their workstations.
>
> That's not true. I worked for famous companies in the past, so not only
> what by the Linux community is called 'professional', but what I call
> 'real professional'.

Sorry to contradict that, but most of the major film studios (Dreamworks
Animation, Industrial Light & Magic, Pixar and Weta Digital) have
migrated to Linux and not just in servers but their workstations.

And this is not _my_claim:

http://edigitales.org/hollywood-select-linux-for-animation/

> Anyway, I suspect that most people guess I'm a troll,

I don't think you're a troll, it's just you seem to be requesting for a
default setting that will only make happy a little part of the linux
users, so IMO, that has not much sense.

> so don't believe me, but at least believe coders from the Linux
> community and READ what they claim, e.g. read the LAU archive from this
> month, mails such as this one:

(...)

Post already read.

With all the respects, there are distributions out there that are focused
to the multimedia (audio/video) sector, in the same way there are other
distributions focused to scientific tasks or to kids, or DYS or...
whatever! You can even rent a set of programmers and make your own super-
media linux suite. What we have in the linux world is a big variety of
choices for almost anything so complaining on this is a bit senseless,
again, IMO.

>
>> > Anyway, using audio is possible, but with many, many
>> problems and those
>> > problems should be eliminated.
>>
>> And the problem you refer can be eliminated within seconds...
>
> No, because the users aren't aware of the reason.

You are there to tell. This is Linux, we all have to question many
things! Not everyone knows about all.

>> > The more audio users, the more vendors of professional audio
>> cards
>> > would take care about Linux.
>>
>> What I still don't get is your interest in making a default
>> setting to
>> help only a limited set of users... Can you tell me why on
>> earth a multi-
>> purpose linux distribution (like Debian is) should focus in a
>> specific
>> area, like audio? You know, real-time kernels and tweaks for
>> audio lovers
>> are the opposite of what a plain server needs ;-)
>
> Servers are set up by computer experts,

Not necessarily. Many windows admins migrate to linux to start with it
and they become newbies when it comes to linux configuration and setup.

> audio workstations have to be pre-build tools.

What you seem to bypass is that e-v-e-r-y-o-n-e will have to read, find
and ask. Read, find, ask. Despite he is a master and commander of the
"multimedia" or a linux hacker, or a windows expert... we all have to
read manuals and ask questions... again, not everyone knows about all. If
you need a special setup for your workstation, ask! If it is possible,
someone will tell.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.06.19.11.18.47@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.06.19.11.18.47@gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:07 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org