Old 06-19-2011, 05:30 AM
John Mollman

Default Not authorized to mount flash drive with normal account

Hi,

I am still unable to mount my flash drive on Debian wheezy with a
normal user account. I have tried adding myself to the 'plugdev' group
with the command 'usermod -a -G plugdev john' but that doesn't seem to
work. I am, however, able to mount and browse the flash drive as root
using Thunar.

I am running Openbox with tint2, and I start them with the 'startx'
command with the .xinitrc file. Could there possibly be an issue from
that? Possibly with udisks or udev? Any ideas on what I should? I'm
thinking about doing another reinstall but I highly doubt that would
fix this issue.

Thanks,
John

Old 06-19-2011, 11:57 AM
Wayne Topa

On 06/19/2011 01:30 AM, John Mollman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am still unable to mount my flash drive on Debian wheezy with a
> normal user account. I have tried adding myself to the 'plugdev' group
> with the command 'usermod -a -G plugdev john' but that doesn't seem to
> work. I am, however, able to mount and browse the flash drive as root
> using Thunar.

try
$john groups

That will show you the groups you are in.

> I am running Openbox with tint2, and I start them with the 'startx'
> command with the .xinitrc file. Could there possibly be an issue from
> that? Possibly with udisks or udev? Any ideas on what I should? I'm
> thinking about doing another reinstall but I highly doubt that would
> fix this issue.

I don't think so. I run fluxbox the same way as you and it is working
ok there.

Take a look at the pmount package.

HTH
Wayne

Old 06-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Go Linux

Some time ago I had a similar persistent problem in Hardy. I tried many things but the only way I could solve it was by adding an entry in fstab for my flash drives. That worked for me because I rarely had to mount any other drives but those two:

UUID=4C27-9760 /media/disk vfat user,umask=007,utf8,flush,noauto 0 0
UUID=3FF1-8D24 /media/disk2 vfat user,umask=007,utf8,flush,noauto 0 0

Old 06-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Patrick Wiseman

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 1:30 AM, John Mollman <jw.mollman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am still unable to mount my flash drive on Debian wheezy with a
> normal user account. I have tried adding myself to the 'plugdev' group
> with the command 'usermod -a -G plugdev john' but that doesn't seem to
> work. I am, however, able to mount and browse the flash drive as root
> using Thunar.

I had the same problem and (with the help of this list) found it was a
bug in consolekit. Downgrade to consolekit 0.4.1-4, reboot, and the
problem should go away. I just recently tried upgrading, recreated
the problem, downgraded, and now all is well again. I'm now holding
consolekit at that version. The bug is #597937, and it does not
appear that it's ever going to be fixed!

Patrick

Old 06-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Nuno Magalh„es

Hi,

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 16:00, Patrick Wiseman <pwiseman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Downgrade to consolekit 0.4.1-4, reboot, and the
> problem should go away.

I just did an aptitude safe-upgrade on my Sid after pinning consolekit
to 0.4.1-4 and now i can mount as a normal user again.

HTH and thanks,
Nuno