Old 06-18-2011, 11:50 PM
Tom H

Default What controls X?

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 11:41 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Mmm, I dunno what holds that variable "$@" but it has to be documented
>>> somewhere ("man startx" or "man xserver") :-?
>>
>> $@ is a bash positional parameter not an X-specific variable.
>
> Mmm, good but, what exactly holds?

It holds vt7.

As I said later in my earlier reply, I gave up on finding out its source...

>>> I've always thought that X server sets the first available vt for the x
>>> window system so I wonder why X server cannot dispose of vt7 to
>>> allocate the kdm/gdm session.
>>
>> I tried to look for its source some time ago and gave up quickly. I'm
>> not running GNOME so this is from memory: the parent process of "exec
>> /usr/bin/X ..." calls a variable of the form "/org/gnome/<something>". I
>> thought that it might be a gconf key that might hold the VT but I didn't
>> find it.
>
> I've made some findings. By reading this bug report:

> I followed the suggested steps and edited "/etc/gdm3/daemon.conf" (this is
> a wheezey system):
>
> [daemon]
> (...)
> FirstVT=9
>
> Restarted and seems it worked:
>
> test@debian:~$ grep -i vt /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> [ * *37.345] (++) using VT number 9
>
> So at least we have found where we can set this under GNOME.

"FirstVT" used to be an upstream variable but its was dropped in the
upgrade from 2.20 to 2.24 and the Debian maintainer seems to be
applying a patch in order to perpetuate it in Debian.

Anyway, I don't think that this a solution to the OP's problem, unless
I'm misremembering it. No matter what is set as FirstVT, you can end
up at a higher number after logging out and logging back in because
console-kit-daemon would've kept that VT allocated.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Camaleón

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 19:50:13 -0400, Tom H wrote:

>>> $@ is a bash positional parameter not an X-specific variable.
>>
>> Mmm, good but, what exactly holds?
>
> It holds vt7.

Just "vt7"?

> As I said later in my earlier reply, I gave up on finding out its
> source...

But you said it wasn't a specific X variable. If it's the VT number, sure
it is ;-)

>>> I tried to look for its source some time ago and gave up quickly. I'm
>>> not running GNOME so this is from memory: the parent process of "exec
>>> /usr/bin/X ..." calls a variable of the form "/org/gnome/<something>".
>>> I thought that it might be a gconf key that might hold the VT but I
>>> didn't find it.
>>
>> I've made some findings. By reading this bug report:

(...)

> "FirstVT" used to be an upstream variable but its was dropped in the
> upgrade from 2.20 to 2.24 and the Debian maintainer seems to be applying
> a patch in order to perpetuate it in Debian.

There must a reason for doing that and regardless of its convenience, it
works fine.

> Anyway, I don't think that this a solution to the OP's problem, unless
> I'm misremembering it. No matter what is set as FirstVT, you can end up
> at a higher number after logging out and logging back in because
> console-kit-daemon would've kept that VT allocated.

I was not looking for a solution to the OP's problem, I've already said
that VT is automatically assigned, defaulting to VT7 -as inittab seems to
say-, and I guess that if it is taken it jumps to the next available. So
the problem here is knowing why and when it jumps.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-21-2011, 11:59 AM
Vincent Lefevre

On 2011-06-18 11:25:13 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 22:37:57 +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> > after some update long time ago, kdm is starting on console 9 instead od
> > console 7 (which is deafult).
>
> I've also noticed that time ago under GNOME.

I use gdm3, and I notice that the X server runs on a random console,
which may be 7, 8 or 9.

> After booting, tty7 holded the X session but after a while it
> automagically jumped to tty8 but I no longer see this behaviour or maybe
> is that just didn't notice again.
>
> > I could still not find out, where X is controlled at. I found this
> > process:
> >
> > root 10358 7.8 1.9 146300 41052 tty10 Rs+ 19:13 14:11
> > /usr/bin/X :0 vt10 -br -nolisten tcp -auth /var/run/xauth/A:0-DzJNF

Here gdm3 doesn't run X, but Xorg:

root 12874 12873 0 Jun20 tty9 00:01:11 /usr/bin/Xorg :0 -br -verbose -audit 0 -novtswitch -auth /var/run/gdm3/auth-for-Debian-gdm-AnLrqy/database -nolisten tcp vt9

perhaps because it is started by root, thus doesn't need to be suid
like X. So, /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc isn't used.