Old 06-18-2011, 03:45 PM
Hoang Le

Default Right click to mouse ISO without script ?

Hi everybody,
May I ask if there's any way to mount an ISO file by right click on it without using script? I'm using Gnome on Squeeze.
I see a lot if guides on the internet to make script and then rightclick -> script -> <scriptname>

But why can't I just rightclick and choose something like "Mount ISO file" or even double click on that iso file to mount by default?
Thank you very much,Hoang Le

Old 06-18-2011, 04:08 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 22:45:39 +0700, Hoang Le wrote:

> May I ask if there's any way to mount an ISO file by right click on it
> without using script? I'm using Gnome on Squeeze.

(...)

"Without using a script"? :-)

Well, there are nautilus scripts, look:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/mount-and-unmout-iso-images-without-burning-them.html

There are some packages available in Debian repos for those nautilus
scripts, but not sure if this to mount ISO files is there.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-18-2011, 04:28 PM
Hoang Le

yes I mean "without". I mean, users unnecessarily know whether they are using a script or not to open that file. If there's a support software/script/or whatever installed, then simple just double-click to open if it's the default action. Explicitly choosing the script name under "Scripts" submenu seems odd to me

Don't you see that in Windows, if support software is installed, we just need to double-click or right-click on the file and chose something like "Open with ABC"

Old 06-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 23:28:20 +0700, Hoang Le wrote:

> yes I mean "without".

Well, more than "without" I think it should be "with hidden" script
because for nautilus scripts (and so the name), there is a script that
has to be run :-)

> I mean, users unnecessarily know whether they are using a script or not
> to open that file.

True, but better if they know how stuff works, right?

> If there's a support software/script/or whatever installed, then simple
> just double-click to open if it's the default action. Explicitly
> choosing the script name under "Scripts" submenu seems odd to me

Odd or not, this is how nautilus scripts work. Maybe you can find another
way to mimic windows behaviour.

> Don't you see that in Windows, if support software is installed, we just
> need to double-click or right-click on the file and chose something like
> "Open with ABC"

Yes, that's called "file association" that is also available under linux.
In fact, when I download an ISO image I get an "Extract here" context menu,
like this:

http://www.linux-support.com/cms/en/component/content/article/57665-how-to-mount-iso-images

See? You are plenty of options :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-19-2011, 10:32 AM
Hoang Le

I think your*Archive Mounter in your link is exactly what I'm looking for, but I couldn't find it on Debian.
I found another solution:*http://techthrob.com/2009/03/02/howto-add-items-to-the-right-click-menu-in-nautilus/*which is quite good but I still wish I could move up my custom action to the top.

Best regards,Hoang Le

Old 06-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Camaleón

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 17:32:38 +0700, Hoang Le wrote:

> I think your Archive Mounter in your link is exactly what I'm looking
> for, but I couldn't find it on Debian.

It seems it is still not there:

***
Please provide archive mounter
***

> I found another solution:
> http://techthrob.com/2009/03/02/howto-add-items-to-the-right-click-menu-in-nautilus/
> which is quite good but I still wish I could move up my custom action
> to the top.

"Nautilus-actions" is available for squeeze but then you will still have
to add your custom "script" that performs the mount operation for the ISO
>;-)

http://www.webupd8.org/2009/03/mount-iso-files-linux-on-right-click.html

Greetings,

--