Old 06-17-2011, 08:37 PM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

Default What controls X?

Hi list,

after some update long time ago, kdm is starting on console 9 instead od
console 7 (which is deafult).

I could still not find out, where X is controlled at. I found this process:

root 10358 7.8 1.9 146300 41052 tty10 Rs+ 19:13 14:11 /usr/bin/X :0
vt10 -br -nolisten tcp -auth /var/run/xauth/A:0-DzJNF

Examing the system, I found in /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc

exec /usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp "$@"

where "$@" I suppose is the console-number.

But where does it get from? In kdmrc the terminal is configured, that it should
use the next free console (ServerVTs=-7).File /etc/inittab is identically like
on my other computers, where X is still running on console 7.

Just on my amd64-system it is started wrong. Although it is not a big problem
at all, I am very interested, how things work together, as I found no
misconfigured configuration yet.

It would be nice, if someone might point me, which configs are involved, and
maybe which steps I should check, to get X back to console 7.

(besides: Of course, it is working, if I change

ServerVTs=-7

but as this setting is workingh on all my other systems, I want to leave it as
set by default and find out, why the same settings differ only on this special
machine.

Hope, someone knwos better, as I try to solve this now since months.

Best regards

Hans

Old 06-17-2011, 08:49 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
[...]

I note that with gdm3 X jumps to console 8 upon restart of gdm3.

Hugo

Archive: itgeku$mos$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/itgeku$mos$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 06-17-2011, 09:10 PM
Freeman

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 03:49:50PM -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> >Hi list,
> >
> >after some update long time ago, kdm is starting on console 9
> >instead od console 7 (which is deafult).
> >
> >I could still not find out, where X is controlled at. I found this process:
> >
> >root 10358 7.8 1.9 146300 41052 tty10 Rs+ 19:13 14:11
> >/usr/bin/X :0 vt10 -br -nolisten tcp -auth
> >/var/run/xauth/A:0-DzJNF
> >
> >Examing the system, I found in /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc
> >
> >exec /usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp "$@"
> >
> >where "$@" I suppose is the console-number.
> >
> >But where does it get from? In kdmrc the terminal is configured,
> >that it should use the next free console (ServerVTs=-7).File
> >/etc/inittab is identically like on my other computers, where X is
> >still running on console 7.
> >
> >Just on my amd64-system it is started wrong. Although it is not a
> >big problem at all, I am very interested, how things work
> >together, as I found no misconfigured configuration yet.
> >
> >It would be nice, if someone might point me, which configs are
> >involved, and maybe which steps I should check, to get X back to
> >console 7.
> >
> >(besides: Of course, it is working, if I change
> >
> >ServerVTs=-7
> >
> >but as this setting is workingh on all my other systems, I want to
> >leave it as set by default and find out, why the same settings
> >differ only on this special machine.
> >
> >Hope, someone knwos better, as I try to solve this now since months.
> >

> I note that with gdm3 X jumps to console 8 upon restart of gdm3.
>
> Hugo

I've had the impression that X has been showing up in random consoles ever
since squeeze testing but I never looked into it.

Freeman

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody

Old 06-18-2011, 01:13 AM
Kelly Clowers

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 14:10, Freeman <hewho7@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've had the impression that X has been showing up in random consoles ever
> since squeeze testing but I never looked into it.

It may be worth noting that it is always on 7 when using startx,
instead of a *dm.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 06-18-2011, 01:41 AM
Tom H

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 4:37 PM, Hans-J. Ullrich <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:

> after some update long time ago, kdm is starting on console 9 instead od
> console 7 (which is deafult).
>
> I could still not find out, where X is controlled at. I found this process:
>
> root * * 10358 *7.8 *1.9 146300 41052 tty10 * *Rs+ *19:13 *14:11 /usr/bin/X :0
> vt10 -br -nolisten tcp -auth /var/run/xauth/A:0-DzJNF
>
> Examing the system, I found in /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc
>
> exec /usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp "$@"
>
> where "$@" I suppose is the console-number.
>
> But where does it get from? In kdmrc the terminal is configured, that it should
> use the next free console (ServerVTs=-7).File /etc/inittab is identically like
> on my other computers, where X is still running on console 7.
>
> Just on my amd64-system it is started wrong. Although it is not a big problem
> at all, I am very interested, how things work together, as I found no
> misconfigured configuration yet.
>
> It would be nice, if someone might point me, which configs are involved, and
> maybe which steps I should check, to get X back to console 7.
>
> (besides: Of course, it is working, if I change
>
> ServerVTs=-7
>
> but as this setting is workingh on all my other systems, I want to leave it as
> set by default and find out, why the same settings differ only on this special
> machine.

If you run "kill -HUP console-kit-daemon", you can then run "deallocvt
7" and re-use vt7.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:25 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 22:37:57 +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:

> after some update long time ago, kdm is starting on console 9 instead od
> console 7 (which is deafult).

I've also noticed that time ago under GNOME.

After booting, tty7 holded the X session but after a while it
automagically jumped to tty8 but I no longer see this behaviour or maybe
is that just didn't notice again.

> I could still not find out, where X is controlled at. I found this
> process:
>
> root 10358 7.8 1.9 146300 41052 tty10 Rs+ 19:13 14:11
> /usr/bin/X :0 vt10 -br -nolisten tcp -auth /var/run/xauth/A:0-DzJNF

stt008:~# grep -i vt /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(++) using VT number 7

> Examing the system, I found in /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc
>
> exec /usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp "$@"
>
> where "$@" I suppose is the console-number.

Mmm, I dunno what holds that variable "$@" but it has to be documented
somewhere ("man startx" or "man xserver") :-?

> But where does it get from?

(...)

I've always thought that X server sets the first available vt for the x
window system so I wonder why X server cannot dispose of vt7 to allocate
the kdm/gdm session.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-18-2011, 12:18 PM
Tom H

$@ is a bash positional parameter not an X-specific variable.

>> But where does it get from?
>
> I've always thought that X server sets the first available vt for the x
> window system so I wonder why X server cannot dispose of vt7 to allocate
> the kdm/gdm session.

I tried to look for its source some time ago and gave up quickly. I'm
not running GNOME so this is from memory: the parent process of "exec
/usr/bin/X ..." calls a variable of the form "/org/gnome/<something>".
I thought that it might be a gconf key that might hold the VT but I
didn't find it.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:41 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 08:18:50 -0400, Tom H wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 7:25 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Examing the system, I found in /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc
>>>
>>> exec /usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp "$@"
>>>
>>> where "$@" I suppose is the console-number.
>>
>> Mmm, I dunno what holds that variable "$@" but it has to be documented
>> somewhere ("man startx" or "man xserver") :-?
>
> $@ is a bash positional parameter not an X-specific variable.

Mmm, good but, what exactly holds?

>>> But where does it get from?
>>
>> I've always thought that X server sets the first available vt for the x
>> window system so I wonder why X server cannot dispose of vt7 to
>> allocate the kdm/gdm session.
>
> I tried to look for its source some time ago and gave up quickly. I'm
> not running GNOME so this is from memory: the parent process of "exec
> /usr/bin/X ..." calls a variable of the form "/org/gnome/<something>". I
> thought that it might be a gconf key that might hold the VT but I didn't
> find it.

I've made some findings. By reading this bug report:

I followed the suggested steps and edited "/etc/gdm3/daemon.conf" (this is
a wheezey system):

[daemon]
(...)
FirstVT=9

Restarted and seems it worked:

test@debian:~$ grep -i vt /var/log/Xorg.0.log
[ 37.345] (++) using VT number 9

So at least we have found where we can set this under GNOME.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón