Old 06-17-2011, 04:55 PM
AG

Default How to stipulate default applications in GNOME

Hey list

In GNOME, if the options selected under "preferred applications" for
browsers doesn't get applied, how can I set an application to be the
default?

Case in point: I use Kmail & Icedove, and want Iceape as my default
browser for clicking links, etc. Icedove remembers this and complies,
but KMail keeps opening Konqueror. I seem to recall that there was a
way I could set up a default, but don't remember the specifics.

Also, whilst on this topic, is there a centralised location in which all
these kinds of commands are listed? I've looked through the wiki and
cannot lay eyes on anything, but I had in mind the commands to set
sun-java as the default (I do know how to do that), set default
applications, etc. The wiki has the instruction on setting up
flashplayer-plugin but I was hoping to find maybe a list of these tips
and tricks that the seasoned veterans would know.

Any ideas?

Thanks - as always.

AG

Archive: 4DFB86FC.8010206@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DFB86FC.8010206@gmail.com

Old 06-17-2011, 05:48 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 17:55:24 +0100, AG wrote:

> In GNOME, if the options selected under "preferred applications" for
> browsers doesn't get applied, how can I set an application to be the
> default?

Hum... it depends.

> Case in point: I use Kmail & Icedove, and want Iceape as my default
> browser for clicking links, etc. Icedove remembers this and complies,
> but KMail keeps opening Konqueror. I seem to recall that there was a
> way I could set up a default, but don't remember the specifics.

Have you tried using Konqueror's file association? *.html/*.htm → Iceape

I am a bit outdated with today's konqueror capabilities but in the age of
KDE 3.5.x there existed such menu :-)

> Also, whilst on this topic, is there a centralised location in which all
> these kinds of commands are listed? I've looked through the wiki and
> cannot lay eyes on anything, but I had in mind the commands to set
> sun-java as the default (I do know how to do that), set default
> applications, etc. The wiki has the instruction on setting up
> flashplayer-plugin but I was hoping to find maybe a list of these tips
> and tricks that the seasoned veterans would know.
>
> Any ideas?

Well, that depends.

Desktop environments tend to... "facilitate"? (sigh, I really doubt it)
user's life by developing their default applications/applets to manage
this (file association/mime types and handlers) and in addition to this,
there is also "update-alternatives" that can be used system wide to set
some default applications like the java version or flash plugin to use
but sometimes it conflicts with DE own settings/file configurations.

And to make things even more difficult, you are running a KDE application
inside a GNOME session so how to set the defaults may vary dependening on
the app you're talking about ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-17-2011, 07:38 PM
Philipp berbacher

Excerpts from AG's message of 2011-06-17 18:55:24 +0200:
> Hey list
>
> In GNOME, if the options selected under "preferred applications" for
> browsers doesn't get applied, how can I set an application to be the
> default?
>
> Case in point: I use Kmail & Icedove, and want Iceape as my default
> browser for clicking links, etc. Icedove remembers this and complies,
> but KMail keeps opening Konqueror. I seem to recall that there was a
> way I could set up a default, but don't remember the specifics.
>
> Also, whilst on this topic, is there a centralised location in which all
> these kinds of commands are listed? I've looked through the wiki and
> cannot lay eyes on anything, but I had in mind the commands to set
> sun-java as the default (I do know how to do that), set default
> applications, etc. The wiki has the instruction on setting up
> flashplayer-plugin but I was hoping to find maybe a list of these tips
> and tricks that the seasoned veterans would know.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks - as always.
>
> AG

There's the xdg stuff, developed by freedesktop.org, which is in theory
desktop independent. xdg-settings or xdg-mime is likely what you're
after. My experience with those things was rather bad though, especially
xdg-settings has a lot of DE specific stuff in it and didn't work at all
on my machine that doesn't have a DE. So it's a DE-independent CLI tool
that doesn't work without a DE running DE's have their own tools for
the same stuff afaik. It's a somewhat messy situation in my opinion.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:23 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Vi, 17 iun 11, 17:55:24, AG wrote:
> Hey list
>
> In GNOME, if the options selected under "preferred applications" for
> browsers doesn't get applied, how can I set an application to be the
> default?
>
> Case in point: I use Kmail & Icedove, and want Iceape as my default
> browser for clicking links, etc. Icedove remembers this and
> complies, but KMail keeps opening Konqueror. I seem to recall that
> there was a way I could set up a default, but don't remember the
> specifics.

Since KMail is a KDE app you probably need to do the change in KDE's
control center. Check also (as root):

update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

Regards,
Andrei

Old 06-20-2011, 09:12 AM
mark

In the KDE control center:
KDE Components
Component Chooser
--- Web Browser
----in the following browser: /usr/bin iceweasel
Apply.

Mark

Old 06-20-2011, 08:22 PM
AG

In GNOME, if the options selected under "preferred applications" for
browsers doesn't get applied, how can I set an application to be the
default?

Case in point: I use Kmail& Icedove, and want Iceape as my default
browser for clicking links, etc. Icedove remembers this and
complies, but KMail keeps opening Konqueror. I seem to recall that
there was a way I could set up a default, but don't remember the
specifics.

Since KMail is a KDE app you probably need to do the change in KDE's
control center. Check also (as root):

update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

Regards,
Andrei

Andrei

Thanks - have now finally been able to get around to doing this.

Can you shine a light on why Konqueror is likely to have been assigned
100 as a priority number and how can I change that, especially since
doing the update and selecting Iceape didn't change the default browser
triggered from within KMail?

There are 5 choices for the alternative x-www-browser (providing
/usr/bin/x-www-browser).

Selection Path Priority Status
0 /usr/bin/konqueror 100 auto mode
1 /usr/bin/epiphany-browser 85 manual mode
* 2 /usr/bin/iceape 80 manual mode
3 /usr/bin/iceweasel 70 manual mode
4 /usr/bin/konqueror 100 manual mode
5 /usr/bin/swiftfox 70 manual mode

Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number:

I only have a few KDE apps installed - KMail, KAddressbook, Amarok,
Konqueror and maybe a few KDE games, so unless I deliberately install
KDE Control Center (or whatever it is called) I will have to try and
adjust it via GNOME. I have already listed Iceape as my preferred
browser under the GNOME preferred applications option.

Thanks for your help

AG

Archive: 4DFFAC22.4060504@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DFFAC22.4060504@gmail.com

Old 06-20-2011, 08:49 PM
ZykoticK9

In GNOME, if the options selected under "preferred applications" for
browsers doesn't get applied, how can I set an application to be the
default?

Along with x-www-browser, something else that may, or may not, be an
issue is the value of gnome-www-browser.

George