Old 06-17-2011, 12:42 AM
Bill

Default Update Manage borked

Hi folks,

I had to shutdown my laptop before update manager had finished
completing it's latest updates. Now it hangs when restarting,
one part probably thinks it's in the process of doing something,
and another part is waiting for it to complete. Anyway all I
get is a blank window, and no update. I've removed update
manager from the top panel and when I reboot it re-installs
itself the same as before. Any suggestions?

b.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:53 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 17/06/11 10:42, Bill wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I had to shutdown my laptop before update manager had finished
> completing it's latest updates. Now it hangs when restarting,
> one part probably thinks it's in the process of doing something,
> and another part is waiting for it to complete. Anyway all I
> get is a blank window, and no update. I've removed update
> manager from the top panel and when I reboot it re-installs
> itself the same as before. Any suggestions?
>
> b.

No worries, unlikely anything broken

Boot into recovery mode. At the prompt type your root password and hit
Enter (gently).
make sure you have space on / (or /var if it's separate)
# df -h

#apt-get -d update

if no errors then:-
# apt-get upgrade
then for kde:-
# /etc/init.d/kdm start;exit

or for gnome
# /etc/init.d/gdm start;exit

for other desktop substitute your window manager for kdm or gdm or:-
# shutdown -r now

if errors then:-
# apt-get -s upgrade > stuff_to_post_to_list

Cheers

--
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it
comes out.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:16 AM
Bill

On Fri, 2011-17-06 at 17:53 +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> No worries, unlikely anything broken
>
> Boot into recovery mode. At the prompt type your root password and hit
> Enter (gently).
> make sure you have space on / (or /var if it's separate)
> # df -h
>
> #apt-get -d update
>
> if no errors then:-
> # apt-get upgrade