Old 06-16-2011, 02:41 PM
"Bonno Bloksma"

Default location dhcpd.conf

Hi,

I have just upgraded my first Lenny system to Squeeze and noted that maybe
the location of my dhcpd.conf file has been changed once more.
Is that right?

In Etch it was in /etc/dhcp/ then in Lenny it was in /etc/dhcp3/ and now it
seems to be once more in /etc/dhcp/ if I read the
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/i386/isc-dhcp-server/filelist page
correctly.

Are there any more surprises like that and how do I find them after a
version upgrade?
Am I supposed to read every package page to find differences like this? It
is not even mentioned at the page I reference above, I just noted that I had
two dhcpd.conf files and that the date on the conf files was different from
what I expected en then went looking for more information.

Bonno

Old 06-16-2011, 03:23 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 16:41:07 +0200, Bonno Bloksma wrote:

> I have just upgraded my first Lenny system to Squeeze and noted that
> maybe the location of my dhcpd.conf file has been changed once more. Is
> that right?

I'd say yes.

> In Etch it was in /etc/dhcp/ then in Lenny it was in /etc/dhcp3/ and now
> it seems to be once more in /etc/dhcp/ if I read the
> http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/i386/isc-dhcp-server/filelist page
> correctly.
>
> Are there any more surprises like that and how do I find them after a
> version upgrade?

Most of the surprises (at least the bigger ones) can be discovered by
reading the Release Notes:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/index.en.html

> Am I supposed to read every package page to find differences like this?
> It is not even mentioned at the page I reference above, I just noted
> that I had two dhcpd.conf files and that the date on the conf files was
> different from what I expected en then went looking for more
> information.

The rest of the surprises could be found in their corresponding doc
packages and/or list of changes file.

IIRC, there was a transition from "dhcp3-client" (package available for
lenny) to "isc-dhcp-client" (in squeeze) so the mess could had been
generated because of that.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-16-2011, 07:17 PM
"Bonno Bloksma"

Hi,

>> I have just upgraded my first Lenny system to Squeeze and noted that
>> maybe the location of my dhcpd.conf file has been changed once more. Is
>> that right?

> I'd say yes.

>> In Etch it was in /etc/dhcp/ then in Lenny it was in /etc/dhcp3/ and now
>> it seems to be once more in /etc/dhcp/ if I read the
>> http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/i386/isc-dhcp-server/filelist page
>> correctly.
>>
>> Are there any more surprises like that and how do I find them after a
>> version upgrade?

> Most of the surprises (at least the bigger ones) can be discovered by
> reading the Release Notes:
>
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/index.en.html

I have read those at least three times from chapter 1 to 7 while making my own notes about what was really important for me. Just checked again, nothing about the dhcp server changes.

>> Am I supposed to read every package page to find differences like this?
>> It is not even mentioned at the page I reference above, I just noted
>> that I had two dhcpd.conf files and that the date on the conf files was
>> different from what I expected en then went looking for more
>> information.

> The rest of the surprises could be found in their corresponding doc
> packages and/or list of changes file.

There is indeed a change log for each package, but I cannot find that kind of information. I can see a change log for the isc-dhcp-server but the only thing in there about dhcpd.conf is something from 2006.

> IIRC, there was a transition from "dhcp3-client" (package available for
> lenny) to "isc-dhcp-client" (in squeeze) so the mess could had been
> generated because of that.

Maybe someone can update the change log for the dhcp system to reflect the change in config file location. Fortunately I do not to much different packages on our systems so there are not too many packages to check.

Bonno

Old 06-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 21:17:07 +0200, Bonno Bloksma wrote:

>>> Are there any more surprises like that and how do I find them after a
>>> version upgrade?
>
>> Most of the surprises (at least the bigger ones) can be discovered by
>> reading the Release Notes:
>>
>> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/index.en.html
>
> I have read those at least three times from chapter 1 to 7 while making
> my own notes about what was really important for me. Just checked again,
> nothing about the dhcp server changes.

Sure not!

Release Notes document the most important changes, those that can render
your computer unusable and I'm afraid the config file for DHCP server
daemon does not fall into that category :-)

>>> Am I supposed to read every package page to find differences like
>>> this? It is not even mentioned at the page I reference above, I just
>>> noted that I had two dhcpd.conf files and that the date on the conf
>>> files was different from what I expected en then went looking for more
>>> information.
>
>> The rest of the surprises could be found in their corresponding doc
>> packages and/or list of changes file.
>
> There is indeed a change log for each package, but I cannot find that
> kind of information. I can see a change log for the isc-dhcp-server but
> the only thing in there about dhcpd.conf is something from 2006.

And there are also some nice docs for each package and README files ;-)

>> IIRC, there was a transition from "dhcp3-client" (package available for
>> lenny) to "isc-dhcp-client" (in squeeze) so the mess could had been
>> generated because of that.
>
> Maybe someone can update the change log for the dhcp system to reflect
> the change in config file location. Fortunately I do not to much
> different packages on our systems so there are not too many packages to
> check.

The changelog reflects the changes done in a package while in this case
there two packages providing the same service, so deciding what to keep
and what to install is up to the user/admin.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Camaleón

Old 06-17-2011, 02:05 PM
"Bonno Bloksma"

Hi,

[.....]

> And there are also some nice docs for each package and README files ;-)

Which I would read if I were unfamiliar with the software. Which I'm not. ;-)

>>> IIRC, there was a transition from "dhcp3-client" (package available for
>>> lenny) to "isc-dhcp-client" (in squeeze) so the mess could had been
>>> generated because of that.
>>
>> Maybe someone can update the change log for the dhcp system to reflect
>> the change in config file location. Fortunately I do not run too much
>> different packages on our systems so there are not too many packages to
>> check.

> The changelog reflects the changes done in a package while in this case
> there two packages providing the same service, so deciding what to keep
> and what to install is up to the user/admin.

Normaly I would agree but in this case the upgrade changed dhcp3-server into isc-dhcp-server for me. So I would have liked to read somewhere logical that the config file location had been changed.
Oh well, if that's all I'm going to run into then upgrading the next bunch of servers should be a piece of cake. ;-)

Bonno Bloksma

Old 06-17-2011, 02:05 PM
"Bonno Bloksma"

Hi,

[.....]

Old 06-17-2011, 02:44 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 16:05:24 +0200, Bonno Bloksma wrote:

>> And there are also some nice docs for each package and README files ;-)
>
> Which I would read if I were unfamiliar with the software. Which I'm
> not. ;-)

I did, and that's why I can now tell you what was the source of all this
mess :-P

I was also in the need of installing a dhcp client package -the client
part in my case- and fell into this.

>> The changelog reflects the changes done in a package while in this case
>> there two packages providing the same service, so deciding what to keep
>> and what to install is up to the user/admin.
>
> Normaly I would agree but in this case the upgrade changed dhcp3-server
> into isc-dhcp-server for me.

The upgrade did the right thing, I guess. The new package is the isc-*
one.

> So I would have liked to read somewhere logical that the config file
> location had been changed. Oh well, if that's all I'm going to run into
> then upgrading the next bunch of servers should be a piece of cake. ;-)

Well, the fact is that I only had to dig a bit because the package itself
was self-explaining (this comes from "dhcp3-server" package description
in squeeze):

***
ISC DHCP server (transitional package)

(...)

This is a dummy package to aid in transitioning from the v3 DHCP packages
to the new-style DHCP packages.

This dummy package may be safely removed after upgrading to squeeze
***

:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-20-2011, 08:01 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Vi, 17 iun 11, 16:05:24, Bonno Bloksma wrote:

> Normaly I would agree but in this case the upgrade changed
> dhcp3-server into isc-dhcp-server for me. So I would have liked to
> read somewhere logical that the config file location had been changed.
> Oh well, if that's all I'm going to run into then upgrading the next
> bunch of servers should be a piece of cake. ;-)

If you feel strong enough about this to come up with a patch for the
Release Notes it might even be included

Regards,
Andrei