Old 06-16-2011, 02:06 PM
lee

Default searching through open-/libreoffice documents

Hi,

when I have a collection of documents created with
openoffice/libreoffice writer and want to search through them for
strings contained in the text, how do I do that? Is there some
equivalent for grep that works on such files?

Old 06-16-2011, 02:37 PM
Juan Sierra Pons

Hi

Google is your friend :P

http://forums.opensuse.org/archives/sf-archives/archives-programming-scripting/337622-using-grep-openoffice-files.html

"
The openoffice file (something.odt) is a zip file with a collection of
files that make up the document inside. One of these files is a .XML
file called contents.xml that contains the actual text of your
document.
"

You can create un script to unzip the file and then "grep" the xml content

Best regards

Juan
--
Mi nueva dirección es: - My new email address is: - Mon nouveau email est:
juan@elsotanillo.net

Old 06-16-2011, 02:45 PM
Juan Sierra Pons

or you can use zgrep

zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression

Best regards

Old 06-16-2011, 02:47 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 16:06:27 +0200, lee wrote:

> when I have a collection of documents created with
> openoffice/libreoffice writer and want to search through them for
> strings contained in the text, how do I do that? Is there some
> equivalent for grep that works on such files?

Google also finds some premade scripts from the competition :-)

Search multiple .odt files

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-18-2011, 08:21 PM
Wayne Topa

On 06/16/2011 10:06 AM, lee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when I have a collection of documents created with
> openoffice/libreoffice writer and want to search through them for
> strings contained in the text, how do I do that? Is there some
> equivalent for grep that works on such files?

I use the recoll package for searching for terms of all kinds of
files Including OpenOffice/libreoffice files.

HTH
Wayne