Old 02-16-2008, 02:46 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

Default How to unmute the sound?

Hey Michael, I'm not qualified to help solve this problem and can only
help you ask the right questions (which is why I didn't respond to
your response to my questions...).

here's a link of interest:

there is some interesting discussion of potential problems that might
steer you in the right direction.

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 08:00:48PM -0500, Michael Yang wrote:
> Here is the error message when I open the audio file:
>
> [AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: confmisc.c:768parse_card) cannot find card '0'
> [AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: conf.c:3510_snd_config_evaluate) function
> snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such device

these (and subsequent errors) say that the hardware has not been
detected properly.

> I have tried uninstall alsa driver and re-compile and reinstalled it for
> several times, the problem still exists.

stop installing non-debian stuff or you'll likely not get
help. Totally remove all the non-debian stuff. reinstall the kernel
and see what happens.

BTW, what kernel are you running?

what alsa pakages are installed?

dpkg -l *alsa*

Finally, you claim that it suddenly stopped working for no
reason. Well, there must be some reason. Did you upgrade anything?
Install or remove any packages?

I'll leave the stuff below for reference.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:44 PM
Richard Lyons

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 08:56:01AM +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:

> Am 2008-02-13 10:05:43, schrieb Michael Yang:
> > Yes. I tried to recompile because of missing sound suddenly for unknown
> > reason.
> >
> > When I was recompiling the alsa-driver, it told me that the sound is unmated
> > by default. After finished installing the driver again (without checking if
> > sound is muted or unmated), when using "alsactl store", it returns that "no
> > sound card found". But the sound card is indeed there by "lspci".
> >
> > In alsamixer, there's no "MM" for each volume bars. I have tried to ajust
> > and switch mute mode, it works pretty well. But no sound output. I don't
> > know why!
>
> I have an nNidia Sound in a Laptop (Acer Aspire 7720) and have exactly
> the same problem with the exception, that I have ONLY a "Master" and
> "Balance" and not more. The Maser is unmuted but no sound, while "cdcd"
> is playing fine the CD inserted...

FWIW, I have the same problem on an Acer Aspire 1640Z. Onboard sound
card is in my case listed as
Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition
Audio Controller (rev 04)
but the rest seems identical. It plays normally with 'doze, so not a
hardware issue.

Someone on debian-laptop suggested getting a usb soundcard and
sidestepping the problem (blacklisting the normal soundcard modules).
Seems an untidy solution, but may be the only one...

--
richard

Old 02-17-2008, 05:06 AM
Kushal Kumaran

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 23:44:36 +0100
Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 08:56:01AM +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
>
> > Am 2008-02-13 10:05:43, schrieb Michael Yang:
> > > Yes. I tried to recompile because of missing sound suddenly for
> > > unknown reason.
> > >
> > > When I was recompiling the alsa-driver, it told me that the sound
> > > is unmated by default. After finished installing the driver again
> > > (without checking if sound is muted or unmated), when using
> > > "alsactl store", it returns that "no sound card found". But the
> > > sound card is indeed there by "lspci".
> > >
> > > In alsamixer, there's no "MM" for each volume bars. I have tried
> > > to ajust and switch mute mode, it works pretty well. But no sound
> > > output. I don't know why!
> >
> > I have an nNidia Sound in a Laptop (Acer Aspire 7720) and have
> > exactly the same problem with the exception, that I have ONLY a
> > "Master" and "Balance" and not more. The Maser is unmuted but no
> > sound, while "cdcd" is playing fine the CD inserted...
>
> FWIW, I have the same problem on an Acer Aspire 1640Z. Onboard sound
> card is in my case listed as
> Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High
> Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
> but the rest seems identical. It plays normally with 'doze, so not a
> hardware issue.
>
> Someone on debian-laptop suggested getting a usb soundcard and
> sidestepping the problem (blacklisting the normal soundcard modules).
> Seems an untidy solution, but may be the only one...

Do you get sound output if you plug in speakers or headphones into the
headphone jack? I had a problem with my Dell Vostro 1400, where the
laptop's internal speakers didn't output sound, but the headphone jack
worked fine. Supplying the model=5stack option to the snd-hda-intel
module fixed the problem for me. There could be something similar for
your particular model...

--
Kushal

Old 02-17-2008, 08:49 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 11:44:36PM +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:

> FWIW, I have the same problem on an Acer Aspire 1640Z. Onboard sound
> card is in my case listed as
> Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition
> Audio Controller (rev 04)
> but the rest seems identical. It plays normally with 'doze, so not a
> hardware issue.

I don't have the same card, but I have to *mute* the "Headphone Jack
Sense" in order to get sound.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 02-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Richard Lyons

On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 11:49:37AM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 11:44:36PM +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
>
> > FWIW, I have the same problem on an Acer Aspire 1640Z. Onboard sound
> > card is in my case listed as
> > Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition
> > Audio Controller (rev 04)
> > but the rest seems identical. It plays normally with 'doze, so not a
> > hardware issue.
>
> I don't have the same card, but I have to *mute* the "Headphone Jack
> Sense" in order to get sound.

I don't see any "Headphone Jack·Sense" anywhere in alsamixer. I have
heard of this issue before, but this set of modules doesn't seem to
give that option. The modules I have loded are:

snd_hda_intel 17140 5
snd_hda_codec 126496 1 snd_hda_intel
snd_pcm_oss 35968 0
snd_mixer_oss 15872 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 74532 4 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer 20836 2 snd_pcm
snd 48100 14
snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_ oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore 9216 1 snd
snd_page_alloc 9512 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

--
richard

Old 02-17-2008, 10:39 AM
Richard Lyons

> Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:
>

> > FWIW, I have the same problem on an Acer Aspire 1640Z. Onboard sound
> > card is in my case listed as
> > Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High
> > Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
> > but the rest seems identical. It plays normally with 'doze, so not a
> > hardware issue.
> >
> > Someone on debian-laptop suggested getting a usb soundcard and
> > sidestepping the problem (blacklisting the normal soundcard modules).
> > Seems an untidy solution, but may be the only one...
> >

> Do you get sound output if you plug in speakers or headphones into the
> headphone jack? I had a problem with my Dell Vostro 1400, where the
> laptop's internal speakers didn't output sound, but the headphone jack
> worked fine. Supplying the model=5stack option to the snd-hda-intel
> module fixed the problem for me. There could be something similar for
> your particular model...

I have just tried with the speakers from my mp3 player. Nothing :-(

How do you supply options to modules? I could try it anyway.

--
richard

Old 02-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Kushal Kumaran

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 12:39:12 +0100
Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:

> > Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:
> >

> > > FWIW, I have the same problem on an Acer Aspire 1640Z. Onboard
> > > sound card is in my case listed as
> > > Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High
> > > Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
> > > but the rest seems identical. It plays normally with 'doze, so
> > > not a hardware issue.
> > >
> > > Someone on debian-laptop suggested getting a usb soundcard and
> > > sidestepping the problem (blacklisting the normal soundcard
> > > modules). Seems an untidy solution, but may be the only one...
> > >

> > Do you get sound output if you plug in speakers or headphones into
> > the headphone jack? I had a problem with my Dell Vostro 1400,
> > where the laptop's internal speakers didn't output sound, but the
> > headphone jack worked fine. Supplying the model=5stack option to
> > the snd-hda-intel module fixed the problem for me. There could be
> > something similar for your particular model...
>
> I have just tried with the speakers from my mp3 player. Nothing :-(
>
> How do you supply options to modules? I could try it anyway.

You add them to your modprobe command line, like so:
modprobe snd-hda-intel model=5stack

There is a list of supported models in
Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt in the linux source
distribution. I found an online copy at
http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt

If you can get it working with one of these options, you can set up the
defaults options in one of the files in /etc/modprobe.d/ (alsa-base, I
think, but I'm not sure).

HTH

--
Kushal

Old 02-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Richard Lyons

On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 06:11:52PM +0530, Kushal Kumaran wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 12:39:12 +0100
> Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:
[...]
> > How do you supply options to modules? I could try it anyway.
> >

> You add them to your modprobe command line, like so:
> modprobe snd-hda-intel model=5stack
>
> There is a list of supported models in
> Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt in the linux source
> distribution. I found an online copy at
> http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt

Ok. My model number is not listed, but the only likely ones listed are
model=acer and model=acer-laptop. I assume I need to restart alsa after
each experimental modprobe. Or do I have to remove the existing module
first, or what?

> If you can get it working with one of these options, you can set up
> the defaults options in one of the files in /etc/modprobe.d/
> (alsa-base, I think, but I'm not sure).

Looks as though alsa-base expects an environment variable $CMDLINE_OPTS
to be set first. I wonder how to get that to happen...

--
richard

Old 02-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Kushal Kumaran

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 16:25:50 +0100
Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 06:11:52PM +0530, Kushal Kumaran wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 12:39:12 +0100
> > Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > > How do you supply options to modules? I could try it anyway.
> > >

> > You add them to your modprobe command line, like so:
> > modprobe snd-hda-intel model=5stack
> >
> > There is a list of supported models in
> > Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt in the linux source
> > distribution. I found an online copy at
> > http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt
>
> Ok. My model number is not listed, but the only likely ones listed
> are model=acer and model=acer-laptop. I assume I need to restart
> alsa after each experimental modprobe. Or do I have to remove the
> existing module first, or what?

You'll have to remove the module first, using modprobe -r. Then reload
the module with modprobe snd-hda-intel model=<your choice of model>

> > If you can get it working with one of these options, you can set up
> > the defaults options in one of the files in /etc/modprobe.d/
> > (alsa-base, I think, but I'm not sure).
>
> Looks as though alsa-base expects an environment variable
> $CMDLINE_OPTS to be set first. I wonder how to get that to happen...

See the manpage of modprobe.conf for what that variable does. You
don't have to worry about it when adding your entry into alsa-base.

--
Kushal

Old 02-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Richard Lyons

On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 04:25:50PM +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 06:11:52PM +0530, Kushal Kumaran wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 12:39:12 +0100
> > Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > > How do you supply options to modules? I could try it anyway.
> > >

> > You add them to your modprobe command line, like so:
> > modprobe snd-hda-intel model=5stack
> >
> > There is a list of supported models in
> > Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt in the linux source
> > distribution. I found an online copy at
> > http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt
>
> Ok. My model number is not listed, but the only likely ones listed are
> model=acer and model=acer-laptop. I assume I need to restart alsa after
> each experimental modprobe. Or do I have to remove the existing module
> first, or what?

Answering myself: What I've tried is 'modprobe -r snd-hda-intel' followed
by 'modprobe snd-hda-intel model=acer'. And the same for the other one,
(which is acer-aspire not acer-laptop BTW). In each case unmuted
'Front' and put volumes up etc in alsamixer. But Amarok plays cds as
silently as ever, with or without the headphones. So that doesn't solve
it.

--
richard