-   -   kttsd / jovie /speech-dispatcher : Tect to speech does not work (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/540199-kttsd-jovie-speech-dispatcher-tect-speech-does-not-work.html)

"Hans-J. Ullrich" 06-15-2011 05:56 PM

kttsd / jovie /speech-dispatcher : Tect to speech does not work

Hi all,

since kttsd (jovie) changed to speech-dispatcher I never got text-to-speech
working, except by using espeak. But I want to use either festival or (first
choice for me) mbrola. Older versions of kttsd (until version 4.3.4 without
speech-dispatcher) worked perfectly.

Short stuff: I get the following message in kttsmgr.

---
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did
not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply
timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
---

I suppose, d-bus is broken, maybe caused by some access rights? Are there any
packages known, whcih might interfere d-bus? I heard of dbus-qt3.

I do not know, how to handle this problem, as I do not know, where to start.
So some basic steps will be usefull, to get closer to the problem, but I am
not experienced with dbus at all. Fesival and espeak in the commandline are
working well. Speech-dispatcher and all necessary packages are installed.

Got the same problem on different hardware. What am I doing wrong? Does it work
at all? I googled, but all I found were solutions for older kttsd and kttsmgr
without speech-dipatcher. Documentation is also for the older kttsmgr and
kttsd!

So any help will be welcome.

Best regards

Hans