FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-15-2011, 02:55 PM
David Baron
 
Default WARNING: Stay off Sid /lib upgrades!

After being assured by a maintainer that the problems in upgrading were fixed in -7, I upgraded, without a hitch ... except now everything segfaults, even after reboot. I had also upgraded x-windows stuff dependent on that which made things even worse.




Actually, the reboot proceeds perfectly. Only when I log on and have a shell (i.e. bash, sh) does everything crash out. So the bug might be there and not in the libc6-7!




Anyway, a long haul to get a working system again. After copying /lib stuff from the live-cd so I had a shell, I downgraded to testing, libc6-4 and more than enough of the x stuff. Finally got back in and KDE was a mess.




To reinstall that, I needed to "upgrade" all the now-broken packages. This time, I was smarter. I copied the working /lib, upgraded, segfaulted, went into the live CD, copied the working /lib back and rebooted and reinstalled a bunch of kde and plasma-desktop stuff (apt thought it was up-to-date haha). Voile.




Since this is now a mixed-up system (until Sid's maintainers get stuff together, completely, responsibly (posting defective /lib upgrades is inexcusable because of the mess made for us Debian Sid users!), there may still be problems, i.e. another package or two to downgrade.




Problem 1: Trying a normal synaptic upgrade of some programs, I got errors that UTF8 could not be converted to latin1... and it aborted. Apt-get does work (in a non-X terminal) because I did that with the KDE stuff. So what package needs be up/down-graded to fix the character conversions?




Hint: reportbug-ng yields messages like:

QIconvCodec::convertFromUnicode: using Latin-1 for conversion, iconv failed for BOM: Bad file descriptor

QIconvCodec::convertFromUnicode: using Latin-1 for conversion, iconv_open failed

QIconvCodec::convertToUnicode: using Latin-1 for conversion, iconv_open failed
 
Old 06-15-2011, 03:59 PM
Wayne Topa
 
Default WARNING: Stay off Sid /lib upgrades!

On 06/15/2011 10:55 AM, David Baron wrote:

After being assured by a maintainer that the problems in upgrading were fixed
in -7, I upgraded, without a hitch ... except now everything segfaults, even
after reboot. I had also upgraded x-windows stuff dependent on that which made
things even worse.

Actually, the reboot proceeds perfectly. Only when I log on and have a shell
(i.e. bash, sh) does everything crash out. So the bug might be there and not
in the libc6-7!

Anyway, a long haul to get a working system again. After copying /lib stuff
from the live-cd so I had a shell, I downgraded to testing, libc6-4 and more
than enough of the x stuff. Finally got back in and KDE was a mess.

To reinstall that, I needed to "upgrade" all the now-broken packages. This
time, I was smarter. I copied the working /lib, upgraded, segfaulted, went
into the live CD, copied the working /lib back and rebooted and reinstalled a
bunch of kde and plasma-desktop stuff (apt thought it was up-to-date haha).
Voile.

Since this is now a mixed-up system (until Sid's maintainers get stuff
together, completely, responsibly (posting defective /lib upgrades is
inexcusable because of the mess made for us Debian Sid users!), there may
still be problems, i.e. another package or two to downgrade.

Problem 1: Trying a normal synaptic upgrade of some programs, I got errors
that UTF8 could not be converted to latin1... and it aborted. Apt-get does
work (in a non-X terminal) because I did that with the KDE stuff. So what
package needs be up/down-graded to fix the character conversions?

Hint: reportbug-ng yields messages like:
QIconvCodec::convertFromUnicode: using Latin-1 for conversion, iconv failed
for BOM: Bad file descriptor
QIconvCodec::convertFromUnicode: using Latin-1 for conversion, iconv_open
failed
QIconvCodec::convertToUnicode: using Latin-1 for conversion, iconv_open failed



Strange that I am not seeing the same problems as you are but have some
of my own. I think that most my problems are udevd related:


1. k3b can't find the cd/dvd device
2. the usblp module can't find the printer
3. root login on ttys0 logs in then jumps to another tty and login
there then jumps to yet another tty and only stops jumping when a

user logs in.

That was from the 2011-06-11 upgrade

But hey we are running unstable so this is to be expected. Don't sweat
te small stuff. It will be fixed within days so run wheezy for a while.


Sent from my wheezy partition.

WT


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4DF8D6E9.4000300@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DF8D6E9.4000300@gmail.com
 
Old 06-15-2011, 06:17 PM
Heddle Weaver
 
Default WARNING: Stay off Sid /lib upgrades!

On 16 June 2011 01:59, Wayne Topa <linuxtwo@gmail.com> wrote:

On 06/15/2011 10:55 AM, David Baron wrote:


After being assured by a maintainer that the problems in upgrading were fixed

in -7, I upgraded, without a hitch ... except now everything segfaults, even

after reboot. I had also upgraded x-windows stuff dependent on that which made

things even worse.



Actually, the reboot proceeds perfectly. Only when I log on and have a shell

(i.e. bash, sh) does everything crash out. So the bug might be there and not

in the libc6-7!

<snip>





Strange that I am not seeing the same problems as you are but have some of my own. Â*I think that most my problems are udevd related:



1. k3b can't find the cd/dvd device

2. the usblp module can't find the printer

3. root login on ttys0 logs in then jumps to another tty and login there then jumps to yet another tty and only stops jumping when a

user logs in.



That was from the 2011-06-11 upgrade



But hey we are running unstable so this is to be expected. Â*Don't sweat te small stuff. Â*It will be fixed within days so run wheezy for a while.

That's right!
Unstable is never advertised as 'production ready' and these things are to be expected.

I'm in the same boat, with freezes predominantly with KDE apps, but not completely restricted to that. The freeze seems to clear itself after about a minute.
It'll right itself after an upgrade in a couple of days.

Regards,

Weaver.--

Religion is regarded by the common people as true,
by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.

— Lucius Annæus Seneca.

Terrorism, the new religion.
 
Old 06-20-2011, 07:38 AM
Andrei POPESCU
 
Default WARNING: Stay off Sid /lib upgrades!

On Mi, 15 iun 11, 17:55:56, David Baron wrote:

[snip sid problems]

I don't have these issues and I think messing with packages under the
package managers control just asks for trouble. Did you consider
re-installing?

Regards,
Andrei
--
Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/d-community-offtopic
 
Old 06-20-2011, 07:57 AM
Sven Joachim
 
Default WARNING: Stay off Sid /lib upgrades!

On 2011-06-20 09:38 +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Mi, 15 iun 11, 17:55:56, David Baron wrote:
>
> [snip sid problems]
>
> I don't have these issues and I think messing with packages under the
> package managers control just asks for trouble. Did you consider
> re-installing?

David's misadventures are tracked in http://bugs.debian.org/630608.
Nobody else seems to be able to reproduce the problem.

Sven


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 87d3i92awi.fsf@turtle.gmx.de">http://lists.debian.org/87d3i92awi.fsf@turtle.gmx.de
 
Old 06-20-2011, 09:43 AM
Heddle Weaver
 
Default WARNING: Stay off Sid /lib upgrades!

On 20 June 2011 17:57, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:

On 2011-06-20 09:38 +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:



> On Mi, 15 iun 11, 17:55:56, David Baron wrote:

>

> [snip sid problems]

>

> I don't have these issues and I think messing with packages under the

> package managers control just asks for trouble. Did you consider

> re-installing?



David's misadventures are tracked in http://bugs.debian.org/630608.

Nobody else seems to be able to reproduce the problem.

I had an issue tonight when upgrading.
Libre office didn't upgrade, it seemed to uninstall and I found it again in 'uninstalled packages'. Reinstalled it and I'm back in action.

I'm studying and submitting work done in Libre Office that is supposed to be done in Word and none of them seem to be able to spot the difference.
If I'm late a day or two in submitting they don't seem to mind.

SID doesn't seem to be any different to what it is normally.
Freezing for a minute or two, but that's just part of it.
Regards,

Weaver.
--

Religion is regarded by the common people as true,
by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.

— Lucius Annæus Seneca.

Terrorism, the new religion.
 
Old 06-20-2011, 10:56 PM
Brad Alexander
 
Default WARNING: Stay off Sid /lib upgrades!

Something I have taken to doing lately is to, at least on occasion, use the aptitude TUI. Once you get your head around the interface and its use, it is a very powerful way to upgrade your system, including very fine-grained control of the cleaning up the cruft on your system.


--b

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 5:43 AM, Heddle Weaver <weaver2world@gmail.com> wrote:



On 20 June 2011 17:57, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:


On 2011-06-20 09:38 +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:



> On Mi, 15 iun 11, 17:55:56, David Baron wrote:

>

> [snip sid problems]

>

> I don't have these issues and I think messing with packages under the

> package managers control just asks for trouble. Did you consider

> re-installing?



David's misadventures are tracked in http://bugs.debian.org/630608.

Nobody else seems to be able to reproduce the problem.

I had an issue tonight when upgrading.
Libre office didn't upgrade, it seemed to uninstall and I found it again in 'uninstalled packages'. Reinstalled it and I'm back in action.


I'm studying and submitting work done in Libre Office that is supposed to be done in Word and none of them seem to be able to spot the difference.
If I'm late a day or two in submitting they don't seem to mind.


SID doesn't seem to be any different to what it is normally.
Freezing for a minute or two, but that's just part of it.
Regards,

Weaver.

--

Religion is regarded by the common people as true,
by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.

— Lucius Annæus Seneca.

Terrorism, the new religion.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:12 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org