FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-15-2011, 11:38 AM
AG
 
Default Cannot connect to localhost:631

On Wheezy, I have lost the capability of connecting to the CUPS server
via the web-page using localhost:631. The error message is "cannot
connect: connection to the server refused".


I have double-checked /etc/hosts and that seems fine, checking the Net
for help throws up suggestions on changing a setting in cupsd.conf but
the only cupsd.conf file I can find on my system is a binary file in
/var/sbin. I also tried system-config-printer but that didn't help.


I have restarted the CUPS server and can print okay ... just cannot
connect to the server.


Anything else that I can try?

Cheers

AG


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4DF899CE.7000303@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DF899CE.7000303@gmail.com
 
Old 06-15-2011, 12:03 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Cannot connect to localhost:631

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 12:38:54 +0100, AG wrote:

> On Wheezy, I have lost the capability of connecting to the CUPS server
> via the web-page using localhost:631. The error message is "cannot
> connect: connection to the server refused".

(...)

"http://127.0.0.1:631" neither works?

Check if the port is listening:

netstat -ant | grep 631

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.06.15.12.03.38@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.06.15.12.03.38@gmail.com
 
Old 06-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Juan Sierra Pons
 
Default Cannot connect to localhost:631

Hi

Is cups daemon running?
What's on cups logs?

Best regards

--
Mi nueva dirección es: - My new email address is: - Mon nouveau email est:
juan@elsotanillo.net
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Usuario Linux Registrado: #257202
http://www.elsotanillo.net
----------------------------------------------------------------------------


2011/6/15 AG <computing.account@googlemail.com>:
> On Wheezy, I have lost the capability of connecting to the CUPS server via
> the web-page using localhost:631. *The error message is "cannot connect:
> connection to the server refused".
>
> I have double-checked /etc/hosts and that seems fine, checking the Net for
> help throws up suggestions on changing a setting in cupsd.conf but the only
> cupsd.conf file I can find on my system is a binary file in /var/sbin. *I
> also tried system-config-printer but that didn't help.
>
> I have restarted the CUPS server and can print okay ... just cannot connect
> to the server.
>
> Anything else that I can try?
>
> Cheers
>
> AG
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org with a subject
> of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4DF899CE.7000303@gmail.com
>
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTinQ9JiMFip+q34v9uVEBEiUfp+t_w@mail.gmail.com ">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTinQ9JiMFip+q34v9uVEBEiUfp+t_w@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 06-15-2011, 12:56 PM
Brian
 
Default Cannot connect to localhost:631

On Wed 15 Jun 2011 at 12:38:54 +0100, AG wrote:

> I have restarted the CUPS server and can print okay ... just cannot
> connect to the server.

CUPS needs a cupsd.conf to run. The file is installed when CUPS is
installed (it is not a binary file). I cannot see how you can get the
server restarted. /var/sbin does not exist on this system.

desktop:/home/brian# mv /etc/cups/cupsd.conf /etc/cups/cupsd.conf-orig
desktop:/home/brian#

desktop:/home/brian# /etc/init.d/cups restart
Restarting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd
Message from syslogd@desktop at Jun 15 13:55:33 ...
cupsd: Unable to read configuration file '/etc/cups/cupsd.conf' -
exiting!
cupsd: Child exited with status 1!
failed!


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110615125639.GL19572@desktop">http://lists.debian.org/20110615125639.GL19572@desktop
 
Old 06-15-2011, 01:35 PM
Wayne Topa
 
Default Cannot connect to localhost:631

On 06/15/2011 07:38 AM, AG wrote:

On Wheezy, I have lost the capability of connecting to the CUPS server
via the web-page using localhost:631. The error message is "cannot
connect: connection to the server refused".

I have double-checked /etc/hosts and that seems fine, checking the Net
for help throws up suggestions on changing a setting in cupsd.conf but
the only cupsd.conf file I can find on my system is a binary file in
/var/sbin. I also tried system-config-printer but that didn't help.

I have restarted the CUPS server and can print okay ... just cannot
connect to the server.

Anything else that I can try?


Is localhost allowed in /etc/hosys.allow?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4DF8B50E.6070202@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DF8B50E.6070202@gmail.com
 
Old 06-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Juan Sierra Pons
 
Default Cannot connect to localhost:631

Are you having problems with others ports/services?

What "nmap localhost" says?

Best Regards



--
Mi nueva dirección es: - My new email address is: - Mon nouveau email est:
juan@elsotanillo.net
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Usuario Linux Registrado: #257202
http://www.elsotanillo.net
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

2011/6/15 Wayne Topa <linuxtwo@gmail.com>:
> On 06/15/2011 07:38 AM, AG wrote:
>>
>> On Wheezy, I have lost the capability of connecting to the CUPS server
>> via the web-page using localhost:631. The error message is "cannot
>> connect: connection to the server refused".
>>
>> I have double-checked /etc/hosts and that seems fine, checking the Net
>> for help throws up suggestions on changing a setting in cupsd.conf but
>> the only cupsd.conf file I can find on my system is a binary file in
>> /var/sbin. I also tried system-config-printer but that didn't help.
>>
>> I have restarted the CUPS server and can print okay ... just cannot
>> connect to the server.
>>
>> Anything else that I can try?
>
> Is localhost allowed in /etc/hosys.allow?
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org with a subject
> of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4DF8B50E.6070202@gmail.com
>
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTi=WgNuBJHG5NrA-kHTYa09djZrSfA@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTi=WgNuBJHG5NrA-kHTYa09djZrSfA@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 06-15-2011, 03:43 PM
Wayne Topa
 
Default Cannot connect to localhost:631

On 06/15/2011 09:35 AM, Wayne Topa wrote:

On 06/15/2011 07:38 AM, AG wrote:

On Wheezy, I have lost the capability of connecting to the CUPS server
via the web-page using localhost:631. The error message is "cannot
connect: connection to the server refused".

I have double-checked /etc/hosts and that seems fine, checking the Net
for help throws up suggestions on changing a setting in cupsd.conf but
the only cupsd.conf file I can find on my system is a binary file in
/var/sbin. I also tried system-config-printer but that didn't help.

I have restarted the CUPS server and can print okay ... just cannot
connect to the server.

Anything else that I can try?


Is localhost allowed in /etc/hosys.allow?

^hosts.allow

Have to learn to proof read. :-(




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4DF8D321.80206@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DF8D321.80206@gmail.com
 
Old 06-16-2011, 01:23 PM
AG
 
Default Cannot connect to localhost:631

On 15/06/11 14:35, Wayne Topa wrote:

On 06/15/2011 07:38 AM, AG wrote:

On Wheezy, I have lost the capability of connecting to the CUPS server
via the web-page using localhost:631. The error message is "cannot
connect: connection to the server refused".

I have double-checked /etc/hosts and that seems fine, checking the Net
for help throws up suggestions on changing a setting in cupsd.conf but
the only cupsd.conf file I can find on my system is a binary file in
/var/sbin. I also tried system-config-printer but that didn't help.

I have restarted the CUPS server and can print okay ... just cannot
connect to the server.

Anything else that I can try?


Is localhost allowed in /etc/hosys.allow?



Wayne

/etc/hosts.allow is empty

AG


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4DFA03DC.5050004@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DFA03DC.5050004@gmail.com
 
Old 06-16-2011, 01:25 PM
AG
 
Default Cannot connect to localhost:631

On 15/06/11 13:03, Camaleón wrote:

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 12:38:54 +0100, AG wrote:


On Wheezy, I have lost the capability of connecting to the CUPS server
via the web-page using localhost:631. The error message is "cannot
connect: connection to the server refused".

(...)

"http://127.0.0.1:631" neither works?

Check if the port is listening:

netstat -ant | grep 631

Greetings,


Hi

No feedback from the command line. How do I open the port and how would
I secure it? Does it make any difference this being a USB printer?


Cheers

AG


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4DFA042D.5060400@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DFA042D.5060400@gmail.com
 
Old 06-16-2011, 01:26 PM
AG
 
Default Cannot connect to localhost:631

On 15/06/11 13:56, Brian wrote:

On Wed 15 Jun 2011 at 12:38:54 +0100, AG wrote:


I have restarted the CUPS server and can print okay ... just cannot
connect to the server.

CUPS needs a cupsd.conf to run. The file is installed when CUPS is
installed (it is not a binary file). I cannot see how you can get the
server restarted. /var/sbin does not exist on this system.

desktop:/home/brian# mv /etc/cups/cupsd.conf /etc/cups/cupsd.conf-orig
desktop:/home/brian#

desktop:/home/brian# /etc/init.d/cups restart
Restarting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd
Message from syslogd@desktop at Jun 15 13:55:33 ...
cupsd: Unable to read configuration file '/etc/cups/cupsd.conf' -
exiting!
cupsd: Child exited with status 1!
failed!



Brian

My bad. Forget that stanza about /var/sbin . I have located it in
/etc/cups/cups.conf and elsewhere. Not sure what I was going on about


AG


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4DFA0474.2070907@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DFA0474.2070907@gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:18 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org