Old 06-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Noah Duffy

Default Updating Packages in Debian Squeeze from Backports/Testing

I've been running Debian Squeeze for a little while now. I was using
Ubuntu before, so I'm really used to being able to keep certain
software up-to-date using their PPA system. I'm loving Debian (even
though I've had to make a few tweaks for it to work with my new
system), but there are a few packages I wish were newer. Banshee is
one of them. There have been a load of changes since the 1.6.1
version that is in Squeeze. I can compile the new version myself, but
have been unable to get webkit support enabled when compiling, so it
is nicer to use a build from the repositories.

I've done plenty of reading on how to enable the backports and also
install software from testing/unstable. However, I wanted to get the
opinion of others before I change my system for good!

Is it recommended to install packages from testing? I know this often
also updates dependencies that other software may use causing the
system to potentially not be as secure or stable. Should I just wait
for newer versions to maybe hit the backports repository? Or should I
just take the longer route and compile newer versions myself (which
sometimes doesn't always work well)?

Also, if I do add the testing repositories and setup apt pinning
and/or priority, what happens in another year or so when I try to
upgrade my system to the next stable release? is everything going to
work because of the pinning and priority I originally setup?

I'm sorry for so many question in one mailing! And I hope I'm not
rambling too much! My ultimate goal is to run Debian Stable but have
a few packages and maybe the kernel (many bug fixes for my system are
in the newer kernels) from backports/testing.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,
Noah Duffy

Old 06-14-2011, 04:35 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 10:37:28 -0500, Noah Duffy wrote:

(...)

> Is it recommended to install packages from testing? I know this often
> also updates dependencies that other software may use causing the system
> to potentially not be as secure or stable.

I'd say that would depend on the package you want to upgrade.

Look, Banshee for squeeze depends on libc6 >= 2.7 but in wheezy needs >=
2.13. Will you update your libc6? I, for sure, wouldn't :-)

> Should I just wait for newer versions to maybe hit the backports
> repository?

Backports are the safest route but not all the packages fall in there :-(

> Or should I just take the longer route and compile newer versions
> myself (which sometimes doesn't always work well)?

That can be a very hard task, but again, it will depend on the package
itself. Small packages with no hard dependencies are easier to upgrade
that others. And I'm afraid Banshee is one of the "biggers".

> Also, if I do add the testing repositories and setup apt pinning and/or
> priority, what happens in another year or so when I try to upgrade my
> system to the next stable release? is everything going to work because
> of the pinning and priority I originally setup?

(...)

You will have to carefully watch that package and manually apply the
required changes (keep, update, delete...) dependending on your specific
needs and problems the installer can have when dealing with it.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Jimmy Wu

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 00:35, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 10:37:28 -0500, Noah Duffy wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>> Is it recommended to install packages from testing? Â*I know this often
>> also updates dependencies that other software may use causing the system
>> to potentially not be as secure or stable.
>
> I'd say that would depend on the package you want to upgrade.
>
> Look, Banshee for squeeze depends on libc6 >= 2.7 but in wheezy needs >=
> 2.13. Will you update your libc6? I, for sure, wouldn't :-)

An alternative is to add a deb-src line for wheezy or sid, whichever
you want, to sources.list and attempt a "simple sid backport" with
apt-get source -b. This will download the updated source and compile
it on your system, using the libc6 you currently have unless it
build-depends on a new libc6. Of course make sure you have
build-essentials and the like installed. There's also a simple
backporting tutorial on the debian user forums here:

Old 06-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Noah Duffy

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 11:40 AM, Jimmy Wu <jimmywu013@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 00:35, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 10:37:28 -0500, Noah Duffy wrote:
>>
>> (...)
>>
>>> Is it recommended to install packages from testing? *I know this often
>>> also updates dependencies that other software may use causing the system
>>> to potentially not be as secure or stable.
>>
>> I'd say that would depend on the package you want to upgrade.
>>
>> Look, Banshee for squeeze depends on libc6 >= 2.7 but in wheezy needs >=
>> 2.13. Will you update your libc6? I, for sure, wouldn't :-)
>
> An alternative is to add a deb-src line for wheezy or sid, whichever
> you want, to sources.list and attempt a "simple sid backport" with
> apt-get source -b. *This will download the updated source and compile
> it on your system, using the libc6 you currently have unless it
> build-depends on a new libc6. *Of course make sure you have
> build-essentials and the like installed. *There's also a simple
> backporting tutorial on the debian user forums here:
> http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=38976

I read the guide you posted, and it seems simple enough. I understand
it as this:

Let's say I want to "backport" Banshee from Wheezy because it's
version 2.0.1, I could add the source repository for wheezy to my
sources, and build that package following the instructions that way.

The only thing I didn't quite understand was changing the version
number to version~bpo50+1. They say this makes the version number
less than the one you're building. I don't understand how it makes it
less, but either way, I'm assuming this is done for the exact reason I
mentioned originally. If I installed a newer package and then
upgraded to the next stable release, it's package will trump mine?

Thank you guys for sharing your knowledge and having patience when it
comes to folks like me.

P.S. Forgot to hit reply to all the first time... Silly Gmail.

Thanks,
Noah Duffy

Old 06-14-2011, 07:17 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2011-06-14 21:01 +0200, Noah Duffy wrote:

> I read the guide you posted, and it seems simple enough. I understand
> it as this:
>
> Let's say I want to "backport" Banshee from Wheezy because it's
> version 2.0.1, I could add the source repository for wheezy to my
> sources, and build that package following the instructions that way.

Good luck, you might need it. Banshee seems to be a rather complex
package.

> The only thing I didn't quite understand was changing the version
> number to version~bpo50+1.

Actually, for squeeze packports you should use version~bpo60+1, since
this is a backport for Debian 6.0, not for 5.0.

> They say this makes the version number
> less than the one you're building. I don't understand how it makes it
> less, but either way, I'm assuming this is done for the exact reason I
> mentioned originally.

The tilde (~) is treated specially by dpkg when comparing versions, it
sorts before the empty string.

> If I installed a newer package and then
> upgraded to the next stable release, it's package will trump mine?

Exactly, and this is usually what you want.

Sven

Old 06-14-2011, 07:35 PM
Noah Duffy

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2011-06-14 21:01 +0200, Noah Duffy wrote:
>

>> I read the guide you posted, and it seems simple enough. *I understand
>> it as this:
>>
>> Let's say I want to "backport" Banshee from Wheezy because it's
>> version 2.0.1, I could add the source repository for wheezy to my
>> sources, and build that package following the instructions that way.
>
> Good luck, you might need it. *Banshee seems to be a rather complex
> package.
>
>> The only thing I didn't quite understand was changing the version
>> number to version~bpo50+1.
>
> Actually, for squeeze packports you should use version~bpo60+1, since
> this is a backport for Debian 6.0, not for 5.0.
>
>> They say this makes the version number
>> less than the one you're building. *I don't understand how it makes it
>> less, but either way, I'm assuming this is done for the exact reason I
>> mentioned originally.
>
> The tilde (~) is treated specially by dpkg when comparing versions, it
> sorts before the empty string.
>
>> If I installed a newer package and then
>> upgraded to the next stable release, it's package will trump mine?
>
> Exactly, and this is usually what you want.
>
> Sven

Okay, I think I have a pretty solid understanding now! I'll take a
stab at all of this a little later. Hopefully I won't run into any
problems.

Thanks,
Noah Duffy

Old 06-14-2011, 07:35 PM
Noah Duffy

Old 06-14-2011, 08:42 PM
Perry Thompson

On 06/14/2011 11:37 AM, Noah Duffy wrote:
> I've been running Debian Squeeze for a little while now. I was using
> Ubuntu before, so I'm really used to being able to keep certain
> software up-to-date using their PPA system. I'm loving Debian (even
> though I've had to make a few tweaks for it to work with my new
> system), but there are a few packages I wish were newer. Banshee is
> one of them. There have been a load of changes since the 1.6.1
> version that is in Squeeze. I can compile the new version myself, but
> have been unable to get webkit support enabled when compiling, so it
> is nicer to use a build from the repositories.
>
> I've done plenty of reading on how to enable the backports and also
> install software from testing/unstable. However, I wanted to get the
> opinion of others before I change my system for good!
>
> Is it recommended to install packages from testing? I know this often
> also updates dependencies that other software may use causing the
> system to potentially not be as secure or stable. Should I just wait
> for newer versions to maybe hit the backports repository? Or should I
> just take the longer route and compile newer versions myself (which
> sometimes doesn't always work well)?
>
> Also, if I do add the testing repositories and setup apt pinning
> and/or priority, what happens in another year or so when I try to
> upgrade my system to the next stable release? is everything going to
> work because of the pinning and priority I originally setup?
>
> I'm sorry for so many question in one mailing! And I hope I'm not
> rambling too much! My ultimate goal is to run Debian Stable but have
> a few packages and maybe the kernel (many bug fixes for my system are
> in the newer kernels) from backports/testing.
>
> Let me know what you think!
>
> Thanks,
> Noah Duffy

If it is really important to you to have more up-to-date packages, you
could upgrade to Debian Testing. It depends on what you're using the
computer for really.