Old 06-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Aniruddha

Default Desktop performance problem

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Juan Sierra Pons <juan@elsotanillo.net> wrote:
> Hi
>
> This can be an I/O and/or CPU problem
> As a workaround you can use:
> - ionice - get/set program io scheduling class and priority *for I/O problem
> - nice - run a program with modified scheduling priority for CPU problem
>
> To adjust scheduling priority of the offending process.

Thanks for help! When I monitor with htop there are no processes above
5% during unpacking/copying. I have fairly fast hardware ( Intel Core
i7-2600, 8 GB DDR3, samsung 7200 rpm), which shouldn't be the problem
especially since the same hardware works fine in Funtoo. I suspect
that the problem is that Debian (kernel) configuration is optimized
for servers not desktop. I'm interested to learn which (kernel)
options need to be changed in order to increase performance in Debian.
I have no interesting messages in the logs, is there additional
information I can provide?

Old 06-14-2011, 03:00 PM
"Glen Batchelor"

Which kernel are you using? 'uname -r'
Which desktop system are you using?

GlenB

Old 06-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Juan Sierra Pons

Hi,

Are you using Nepomuk, beagled or another similar daemon? those
"guys" can affect your system desktop performance.
As GlenB says kernel and desktop version are a very useful information too

Best Regards

Juan
--
Mi nueva dirección es: - My new email address is: - Mon nouveau email est:
juan@elsotanillo.net

Old 06-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Juan Sierra Pons

Old 06-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 15:53 +0200, Aniruddha wrote:
> I've noticed that my Debian testing desktop slows downs significantly
> when copying (and unpacking) large files. Sound stutters and iceweasel
> (and other programs) freeze regularly. This makes working on my
> desktop impossible when copying or unpacking large files, This
> happened on all my Debian desktops, on different hardware and on
> stable, testing and sid. I have also Funtoo installed, Funtoo remains
> responsive during the same operations. Therefor I suspect it must be
> an configuration problem.
>
> Is there an (kernel)option that need to be changed to increase
> performance? Thus far I have tried changing Preemption Model and Timer
> frequency without noticeable results. Thanks in advance!

Does top show something unusual?

I can confirm similar, not as extreme as it seems to be for you, with
Ubuntu Maverick, Debian stable and testing. For Ubuntu Maverick it might
be even more evil as for you. There something uses 90% CPU, can't
remember the name and won't reboot and there's a zombie for every GNOME
session.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Old 06-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 17:36 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 15:53 +0200, Aniruddha wrote:
> > I've noticed that my Debian testing desktop slows downs significantly
> > when copying (and unpacking) large files. Sound stutters and iceweasel
> > (and other programs) freeze regularly. This makes working on my
> > desktop impossible when copying or unpacking large files, This
> > happened on all my Debian desktops, on different hardware and on
> > stable, testing and sid. I have also Funtoo installed, Funtoo remains
> > responsive during the same operations. Therefor I suspect it must be
> > an configuration problem.
> >
> > Is there an (kernel)option that need to be changed to increase
> > performance? Thus far I have tried changing Preemption Model and Timer
> > frequency without noticeable results. Thanks in advance!
>

> Does top show something unusual?
>
> I can confirm similar, not as extreme as it seems to be for you, with
> Ubuntu Maverick, Debian stable and testing. For Ubuntu Maverick it might
^^^^^^^^
should be Natty

Old 06-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Old 06-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 15:53:44 +0200, Aniruddha wrote:

> I've noticed that my Debian testing desktop slows downs significantly
> when copying (and unpacking) large files.

(...)

What tool are you using for copying and unpacking? Command line, GUI
browser (nautilus, dolphin), Midnight Commander...? Different tools can
make a difference here.

And what kind of copy (internal hard disk copy, disk to disk, disk to
network share...) and what kind of unpacking?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-14-2011, 03:40 PM