Old 06-14-2011, 01:54 PM
"Md. Rafiqur Rahman"

Default How can I install mozilla firefox opn Debian6 Squeeze

Dear all,

I'm very much new on Linux specially on Debian Linux. I
know that icewaesel build upon firefox but i don't like it to use. I
want to use mozilla firefox on debian6 Squeeze. Do you know how to
install it. I've allready download mozilla firefox and untar it. there
is a script firefox on the directory. By double clicking firefox run
from my home directory. But not installed. can you help me, please?
--
Thanks & Regards,

Md. Rafiqur Rahman

Assistant Librarian

East West University,
43
Mohakhali C/A
Dhaka - 1212
Bangladesh

Mobile: +880-1912-571724

Old 06-14-2011, 02:02 PM
Jimmy Wu

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 21:54, Md. Rafiqur Rahman <rafiqur83@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm very much new on Linux specially on Debian Linux. I know that icewaesel
> build upon firefox but i don't like it to use. I want to use mozilla firefox
> on debian6 Squeeze. Do you know how to install it. I've allready download
> mozilla firefox and untar it. there is a script firefox on the directory. By
> double clicking firefox run from my home directory. But not installed. can
> you help me, please?

Have you tried the pre-compiled packages from http://mozilla.debian.net/
If you really need the latest upstream look around inside your tarball
for a README or INSTALL file for instructions.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:02 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 19:54:39 +0600, Md. Rafiqur Rahman wrote:

> I'm very much new on Linux specially on Debian Linux. I know that
> icewaesel build upon firefox but i don't like it to use. I want to use
> mozilla firefox on debian6 Squeeze.

For any specific reason? :-?

> Do you know how to install it. I've
> allready download mozilla firefox and untar it. there is a script
> firefox on the directory. By double clicking firefox run from my home
> directory. But not installed. can you help me, please?

There is no need to install Firefox, just uncompress the tar.bz2 at your
desired location and run. Additional instructions can be found here:

Installing Firefox on Linux
https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Installing%20Firefox%20on%20Linux

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Lisi

On Tuesday 14 June 2011 14:54:39 Md. Rafiqur Rahman wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm very much new on Linux specially on Debian Linux. I know that icewaesel
> build upon firefox but i don't like it to use. I want to use mozilla
> firefox on debian6 Squeeze. Do you know how to install it. I've allready
> download mozilla firefox and untar it. there is a script firefox on the
> directory. By double clicking firefox run from my home directory. But not
> installed. can you help me, please?

It runs, but it is not installed?? Could you explain what you mean by this.
What does it not do that you would wish it to do? I would have thought that
if it runs, you have what you wanted??

Lisi

Old 06-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 16:07:08 +0100, Lisi wrote:

> On Tuesday 14 June 2011 14:54:39 Md. Rafiqur Rahman wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I'm very much new on Linux specially on Debian Linux. I know that
>> icewaesel build upon firefox but i don't like it to use. I want to use
>> mozilla firefox on debian6 Squeeze. Do you know how to install it. I've
>> allready download mozilla firefox and untar it. there is a script
>> firefox on the directory. By double clicking firefox run from my home
>> directory. But not installed. can you help me, please?
>
> It runs, but it is not installed?? Could you explain what you mean by
> this. What does it not do that you would wish it to do? I would have
> thought that if it runs, you have what you wanted??

I guess he mean that there is no routine to run the installer (e.g., "sh
my_install.sh") which is indeed not a very common practice (usually
packages are installed somehow, by means of a package manager, by running
an installer or by compiling it).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Jimmy Wu

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 23:07, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 June 2011 14:54:39 Md. Rafiqur Rahman wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I'm very much new on Linux specially on Debian Linux. I know that icewaesel
>> build upon firefox but i don't like it to use. I want to use mozilla
>> firefox on debian6 Squeeze. Do you know how to install it. I've allready
>> download mozilla firefox and untar it. there is a script firefox on the
>> directory. By double clicking firefox run from my home directory. But not
>> installed. can you help me, please?
>
> It runs, but it is not installed?? *Could you explain what you mean by this.
> What does it not do that you would wish it to do? *I would have thought that
> if it runs, you have what you wanted??

If it's a binary tarball, which it sounds like it is, then the process
of untarring it is enough to install it to the home directory.

For installing system-wide I'd probably prefer a package, e.g. from
mozilla.debian.net.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:25 PM
Camaleón

El 2011-06-14 a las 20:23 +0600, Md. Rafiqur Rahman escribió:

(resending to the list)

> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 8:02 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > There is no need to install Firefox, just uncompress the tar.bz2 at your
> > desired location and run. Additional instructions can be found here:
> >
> > Installing Firefox on Linux
> > https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Installing%20Firefox%20on%20Linux

> Yeas, I have already go through this link. but not get ride off. It says
> usr/binbash/firefox missing something like that

Can you copy/paste the exact error you are getting?

> http://<br /> > https://support.mozi...x%20on%20Linux

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-14-2011, 03:25 PM
Camaleón

Old 06-14-2011, 03:39 PM
Lisi

Putting back on list so that others can help! (And converting to bottom
posting):

On Tuesday 14 June 2011 16:17:52 Md. Rafiqur Rahman wrote:
> It just run from my home directory but not installed. That means If I save
> a an html file from browser and open it again it shows the address like
> C://..............etc. same when I double click on the firefox script file
> it shows the address home..........and there is no icon on the program
> list. Actually it can be installed from the terminal. I've already try that
> method but it shows /etc/bin/bash/firefox missing like this type of error.
>
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 9:07 PM, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 14 June 2011 14:54:39 Md. Rafiqur Rahman wrote:
> > > Dear all,
> > >
> > > I'm very much new on Linux specially on Debian Linux. I know that
> >
> > icewaesel
> >
> > > build upon firefox but i don't like it to use. I want to use mozilla
> > > firefox on debian6 Squeeze. Do you know how to install it. I've
> > > allready download mozilla firefox and untar it. there is a script
> > > firefox on the directory. By double clicking firefox run from my home
> > > directory. But not installed. can you help me, please?
> >
> > It runs, but it is not installed?? Could you explain what you mean by
> > this.
> > What does it not do that you would wish it to do? I would have thought
> > that
> > if it runs, you have what you wanted??

> It just run from my home directory but not installed. That means If I save
> a an html file from browser and open it again it shows the address like
> C://..............etc. same when I double click on the firefox script file
> it shows the address home..........and there is no icon on the program
> list. Actually it can be installed from the terminal. I've already try that
> method but it shows /etc/bin/bash/firefox missing like this type of error.

If I open a saved HTML file with Iceweasel (which is basically Firefox with
the branding removed) I get:
file:///home/lisi/Personal/orders/<notification>.html

So I still do not understand your problem. Are you complaining that you have
not got an icon in the menu? That is easily remediable, if you just tell us
what DE you are using.

I'm afraid that I can't understand what you are saying is missing, and I can't
understand what it would do (other than have an icon in the menu) differently
if it were "installed".

What do you get if you run:

$which firefox

?? Could you copy and paste the result.