Old 06-14-2011, 01:53 PM
Aniruddha

Default Desktop performance problem

I've noticed that my Debian testing desktop slows downs significantly
when copying (and unpacking) large files. Sound stutters and iceweasel
(and other programs) freeze regularly. This makes working on my
desktop impossible when copying or unpacking large files, This
happened on all my Debian desktops, on different hardware and on
stable, testing and sid. I have also Funtoo installed, Funtoo remains
responsive during the same operations. Therefor I suspect it must be
an configuration problem.

Is there an (kernel)option that need to be changed to increase
performance? Thus far I have tried changing Preemption Model and Timer
frequency without noticeable results. Thanks in advance!

Old 06-14-2011, 02:24 PM
Juan Sierra Pons

Hi

This can be an I/O and/or CPU problem
As a workaround you can use:
- ionice - get/set program io scheduling class and priority for I/O problem
- nice - run a program with modified scheduling priority for CPU problem

To adjust scheduling priority of the offending process.

Good luck in you quest

Best regards

P.S: Provide more information (logs, dmesg, hdparm test, etc) to help
us to help you

Juan
--
Mi nueva dirección es: - My new email address is: - Mon nouveau email est:
juan@elsotanillo.net