Old 06-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Leonardo

Default pure-ftpd replies "421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection"

Dear all,

I've installed pure-ftpd on a Debian 5.0.7 box using the standard config.
When I try to connect from another machine on the same subnet, or even
from the localhost, I get the message:

Connected to 10.1.2.3.
[...and then, a few seconds later,]
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

There is no firewall blocking connections. Any hint?
Thanks a lot in advance,

L.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Mirco Piccin

Hi

> I've installed pure-ftpd on a Debian 5.0.7 box using the standard config.
> When I try to connect from another machine on the same subnet, or even
> from the localhost, I get the message:

> Connected to 10.1.2.3.
> [...and then, a few seconds later,]
> 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

did you check the bind configuration ()?

Regards

Old 06-14-2011, 02:52 PM
Leonardo

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Leonardo
<leonardodiserpierodavinci@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I've installed pure-ftpd on a Debian 5.0.7 box using the standard config.
> When I try to connect from another machine on the same subnet, or even
> from the localhost, I get the message:
>
> Connected to 10.1.2.3.
> [...and then, a few seconds later,]
> 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

Just to confirm, I've sniffed the network and there is indeed a FIN
packet sent from 10.1.2.3 to the connecting machine.
Probably the config of pure-ftpd is wrong?

L.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 16:52:45 +0200, Leonardo wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Leonardo
> <leonardodiserpierodavinci@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I've installed pure-ftpd on a Debian 5.0.7 box using the standard
>> config. When I try to connect from another machine on the same subnet,
>> or even from the localhost, I get the message:
>>
>> Connected to 10.1.2.3.
>> [...and then, a few seconds later,]
>> 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
>

> Just to confirm, I've sniffed the network and there is indeed a FIN
> packet sent from 10.1.2.3 to the connecting machine. Probably the config
> of pure-ftpd is wrong?

I dunno how "pure-ftpd" works but as it says "connected" and then closes
the connection, could that be an authentication issue? Does ftp log say
something?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Leonardo

> did you check the bind configuration ()?
>
> Regards

I haven't BIND installed on my system -- I need no DNS server on it.

L.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Mirco Piccin

Leonardo,

>> did you check the bind configuration ()?

> I haven't BIND installed on my system -- I need no DNS server on it.

i'm talking about pure-ftpd bind configuration :-)

In conf file (maybe /etc/pure-ftpd.conf) there must be a "bind" directive.

Or something similar in the init script options (-S or --bind <ip address,port>)

Anyway, give a look also at: