Old 06-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Morning Star

Default My screen suddenly got froze

Hi guys,I have a problem about my cpu. After 15 minutes or more using debian squeeze in KDE display manager, my screen suddenly got froze. I can't move my mouse's cursor and can't type anything on my keyboard. caps lock and num lock lamp wasn't responding. I had to reset my PC, then selecting the same OS to boot, and then I happened again after that. It happened like this: BOOT --> X-SESSION --> FREEZE --> RESET --> REBOOT --> X-SESSION --> FREEZE --> .........
Here are my�specifications:OS : Debian Squeezemy kernel :�2.6.32-5-686my VGA card :�GeForce 6600 LEmy video driver : NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module �195.36.31
My�Xorg.0.log :�http://pastebin.com/Xr5kV4Rf
My Xorg.0.log.old :�http://pastebin.com/UctMDRv5

It frequently happens after i installed my video driver using NVIDIA kernel module�195.36.31. When I used nouveau driver, same thing happened again. Is that a OS problem or hardware problem? I'm sick about this endless freeze. Please help me.

Thanks in advance,
Marco

Old 06-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Camalen

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 08:46:27 -0400, Morning Star wrote:

> I have a problem about my cpu. After 15 minutes or more using debian
> squeeze in KDE display manager, my screen suddenly got froze. I can't
> move my mouse's cursor and can't type anything on my keyboard. caps lock
> and num lock lamp wasn't responding. I had to reset my PC, then
> selecting the same OS to boot, and then I happened again after that. It
> happened like this: BOOT --> X-SESSION --> FREEZE --> RESET --> REBOOT
> --> X-SESSION --> FREEZE --> .........

(...)

When the computer freezes, try to access via ssh and see if it responds.

If you can login from ssh, the problem may reside in X server that locks
your system while if you can neither login, the problem could be in the
kernel that hard or soft locks (oops).

Is there something of interest in the system logs?

(...)

> It frequently happens after i installed my video driver using NVIDIA
> kernel module 195.36.31. When I used nouveau driver, same thing happened
> again.

You mean the same happens with either driver (open and closed)? That's
weird, it can be also a hardware problem :-?

> Is that a OS problem or hardware problem? I'm sick about this
> endless freeze. Please help me.

Just in case, try by disabling any 3D desktops effects (if any) and you
may also test with another DE, different than KDE.

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 06-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Jude DaShiell

Turn the screen saver off and that should clear this problem. On Tue, 14

Old 06-15-2011, 09:14 AM
AG

[...]

Can you please clarify for me: this happens *after* you have already
logged into your KDM and are using the machine, or *before* - i.e.
preventing you from logging on in the first place. If the latter, then
please see my posts from earlier this week. If the former, then I think
the suggestions already made are more likely to be helpful.

Cheers

AG

Archive: 4DF877F3.8020500@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DF877F3.8020500@gmail.com

Old 06-24-2011, 03:18 AM
Morning Star

HI*Camalen,
I've bought a cheap graphic card (ATI Radeon 9250 SE) and it fixed everything. The old graphic card (GeForce 6600LE) already broken I think. I don't have any problem with my display again. I figured it out a week ago. I'm sorry I was late to *tell you. I have a question: Is there a way for kernel *be able to tell user about hardware failure like this? I don't see any error message in /var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog in time between the freeze and reboot again. It just said like this, " System is restarting", or "System is shutting down". It didn't say anything about freeze state messages.*

Greetings,
Marco **
On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Camalen <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 08:46:27 -0400, Morning Star wrote:

> I have a problem about my cpu. After 15 minutes or more using debian

> squeeze in KDE display manager, my screen suddenly got froze. I can't

> move my mouse's cursor and can't type anything on my keyboard. caps lock

> and num lock lamp wasn't responding. I had to reset my PC, then

> selecting the same OS to boot, and then I happened again after that. It

> happened like this: BOOT --> X-SESSION --> FREEZE --> RESET --> REBOOT

> --> X-SESSION --> FREEZE --> .........

(...)

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.06.14.13.18.39@gmail.com

Old 06-24-2011, 03:20 AM
Morning Star

Hi*Jude DaShiell,That's not the problem, but thanks.*
Greetings,
Marco

Old 06-24-2011, 03:21 AM
Morning Star

Hi AG,It happened after I login to KDE session. I've figured it out, my card is broken. Thanks for your reply.
Greetings,
Marco

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4DF877F3.8020500@gmail.com

Old 06-24-2011, 01:15 PM
Camalen

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 23:18:32 -0400, Morning Star wrote:

> I've bought a cheap graphic card (ATI Radeon 9250 SE) and it fixed
> everything. The old graphic card (GeForce 6600LE) already broken I
> think. I don't have any problem with my display again. I figured it out
> a week ago. I'm sorry I was late to tell you.

Don't worry, glad you finally got it solved :-)

> I have a question: Is there a way for kernel be able to tell user
> about hardware failure like this? I don't see any error message in /var
>/log/messages or /var/log/syslog in time between the freeze and reboot
> again. It just said like this, " System is restarting", or "System is
> shutting down". It didn't say anything about freeze state messages.

Sadly, these kind of errors (hardware malfunction) are very difficult to
debug... most of the time there is no trace nor logs the user can review
(in Windows you can get a BSOD and also freezes when such problem arises).

To be sure there is a problem with the VGA card you may want to plug it
into another computer and see how it goes. If system also freezes or you
get an unexpected behaviour, then just say "bye!" to the card and give it
a good retirement :-)

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 06-24-2011, 05:30 PM
Morning Star

Thanks�Camale�

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 6:15 AM, Camale�span dir="ltr"><noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 23:18:32 -0400, Morning Star wrote:

> I've bought a cheap graphic card (ATI Radeon 9250 SE) and it fixed

> everything. The old graphic card (GeForce 6600LE) already broken I

> think. I don't have any problem with my display again. I figured it out

> a week ago. I'm sorry I was late to �tell you.

Don't worry, glad you finally got it solved :-)

> I have a question: Is there a way for kernel �be able to tell user

> about hardware failure like this? I don't see any error message in /var

>/log/messages or /var/log/syslog in time between the freeze and reboot

> again. It just said like this, " System is restarting", or "System is

> shutting down". It didn't say anything about freeze state messages.

Sadly, these kind of errors (hardware malfunction) are very difficult to

debug... most of the time there is no trace nor logs the user can review

(in Windows you can get a BSOD and also freezes when such problem arises).

To be sure there is a problem with the VGA card you may want to plug it

into another computer and see how it goes. If system also freezes or you

get an unexpected behaviour, then just say "bye!" to the card and give it

a good retirement :-)

Greetings,

--

Camale�r>