Old 06-13-2011, 03:34 PM
vr

Default Looking for newbie friendly Howto Debian 6 + spamassassin 3.3.1

As the subject says. Findings in Google are dated, talk about creating
lots of the config manually and seem wrong based on what I'm seeing on a
new installed system.

Archive: dce30c2850b534a993d3db429f6765b7@prod.iotk.net">ht tp://lists.debian.org/dce30c2850b534a993d3db429f6765b7@prod.iotk.net

Old 06-13-2011, 03:50 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 11:34:14 -0400, vr wrote:

> As the subject says. Findings in Google are dated, talk about creating
> lots of the config manually and seem wrong based on what I'm seeing on
> a new installed system.

SpamAssassin configuration varies a lot depending on the partner
application in will run with (meaning the smtp server, antimalware and
any kind of proxy in between, like Amavisd-new).

In addition to this, you also need to deploy a strategy for SA, that is,
will it be run as a system-wide catch-up spam filter or based on a per-
site/per-user basis?

With these premises defined, you're ready to find your "newbie friendly
howto" :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-13-2011, 04:10 PM
vr

SpamAssassin configuration varies a lot depending on the partner
application in will run with (meaning the smtp server, antimalware
and

any kind of proxy in between, like Amavisd-new).

In addition to this, you also need to deploy a strategy for SA, that
is,
will it be run as a system-wide catch-up spam filter or based on a
per-

site/per-user basis?

I have Postfix on a machine that acts as a gateway and am thinking to
add Spamassassin to identify spam globally. I say "thinking" because
I'm not 100% sure I can add just SA? Lots of articles talk about amavis
but I'm not sure why that layer seems required. I don't plan to add
other features at this point.

Archive: d4769653c9aa696888b537eb53af886a@prod.iotk.net">ht tp://lists.debian.org/d4769653c9aa696888b537eb53af886a@prod.iotk.net

Old 06-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 12:10:57 -0400, vr wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 15:50:08 +0000 (UTC), Camaleón wrote:
>>
>> SpamAssassin configuration varies a lot depending on the partner
>> application in will run with (meaning the smtp server, antimalware and
>> any kind of proxy in between, like Amavisd-new).
>>
>> In addition to this, you also need to deploy a strategy for SA, that
>> is,
>> will it be run as a system-wide catch-up spam filter or based on a per-
>> site/per-user basis?
>>

> I have Postfix on a machine that acts as a gateway and am thinking to
> add Spamassassin to identify spam globally. I say "thinking" because
> I'm not 100% sure I can add just SA? Lots of articles talk about amavis
> but I'm not sure why that layer seems required. I don't plan to add
> other features at this point.

For simple setups, you can avoid amavisd-new and use instead spamd, but
the latter has its drawbacks.

Amavisd-new is used as the "glue" when you run postfix+SA (or any other
anti-spam service)+clamAV (or any other antivirus service). For something
a bit more serious I would recommend running amavisd-new -it allows to
escalate to a more complex layout very easily- but you can also run spamd
+clamav plugin (and so no amavisd-new).

Anyway, I have both setups on production system (one running amavisd-new
and other with spamd), and they're both very easy to configure.

Whatever you decide, I would start from here:

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/IntegratedInMta

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-13-2011, 07:59 PM
vr

Amavisd-new is used as the "glue" when you run postfix+SA (or any
other
anti-spam service)+clamAV (or any other antivirus service). For
something
a bit more serious I would recommend running amavisd-new -it allows
escalate to a more complex layout very easily- but you can also run
spamd

+clamav plugin (and so no amavisd-new).

Anyway, I have both setups on production system (one running
amavisd-new

and other with spamd), and they're both very easy to configure.

Whatever you decide, I would start from here:

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/IntegratedInMta

OK, I went ahead and installed amavisd-new and netstat shows listeners
even though I haven't changed anything yet.

# netstat -ntap
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address
State PID/Program name
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:25 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN 6244/master
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:10024 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN 6123/amavisd (maste
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:10025 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN 5467/perl

This doc says master.cf needs edits...

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/IntegratedInPostfixWithAmavis

Copy and pasted the edits to the bottom of master.cf and restarted
Postfix but it returns:

127.0.0.1 port 10025: Address already in use (so I removed them)

So... I'm not asking to troubleshoot amavisd-new, postfix or
spamassassin... but I am still looking for current documentation for
Debian 6 + Spamassassin and now Amavisd-new so I can try them out on a
Squeeze system.

Archive: 94be0f1bf1cebdae1fd8919dfede28c1@prod.iotk.net">ht tp://lists.debian.org/94be0f1bf1cebdae1fd8919dfede28c1@prod.iotk.net

Old 06-13-2011, 08:08 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 15:59:17 -0400, vr wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 16:29:25 +0000 (UTC), Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> Whatever you decide, I would start from here:
>>
>> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/IntegratedInMta
>
> OK, I went ahead and installed amavisd-new and netstat shows listeners
> even though I haven't changed anything yet.

(...)

> So... I'm not asking to troubleshoot amavisd-new, postfix or
> spamassassin... but I am still looking for current documentation for
> Debian 6 + Spamassassin and now Amavisd-new so I can try them out on a
> Squeeze system.

Good. Now you can follow with this:

/usr/share/doc/amavisd-new/README.postfix.html

;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Andreas Weber

On 2011-06-13 18:29, Camaleón wrote:
> For simple setups, you can avoid amavisd-new and use instead spamd, but
> the latter has its drawbacks.

Use spampd which should do exactly what you want.

HTH, ändu

Old 06-13-2011, 08:20 PM
vr

/usr/share/doc/amavisd-new/README.postfix.html

Had found that and been reading.
Looks to be similar saying master.cf changes need to be done even
though services are already on those ports.

Archive: 948a5196d583515f3a574c036b27f1f9@prod.iotk.net">ht tp://lists.debian.org/948a5196d583515f3a574c036b27f1f9@prod.iotk.net

Old 06-13-2011, 09:34 PM
vr