Old 06-13-2011, 02:28 AM
Davide Baldini

Default news/mail client and the text borders

What software do you use for mail/news?
I see all your messages are proudly well formatted and perfectly fit in
pages of 80 columns, while I have to push return each line. If i forget,
lines gets splitted in my window but then when i send it out i

see the big mistake...

is there any margins setting? I use icedove (thunderbird 3.0.11)

Archive: it3sk2$atl$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/it3sk2$atl$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 06-13-2011, 03:05 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2011-06-13 at 04:28 +0200, Davide Baldini wrote:
> What software do you use for mail/news?
> I see all your messages are proudly well formatted and perfectly fit in
> pages of 80 columns, while I have to push return each line. If i forget,
> lines gets splitted in my window but then when i send it out i
> see the big mistake...
>
> is there any margins setting? I use icedove (thunderbird 3.0.11)

You mean 72 characters/line? This doesn't work all the time, when
replying or coping something it can happen that I get never ending
lines. Usually people wish to get an auto-break after character 72.

I'm using Evolution, but to be honest, Mozillas are better Mailers, but
no native Linux mailers, anyway, also those mailers know the never
ending line issue.

I used several mailers, an eccentric extreme might be Wanderlust for
Emacs, for this mailer there never is a line issue, but well, I'm sure
you won't use Wanderlust.

Btw. take a look at the emails headers by viewing the source, usually
there is an entry for the mailer.

I suspect you get something similar to this

dummytextdummytextdumm
ytext
dummytextdummytextdumm
ytext

Right?

Perhaps you need to edit the preferences from 80 to 72 characters.

Hth,

Ralf

Old 06-13-2011, 03:34 AM
Ron Johnson

I see all your messages are proudly well formatted and perfectly fit in
pages of 80 columns, while I have to push return each line. If i forget,
lines gets splitted in my window but then when i send it out i
see the big mistake...

There is no mistake. That's how it's supposed to work. Just type and
let it wrap at 72 columns.

If you still have questions, take a window print of what you think is a
mistake and throw it up on some website for us to see.

is there any margins setting? I use icedove (thunderbird 3.0.11)

I've been using ID/Tbird since at lease 2.0.

corrupt."

Archive: 4DF58536.40305@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DF58536.40305@cox.net

Old 06-13-2011, 04:21 AM
Davide Baldini

This doesn't seem to be such a common/requested feature though nearly
everyone uses it in newsgroups.

On 06/13/11 05:05, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> I suspect you get something similar to this
>
> dummytextdummytextdumm ytext dummytextdummytextdumm ytext
>
> Right?

exactly

> Perhaps you need to edit the preferences from 80 to 72 characters.

Wish there was such an interface.... Anyway, I got it to auto fold at 72
regardless of window size, by this rare precious guide
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Fixed_width_messages
of which i copied here the main part to ease eventual researches and
reduce risk of server lost.

--
Set fixed-width plain text on thunderbird and derived:

On the page Advanced – General, press the Config Editor... button. Set
the Filter to: flowed Set the following preference to the opposite of
its default (for example, by double-clicking it), so that the setting is:

mailnews.send_plaintext_flowed user set boolean false

Optionally set the other preference to the opposite of its default (for
example, by double-clicking it). If you do this, then messages that
other people send to you also appear to be fixed-width, even if the
person who sent the message intended it to flow:

mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support user set boolean true

Old 06-13-2011, 09:27 AM
Philipp Überbacher

Excerpts from Davide Baldini's message of 2011-06-13 04:28:18 +0200:
> What software do you use for mail/news?
> I see all your messages are proudly well formatted and perfectly fit in
> pages of 80 columns, while I have to push return each line. If i forget,
> lines gets splitted in my window but then when i send it out i
> see the big mistake...
>
> is there any margins setting? I use icedove (thunderbird 3.0.11)

I use a CLI mailer (sup) and vim for text editing, so in my case it's
vim that does the line wrapping. If memory serves vim is told that what
it edits is a mail and behaves accordingly, but there certainly are
manual settings for this stuff too.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:37 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 04:28:18 +0200, Davide Baldini wrote:

> What software do you use for mail/news? I see all your messages are
> proudly well formatted and perfectly fit in pages of 80 columns, while I
> have to push return each line. If i forget, lines gets splitted in my
> window but then when i send it out i see the big mistake...

I use Pan newsreader. But sometimes (e.g., with hyperlinks) when sending
messages I "force" a non line-break that may be rendered wrong in some
MUAs, dunno :-?

> is there any margins setting? I use icedove (thunderbird 3.0.11)

For reading or sending?

This doc covers both of them:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_FAQs_:_Viewing_Headers

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-13-2011, 01:37 PM
Camaleón

Old 06-13-2011, 01:50 PM
Chris Brennan

* Philipp ??berbacher <hollunder@lavabit.com> [2011-06-13 11:27:57 +0200]:

> Excerpts from Davide Baldini's message of 2011-06-13 04:28:18 +0200:
> > What software do you use for mail/news?
> > I see all your messages are proudly well formatted and perfectly fit in
> > pages of 80 columns, while I have to push return each line. If i forget,
> > lines gets splitted in my window but then when i send it out i
> > see the big mistake...
> >
> > is there any margins setting? I use icedove (thunderbird 3.0.11)
>
> I use a CLI mailer (sup) and vim for text editing, so in my case it's
> vim that does the line wrapping. If memory serves vim is told that what
> it edits is a mail and behaves accordingly, but there certainly are
> manual settings for this stuff too.

I'm a mutt user and vim is my editor of choice, if that's the route you
would like to go then the following will make your life somewhat easier.

chris@stewie.xaerolimit.net:~$ cat .vim/after/ftplugin/mail.vim
syntax on
setlocal wrap
setlocal textwidth=72
" do text=flowed wrapping
setlocal formatoptions+=wr
setlocal formatoptions-=l
" don't autoindent or smartindent, as that just adds weird spaces into
the
" middle of flowed text paragraphs
setlocal noautoindent nosmartindent
setlocal nopaste
chris@stewie.xaerolimit.net:~$

This is what vim reads when I reply to and/or compose mail to some one.
If you really want to jump into mutt, I would suggest subscribing to the
mutt-users mailing list as well and I can share my mutt configuration
(as can others) to help you along.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:50 PM
Chris Brennan

Old 06-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Davide Baldini

On 06/13/11 15:37, Camaleón wrote:
> This doc covers both of them:
>
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_FAQs_:_Viewing_Headers
>
> Greetings,

Oh thanks that's guide is much helpful. Anyway, i found the margin
setting as told earlier.