Old 06-12-2011, 10:04 PM
Nuno Magalhăes

Default psi instead of Skype

Hi,

Not an expert, but skype uses its own proprietary protocol, i think
(plus SIP to initiate), so i think you'd need a skype transport on
your jabber server. Again, not an expert.

Try converting your friends to open protocols instead [not an easy
task, i know]

HTH,
Nuno

--
Mars 2 Stay!
http://xkcd.com/801/

Old 06-13-2011, 09:19 AM
Philipp Überbacher

Excerpts from Nuno Magalhăes's message of 2011-06-13 00:04:14 +0200:
> Hi,
>
> Not an expert, but skype uses its own proprietary protocol, i think
> (plus SIP to initiate), so i think you'd need a skype transport on
> your jabber server. Again, not an expert.
>
> Try converting your friends to open protocols instead [not an easy
> task, i know]
>
> HTH,
> Nuno
>
> --
> Mars 2 Stay!
> http://xkcd.com/801/
> /etc

Afaik the audio codec skype uses is open now, but I too doubt that this
goes for the whole protocol. I doubt the situation will get better with
skype in the hands of ms.

just 2c

Old 06-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Nuno Magalhăes

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 10:19, Philipp Überbacher <hollunder@lavabit.com> wrote:
> I doubt the situation will get better with
> skype in the hands of ms.

There was a thread about that recently. AFAIK it'll just get
integrated into MSN-Live or whatever it's called.

My 2˘
Nuno

--
Mars 2 Stay! But a torus on L1 first, please.
http://xkcd.com/801/

Old 06-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Andreas Weber

On 2011-06-13 11:19, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> Afaik the audio codec skype uses is open now, but I too doubt that this
> goes for the whole protocol. I doubt the situation will get better with
> skype in the hands of ms.

Ok, I didn't express myself clear enough, sorry for that.

Forget Skype. I would like to know if any of you has successfully used
psi only for talking. Jabber only.

I've been using psi for years to do cross-chat with icq, msn etc., works
fine. Talking works to under certain conditions, but it seems that some
cross NAT barriers await me on the run. Here I would appreciate your
insights.

ändu

Old 06-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 23:04:14 +0100, Nuno Magalhăes wrote:

(...)

> Try converting your friends to open protocols instead [not an easy
> task, i know]

For those -friends, family, skype-friendly, etc...- I just simply use
the low land-line/mobile rates my SIP provider has and place them a
standard call.

I never liked Sykpe, it's all the opposite I think a good SIP software
should be: open and standards compliant.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Camaleón

Old 06-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Philipp Überbacher

Excerpts from Andreas Weber's message of 2011-06-13 12:43:30 +0200:
> On 2011-06-13 11:19, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> > Afaik the audio codec skype uses is open now, but I too doubt that this
> > goes for the whole protocol. I doubt the situation will get better with
> > skype in the hands of ms.
>
> Ok, I didn't express myself clear enough, sorry for that.
>
> Forget Skype. I would like to know if any of you has successfully used
> psi only for talking. Jabber only.
>
> I've been using psi for years to do cross-chat with icq, msn etc., works
> fine. Talking works to under certain conditions, but it seems that some
> cross NAT barriers await me on the run. Here I would appreciate your
> insights.
>
> ändu

I did experiment with it once, not sure I used psi though, might have
been empathy or another client. I did have problems with the university
firewall I'm behind, we had to use some google thing to get it to work
at all. Google talk or whatever it's called is XMPP + Jingle (the voice
extension), although I think googles voice extension is different from
the standard one. Anyways, if you have trouble with NAT, look for that
google NAT traversal thing.

Philipp

Old 06-13-2011, 04:33 PM
Brian

On Mon 13 Jun 2011 at 14:24:54 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> For those -friends, family, skype-friendly, etc...- I just simply use
> the low land-line/mobile rates my SIP provider has and place them a
> standard call.

There some good deals in the SIP --> PSTN world but, depending on your
country of residence and the regulatory telecom regime, PSTN --> PSTN
can be very competitive with it.

> I never liked Sykpe, it's all the opposite I think a good SIP software
> should be: open and standards compliant.

One area in which Skype (the network, not the software) scores is that
any Skype (the network) user can connect to any other Skype user. It is
not unlikely for sip: user@sipnetwork.com to fail because sipnetwork.com
does not allow this rather basic usage of the SIP protocol.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:58 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 17:33:41 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Mon 13 Jun 2011 at 14:24:54 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> For those -friends, family, skype-friendly, etc...- I just simply use
>> the low land-line/mobile rates my SIP provider has and place them a
>> standard call.
>
> There some good deals in the SIP --> PSTN world but, depending on your
> country of residence and the regulatory telecom regime, PSTN --> PSTN
> can be very competitive with it.

Here (Spain) rates for mobile phone calls are still very expensive.
There are some bonuses for free calling when you sign-up for some offers
but I find that options very limited and restrictive (calls must have
place between X and Y hour of the day, cannot last more that Z minutes,
they don't apply when you call to the competing carrier...). A complete
and inconvenient mess.

Spanish telecommunications market is (still!) a "game" that takes place
between 3 main carriers in mobile telephony (Telefonica, Vodafone and
Orange) but Telefonica is the "king of the hill" when it comes to land
line.

>> I never liked Sykpe, it's all the opposite I think a good SIP software
>> should be: open and standards compliant.
>
> One area in which Skype (the network, not the software) scores is that
> any Skype (the network) user can connect to any other Skype user. It is
> not unlikely for sip: user@sipnetwork.com to fail because sipnetwork.com
> does not allow this rather basic usage of the SIP protocol.

I think we are still in an early stage of the SIP/VoIP telephony. I'd say
most of the Skype success has been to be the first company to offer what
users wanted at a very low rates (or free for their internal traffic)
when nobody else provided such services. And beeing the first -while not
being the best- has its reward: a legion of users that are now stuck with
them because their buddies are also using it.

This has to change when ENUM numbers become a reality and all the SIP
traffic is transparently routed regardless of the network.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Brian

On Mon 13 Jun 2011 at 18:58:40 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> Here (Spain) rates for mobile phone calls are still very expensive.
> There are some bonuses for free calling when you sign-up for some offers
> but I find that options very limited and restrictive (calls must have
> place between X and Y hour of the day, cannot last more that Z minutes,
> they don't apply when you call to the competing carrier...). A complete
> and inconvenient mess.

The telecoms industry here in the UK has a similar intricate and
confusing way of presenting its offers. Nowadays broadband is part of
the equation and they hope to tie you into them for everything. You need
to be very well informed to discern a good deal.

But the PSTN can be cheap:

http://www.call18866.com

Note: 5p per UK call. 0p per minute. You may be familiar with the
company which runs it!

> Spanish telecommunications market is (still!) a "game" that takes place
> between 3 main carriers in mobile telephony (Telefonica, Vodafone and
> Orange) but Telefonica is the "king of the hill" when it comes to land
> line.

Having a daughter who has lived and worked in Madrid for a long time the
apparent lack of real choice was an incentive for me to set up a direct
SIP link between us.

> This has to change when ENUM numbers become a reality and all the SIP
> traffic is transparently routed regardless of the network.

I'd like to think so too, but I'm not as optimistic as you.