Old 06-12-2011, 07:37 PM
AG

Default No input devices in wheezy +additional info

On 12/06/11 19:34, AG wrote:
My keyboard works fine at the GRUB screen, enabling me to select the
kernel to boot. However, at gdm3 (and kdm as well now as the
default), neither mouse nor keyboard works.

Doing a hard reboot, I can boot into recovery mode and from there
startx and as root, keyboard and mouse work fine. But, logging out as
root and coming back to the login screen, again input devices are frozen.

Research from the web seems to suggest this is a known bug, but the
resolutions are confusing: some suggest rm -fr /run but that doesn't
work for me; others suggest it is something to do with udev, whilst
others think it has something to do with xorg.conf. So far, the only
workarounds seem to be hacks that work for some but not for others.
There do seem to be a number of bugs reported on this already.

I am currently using my user account, but had to get into it via
recovery mode, going to root and su to my user account. This seems to
be okay, but it is not a preferred route.

Can someone please give me some advice on how to fix this.

Am I looking at downgrading udev or upgrading it or ... ? And if
downgrading it, how do I do that without losing everything else that
seems to be dependent on it?

For reference, this is an installation from squeeze that was updated
to wheezy, but I have now read that this is an issue for those who
have done fresh wheezy installs as well.

Thanks for any help.

AG

Additional info if helpful ...

No name brand PS/2 keyboard 105 keys intl

Logitech USB marble mouse

Problem can be replicated using an alternate USB keyboard (Logitech).

Thanks again.

AG