Old 06-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Is there any valid reason to add an script to /etc/init.d by an default Debian install that only cause a PITA?

On Sun, 2011-06-12 at 17:52 +0100, Brian wrote:
> On Sun 12 Jun 2011 at 17:35:02 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> > - I run audio sessions by shell scripts, hence I can set the governor to
> > performance, while it's ok when it's set to ondemand for non-audio
> > usage.
>
> Some choices:
>
> 1. File a bug report. But read bug #461470 first.
>
> 2. Install gnome-applets.

I don't have any issue, I've got proper Linux DAWs. The GNOME applet
isn't a solution since inexperienced users have no idea that jackd isn't
working without glitches, regarding to CPU frequency scaling. I'm an
experienced Linux audio user, but since a while very often people have
issues regarding to a 'hidden' frequency scaling. Frequency scaling
should be set by the kernel config and FWIW, it safes nearly no energy
consumption to chose 'ondemand' instead of 'performance'. It might safe
around 1 W, e.g instead of 45W for an Athlon dual-core, it will be
around 44 W. I suspect that experienced audio users start their audio
sessions by scripts, including to switch the CPU frequency scaling if
needed, at least I do so. A DAW isn't a flashy toy desktop with all
kinds of funny toys in the panel.

Safe energy caused by a portable computers display. And if you think CPU
frequency scaling has any effect to the load, than use the kernel's
config for a default kernel to set the governor to ondemand and for
real-time kernels it should be set to performance, so everybody's needs
are fit.

2 Cents,

Ralf

Old 06-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Sun, 2011-06-12 at 20:00 +0100, Brian wrote:
> On Sun 12 Jun 2011 at 20:16:19 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> > I don't have any issue, . . . . . .
>
> Then I, for one, am lost as to why you sent your original mail if you do
> not want technical help.

With hope that Debian developers join a users list to get information
about the needs of users . IMO users shouldn't spoil a developers/
package builders list.

Regards,

Ralf