Old 06-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default k3b can't burn audio CD, got a few coasters today

Sorry, I can't help you, but perhaps there's a better way to eject a CD.
I don't know how Debian currently does mount those drives, but perhaps
this isn't outdated:

http://www.crazysquirrel.com/computing/debian/unmounting.jspx

Old 06-11-2011, 11:21 PM
Scott Ferguson

On 12/06/11 08:48, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Sorry, I can't help you, but perhaps there's a better way to eject a CD.
> I don't know how Debian currently does mount those drives, but perhaps
> this isn't outdated:
>
> http://www.crazysquirrel.com/computing/debian/unmounting.jspx

umount -l /path/to/mount
eject
eject -T
eject -r
eject -s

If more than one device, follow eject with path to mount

Cheers

--
The world is like a ride in an amusement park.
And when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how

Old 06-11-2011, 11:37 PM
"H.S."

On 11/06/11 07:21 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 12/06/11 08:48, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> Sorry, I can't help you, but perhaps there's a better way to eject a CD.
>> I don't know how Debian currently does mount those drives, but perhaps
>> this isn't outdated:
>>
>> http://www.crazysquirrel.com/computing/debian/unmounting.jspx
>>

> umount -l /path/to/mount
> eject
> eject -T
> eject -r
> eject -s
>
> If more than one device, follow eject with path to mount
>
> Cheers

er .. perhaps a dumb question, is a disc mounted while being written to?

ever having been read.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:43 PM
"H.S."

Additional info:
If it matters, when I insert a blank disc in to the drive, gnomebaker
starts automatically even if I am KDE. I close it promptly and continue
with using k3b. However, the same thing happened when I was able to burn
some cds successfully in the recent few days.

Also, I have returned audio CD burning after several months. I never had
this kind of a problem before. My Debian Testing machine is fully updated.

ever having been read.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Sat, 2011-06-11 at 19:37 -0400, H.S. wrote:
> On 11/06/11 07:21 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> > On 12/06/11 08:48, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >> Sorry, I can't help you, but perhaps there's a better way to eject a CD.
> >> I don't know how Debian currently does mount those drives, but perhaps
> >> this isn't outdated:
> >>
> >> http://www.crazysquirrel.com/computing/debian/unmounting.jspx
> >>

> > umount -l /path/to/mount
> > eject
> > eject -T
> > eject -r
> > eject -s
> >
> > If more than one device, follow eject with path to mount
> >
> > Cheers
> >

> er .. perhaps a dumb question, is a disc mounted while being written to?

Before you get write or read access a disc is mounted. I'm not sure if
it's possible to u(n)mount the drive when it's still working. I suspect
that Scott has the better knowledge, if not, try the tips given by the
link. I didn't read the link and I don't know how those media get
mounted, perhaps by 'something' called HAL,
http://images.wikia.com/2001/images/1/18/Hal9000.jpg , Ralf

Old 06-12-2011, 01:01 AM
"H.S."

On 11/06/11 07:52 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-06-11 at 19:37 -0400, H.S. wrote:

>>> umount -l /path/to/mount
>>> eject
>>> eject -T
>>> eject -r
>>> eject -s
>>>
>>> If more than one device, follow eject with path to mount
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>

>> er .. perhaps a dumb question, is a disc mounted while being written to?
>
> Before you get write or read access a disc is mounted. I'm not sure if
> it's possible to u(n)mount the drive when it's still working. I suspect
> that Scott has the better knowledge, if not, try the tips given by the
> link. I didn't read the link and I don't know how those media get
> mounted, perhaps by 'something' called HAL,
> http://images.wikia.com/2001/images/1/18/Hal9000.jpg , Ralf

I also assumed hal was at work. However, I noticed with some concern
today that while doing a safe-upgrade with aptitude, hal was being
removed. What I have now is:
$ dpkg -l hal*

Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
||/ Name Version
Description
+++-==========================================-==========================================-================================================== ==================================================
rc hal 0.5.14-6 Hardware Abstraction Layer
un hal-cups-utils <none> (no description available)
un hal-info <none> (no description available)

So, doesn't look like hal is playing any role anymore, much to my surprise.

ever having been read.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:09 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 12/06/11 09:52, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-06-11 at 19:37 -0400, H.S. wrote:
>> On 11/06/11 07:21 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>>> On 12/06/11 08:48, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
<snipped>

>> er .. perhaps a dumb question, is a disc mounted while being written to?

No. And No.

Eject doesn't care about mount.
I've had plenty of drives lock up my system because of an unreadable
sector - when they don't promptly respond to an eject command I like to
open them with a hammer. (it's the only way they learn respect)

I don't have a Wheezy box on hand, and I only use K3B for burning.

Don't know what you require in the example posted (various audio
conversions could be required).

K3b Settings --> Configure K3b --> Setup External Programs --> Programs
shows:-
cdrdao, cdrecord, dvd+rw-format, growisofs, mkisofs, readcd, sox, and
transcode installed.

K3b Settings --> Configure K3b --> Plugins shows:-
All K3b plugins are installed

K3b Settings --> Configure K3b --> Setup System Settings shows:-
I have not created a burning group, I have not changed the permissions
for wodim, cdrdao, or growisofs (root 0755)
/dev/sr0 is my CD/DVD drive set to root 660

edited debug from successful burn:-
System
-----------------------
K3b Version: 2.0.1
KDE Version: 4.4.5 (KDE 4.4.5)
QT Version: 4.6.3
Kernel: 2.6.32-5-686

Used versions
-----------------------
cdrecord: 1.1.11

cdrecord
-----------------------
/usr/bin/wodim: Operation not permitted. Warning: Cannot raise
RLIMIT_MEMLOCK limits.
scsidev: '/dev/sr0'
devname: '/dev/sr0'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Wodim version: 1.1.11
SCSI buffer size: 64512
Beginning DMA speed test. Set CDR_NODMATEST environment variable if device
communication breaks or freezes immediately after that.
Text len: 468
TOC Type: 0 = CD-DA
Driveropts: 'burnfree'
Device type : Removable CD-ROM

usr/bin/wodim -v gracetime=2 dev=/dev/sr0 speed=16 -sao
driveropts=burnfree textfile=/tmp/qt_temp.ee6940 -useinfo -audio
/tmp/kde-scott/k3b_audio_0_01.inf /tmp/kde-scott/k3b_audio_0_02.inf
/tmp/kde-scott/k3b_audio_0_03.inf /tmp/kde-scott/k3b_audio_0_04.inf
/tmp/kde-scott/k3b_audio_0_05.inf /tmp/kde-scott/k3b_audio_0_06.inf
/tmp/kde-scott/k3b_audio_0_07.inf /tmp/kde-scott/k3b_audio_0_08.inf
/tmp/kde-scott/k3b_audio_0_09.inf /tmp/kde-scott/k3b_audio_0_10.inf
/tmp/kde-scott/k3b_audio_0_11.inf /tmp/kde-scott/k3b_audio_0_12.inf
/tmp/kde-scott/k3b_audio_0_13.inf /tmp/kde-scott/k3b_audio_0_14.inf
/tmp/kde-scott/k3b_audio_0_15.inf

My device permissions are the same as what you posted. I am a member of
cdrom (no burning group).

I have plenty of space.

Does gnomebaker work?
Anything relevant in dmesg?

Cheers

Old 06-12-2011, 01:30 AM
"H.S."

On 11/06/11 09:09 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 12/06/11 09:52, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> <snipped>
>>>>

>>> er .. perhaps a dumb question, is a disc mounted while being written to?
>
> No. And No.
>
> Eject doesn't care about mount.

That is what I had always assumed, but I wasn't sure.

<snip>

I have most of the things as you described above. Did not have
transcode, but installed it just now.

> I have plenty of space.

So should I, at least for k3b. Around 1.5 Gb in /home and about 1.8 G in
/tmp.

> Does gnomebaker work?

Haven't tried it yet. In fact, I have no idea how to use it to burn an
audio CD from mp3 files. It is quite dumb really in that respect.

> Anything relevant in dmesg?

Not that I could make out that would give more info than the log that I
already posted.

ever having been read.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:32 AM
"H.S."

On 11/06/11 09:30 PM, H.S. wrote:
> On 11/06/11 09:09 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:

>> Does gnomebaker work?
>
> Haven't tried it yet. In fact, I have no idea how to use it to burn an
> audio CD from mp3 files. It is quite dumb really in that respect.

Sorry, not gnomebaker but nautilus. Haven't tried gnomebaker yet, will
do so now.

ever having been read.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:02 AM
"H.S."

On 11/06/11 09:32 PM, H.S. wrote:
> On 11/06/11 09:30 PM, H.S. wrote:
>> On 11/06/11 09:09 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>

>>> Does gnomebaker work?
>>
>> Haven't tried it yet. In fact, I have no idea how to use it to burn an
>> audio CD from mp3 files. It is quite dumb really in that respect.
>
> Sorry, not gnomebaker but nautilus. Haven't tried gnomebaker yet, will
> do so now.

Gnomebaker is no more, is it? apt-cache search gnomebaker turns up nothing.

ever having been read.