Old 06-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Robert Holtzman

Default installing .debs from hdd

How can I install multiple debs residing in a directory on my hard drive?
Unless I missed it, running a search, the Debian Reference manual and the
Maintainers Guide shows nothing applicable. Any pointers appreciated.

--
Bob Holtzman
If you think you're getting free lunch,

Old 06-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Scott Ferguson

On 12/06/11 06:22, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> How can I install multiple debs residing in a directory on my hard drive?
> Unless I missed it, running a search, the Debian Reference manual and the
> Maintainers Guide shows nothing applicable. Any pointers appreciated.

# dpkg -i /path/to/harddrive/*.deb

Cheers

--
Tuttle? His name's Buttle.
There must be some mistake.

Terry Gilliam's "Brazil"

Old 06-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Brad Rogers

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 13:22:50 -0700
Robert Holtzman <holtzm@cox.net> wrote:

Hello Robert,

> How can I install multiple debs residing in a directory on my hard
> drive?

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/repository-howto/repository-howto will
show you how.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Old 06-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Frank McCormick

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 13:22:50 -0700
Robert Holtzman <holtzm@cox.net> wrote:

> How can I install multiple debs residing in a directory on my hard drive?
> Unless I missed it, running a search, the Debian Reference manual and the
> Maintainers Guide shows nothing applicable. Any pointers appreciated.

as root

dpkg -i /whatever/directory/xxxx.deb

--
-- Frank --

Old 06-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 06:45:04AM +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 12/06/11 06:22, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> > How can I install multiple debs residing in a directory on my hard drive?
> > Unless I missed it, running a search, the Debian Reference manual and the
> > Maintainers Guide shows nothing applicable. Any pointers appreciated.
> >
> # dpkg -i /path/to/harddrive/*.deb

That did the trick. Thanks. BTW, where in the docs does it mention this
situation and point to dpkg? I would love to know where I missed it.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:12 PM
Wayne Topa

How can I install multiple debs residing in a directory on my hard drive?
Unless I missed it, running a search, the Debian Reference manual and the
Maintainers Guide shows nothing applicable. Any pointers appreciated.

# dpkg -i /path/to/harddrive/*.deb

That did the trick. Thanks. BTW, where in the docs does it mention this
situation and point to dpkg? I would love to know where I missed it.

man dpkg

Archive: 4DF52BAC.6000500@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DF52BAC.6000500@gmail.com

Old 06-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Brian

On Sun 12 Jun 2011 at 13:27:49 -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:

> That did the trick. Thanks. BTW, where in the docs does it mention this
> situation and point to dpkg? I would love to know where I missed it.

Debian Reference. Section 2.4.1.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:41 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 10:24:37PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> On Sun 12 Jun 2011 at 13:27:49 -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:
>
> > That did the trick. Thanks. BTW, where in the docs does it mention this
> > situation and point to dpkg? I would love to know where I missed it.
>
> Debian Reference. Section 2.4.1.

Thanks. I don't feel *quite* so bad about missing it. It takes a fair
amount of digging to get there.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:06 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 13/06/11 06:27, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 06:45:04AM +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> On 12/06/11 06:22, Robert Holtzman wrote:
>>> How can I install multiple debs residing in a directory on my hard drive?
>>> Unless I missed it, running a search, the Debian Reference manual and the
>>> Maintainers Guide shows nothing applicable. Any pointers appreciated.
>>>
>> # dpkg -i /path/to/harddrive/*.deb
>
> That did the trick. Thanks. BTW, where in the docs does it mention this
> situation and point to dpkg? I would love to know where I missed it.

http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-pkg_basics.en.html
man dpkg
dpkg --help

Easy to miss given that much of the introductory documentation focuses
on high-level package management tools.
I find a useful approach is to forget about "remembering how to do
things" and focus on learning "what is possible". If you know what is
possible it's relatively simple to find out how. :-)

Cheers

--
We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.
~ Bill Hicks

Old 06-13-2011, 05:09 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 01:06:06PM +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:

.........snip........

> http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-pkg_basics.en.html
> man dpkg
> dpkg --help
>
> Easy to miss given that much of the introductory documentation focuses
> on high-level package management tools.
> I find a useful approach is to forget about "remembering how to do
> things" and focus on learning "what is possible". If you know what is
> possible it's relatively simple to find out how. :-)

Agreed. The problem in this case is that nothing pointed me to dpkg. I'm
used to working with apt and aptitude and tend to forget they're front
ends for dpkg.