Old 06-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Miles Fidelman

Default open source time/expense tracking package?

Thanks for the suggestions. So far....

sillaj: too simple

dotproject: seems like it might be buried in there, but way too complex,
undocumented, the demo is down, ...

opentimetool: looks like it might do the trick - unfortunately, I can't
read German, and both the English documentation and demo are sketchy.
Guido - since you indicated that you're using it in production, you us
it - can you tell me if it provides for timesheet approval by a supervisor?

It really is funny - I've gone through the wikipedia lists, as well as a
lot of other lists of "10 best open source project management tools" and
such --- you'd think that with all the folks who do various kinds of
project-oriented work there's be something out there that does basic
corporate-style time-sheet processing, you know:

- enter your time data by project
- submit at the end of the week
- supervisor approval
- export in a form that can be ingested by quickbooks or some other
accounting/billing package

- keep an audit trail (or at least a basic log)

Fairly simple-minded vis-a-vis project management software, but seems to
be hard (impossible?) to find - except in commercial products or
services. (Plus a few "pretend open-source" things out there - i.e.,
really crippled community versions of commercial products.)

Pieces of this also exist as Drupal and Wordpress plug-ins - but no cigar.

Sigh... might have to write one. Seems like a natural for some form of
forms/workflow engine that provides spreadsheet functionality - any
suggestions there?

Miles

In<fnord> practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra

Archive: 4DF390BD.60302@meetinghouse.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DF390BD.60302@meetinghouse.net

Old 06-11-2011, 04:17 PM
"John A. Sullivan III"

On Sat, 2011-06-11 at 11:58 -0400, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions. So far....
>
> sillaj: too simple
>
> dotproject: seems like it might be buried in there, but way too complex,
> undocumented, the demo is down, ...
>
> opentimetool: looks like it might do the trick - unfortunately, I can't
> read German, and both the English documentation and demo are sketchy.
> Guido - since you indicated that you're using it in production, you us
> it - can you tell me if it provides for timesheet approval by a supervisor?
>
> It really is funny - I've gone through the wikipedia lists, as well as a
> lot of other lists of "10 best open source project management tools" and
> such --- you'd think that with all the folks who do various kinds of
> project-oriented work there's be something out there that does basic
> corporate-style time-sheet processing, you know:
> - enter your time data by project
> - submit at the end of the week
> - supervisor approval
> - export in a form that can be ingested by quickbooks or some other
> accounting/billing package
> - keep an audit trail (or at least a basic log)
>
> Fairly simple-minded vis-a-vis project management software, but seems to
> be hard (impossible?) to find - except in commercial products or
> services. (Plus a few "pretend open-source" things out there - i.e.,
> really crippled community versions of commercial products.)
>
> Pieces of this also exist as Drupal and Wordpress plug-ins - but no cigar.
>
> Sigh... might have to write one. Seems like a natural for some form of
> forms/workflow engine that provides spreadsheet functionality - any
> suggestions there?
<snip>
>From my brief foray into it, I think you are right. The web2project
demo is up and looks just like dotProject only much faster - to the
point we may consider converting. It will give you a feel for what
either of those projects can do. It is really more project management
than timesheet management. Good luck and let us know the final result -
John

Old 06-11-2011, 08:20 PM
"Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd]"

Active Collab is what we used to use, it's pretty nice.

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 2:10 AM, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> wrote:

Hi Folks,

I've been looking high and low for *a simple time & expense tracking package that I can run on my (Debian) server, to support a small project team. *Can't seem to find anything but commercial web services (e.g., clicktime).

So... Figured I'd ask and see if anyone here has found such a beast - packaged for Debian, obviously.

Thanks much,

Miles Fidelman

In<fnord> *practice, there is. * .... Yogi Berra

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4DF2C06B.6020601@meetinghouse.net

Old 06-12-2011, 03:45 AM
Miles Fidelman

Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd] wrote:

Active Collab

but not open source

In<fnord> practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra

Archive: 4DF4364E.2050603@meetinghouse.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DF4364E.2050603@meetinghouse.net

Old 06-12-2011, 10:25 AM
"Guido Hecken"

What do you mean exactly with "timesheet approval"?
Things in opentimetool work like this:
Supervisor (User in Admin Mode) creates and defines
- Users
- Customers
- Projects
- Assignment of teams to projects
- Max effort on Projects (timebased)
- Project valid from date to date
- Project closed after x days

Of course, an admin user can review and alter the timesheets of other team members.

Apart from the above mentioned admin tools and the main time collect features in normal user mode, viewing projects and time effort (with filters) and exporting things to pdf or csv, there are no main administration options in opentimetool.
They keep things simple, and we love simplicity, don't we?
:-)

Regards,
Guido

Old 06-12-2011, 08:50 PM
"Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd]"

"You get full*source*code access so you can make the system behave just the"

Quoted from their website.

Sure, you have to pay a license, but you get the full source code to do whatever you want with after you purchase the license.

Give it a try, we've used it for years for internal time tracking (along with a desktop start/stop widget) and tasks.. works perfectly.

Cal

Old 06-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Jörg-Volker Peetz

How about redmine (www.redmine.org)?
That is a real nice project management system.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:23 PM
Miles Fidelman

Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:

How about redmine (www.redmine.org)?
That is a real nice project management system.

time sheets - fill in, "sign" and submit, approve, transfer to
accounting/billing system, maintain audit log

expense reports - fill in, "sign and submit, approve, transfer to
accounting/billing system, generate list of checks to write, maintain
audit log

both are very simple processes, common to pretty much any environment
that provides professional services on a time & materials basis -- lots
of people do it on paper, there are a good number of commercial
packages, but nothing that I can find that's FOSS (even when surrounded
by huge amounts of project management stuff that I have no need for)

redmine (and most other project management systems I've looked at)
provide for tracking time against tasks, but none of the formal stuff
needed for accounting and billing (particularly for government contracts)

In<fnord> practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra

Archive: 4DF52E56.50207@meetinghouse.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DF52E56.50207@meetinghouse.net

Old 06-13-2011, 06:46 AM

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 2:46 AM, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> wrote:

Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd] wrote:

"You get full /source/ code access so you can make the system behave just the"

I guess I should have said it's not FOSS.

Give it a try, we've used it for years for internal time tracking (along with a desktop start/stop widget) and tasks.. works perfectly.

I really don't care about a desktop start/stop widget. *Does it do standard timesheet type stuff, you know:

- enter hours against projects

- "sign" and submit

- approval

- export to billing system

Couldn't figure that out from the online materials (horrible sales materials for a software product you pay for), and the hosted demo seems to only do very trivial time tracking and reporting.

Actually, come to think of it, we are looking to move away from ActiveCollab.. Mostly because it really sucks balls in many other aspects. Can I withdraw my recommendation? lol.*

In<fnord> *practice, there is. * .... Yogi Berra

Old 06-13-2011, 07:07 AM
Sudev Barar

On 13 June 2011 12:16, Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd]
<cal.leeming@simplicitymedialtd.co.uk> wrote:
>> I really don't care about a desktop start/stop widget. *Does it do
>> standard timesheet type stuff, you know:
>> - enter hours against projects
>> - "sign" and submit
>> - approval
>> - export to billing system
>>
>> Couldn't figure that out from the online materials (horrible sales
>> materials for a software product you pay for), and the hosted demo seems to
>> only do very trivial time tracking and reporting.

That is exactly what I wanted. So I took sillaj code and
modified/extended it to add approvals and export as spreadsheet
functions.

Right now this is not being used and if any one wants to try it out I
can set up a account on the server for test. Only three / four people
please.

Sudev Barar

PS: Replying using bottom post/in-line post makes email conversations
whole lot easier for meaningful dialogue. Snip out what is not
relevant. Adopt this and spread the message.