Old 06-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Andreas Weber

Default Can't install on an Intel iMac

On 2011-06-11 14:14, Mike Hore wrote:
> I've installed EFI to control which partition to boot off.

Do you mean http://refit.sourceforge.net/ ? You can't install EFI, it's
already on the machine like BIOS was on old hardware.

> There's a Wiki article about Intel Macs, but it talks about custom
> kernels and I don't want to go there. I don't want a Windows partition,
> just Mac and Linux. I'm getting nowhere -- I'd be grateful for any help!!

There are different approaches, but this one works 100 % almost always:

1. Install the MacOS.
2. Use BootCamp to downsize the Mac Partition or use the disk utility.
3. Install rEFIt on the Mac. Don't forget to run enable-always.sh.
4. Boot, choose the rEFIt partitioning tool, sync the MBR.
5. Insert the CD, reboot, press C.
6. Install Debian with kernel options 'nomodeset reboot=pci'.
7. Install Grub as proposed.
8. Finish the installation.
9. Reboot, choose the rEFIT partitioning tool, sync the MBR.
10. Reboot, pick whatever you want as OS in rEFIt.

If you like, define the default OS in the refit conf file under MacOS.

HTH, šndu

Old 06-12-2011, 02:26 AM
Mike Hore

I've installed EFI to control which partition to boot off.

Do you mean http://refit.sourceforge.net/ ? You can't install EFI, it's
already on the machine like BIOS was on old hardware.

Hi Andreas -- yes, I meant rEFIt.

There's a Wiki article about Intel Macs, but it talks about custom
kernels and I don't want to go there. I don't want a Windows partition,
just Mac and Linux. I'm getting nowhere -- I'd be grateful for any help!!

There are different approaches, but this one works 100 % almost always:

1. Install the MacOS.
2. Use BootCamp to downsize the Mac Partition or use the disk utility.

I didn't use BootCamp, but I've got the Mac partition downsized OK, as a
result of my earlier installation attempts. I just backed everything up
and restored onto the downsized partition, which I probably didn't have
to do, but it's done now.

3. Install rEFIt on the Mac. Don't forget to run enable-always.sh.

It's installed, but I don't know what you mean by enable-always.sh.
Sorry, I'm new to this.

4. Boot, choose the rEFIt partitioning tool, sync the MBR.

Umm... it looks like it's going to wipe the Mac partition if I do that!
Am I going to have to save everything and restore again?

5. Insert the CD, reboot, press C.
6. Install Debian with kernel options 'nomodeset reboot=pci'.

How do I select those options?

7. Install Grub as proposed.
8. Finish the installation.
9. Reboot, choose the rEFIT partitioning tool, sync the MBR.

What - do it again??

10. Reboot, pick whatever you want as OS in rEFIt.

If you like, define the default OS in the refit conf file under MacOS.

Where's that?

Thanks, but you obviously are much more knowledgeable than me in this
area. If you can answer these thing for me, I'll give it a go.

Cheers, Mike.

Archive: 4DF423BE.10609@aapt.net.au">http://lists.debian.org/4DF423BE.10609@aapt.net.au

Old 06-12-2011, 07:58 AM
Andreas Weber

On 2011-06-12 04:26, Mike Hore wrote:
>> 3. Install rEFIt on the Mac. Don't forget to run enable-always.sh.
>
> It's installed, but I don't know what you mean by enable-always.sh.
> Sorry, I'm new to this.

In MacOS, open up a terminal, go to /efi/refit/ and run
'enable-always.sh' so rEFIt is invoked on boot all the time.

>> 4. Boot, choose the rEFIt partitioning tool, sync the MBR.
>
> Umm... it looks like it's going to wipe the Mac partition if I do that!
> Am I going to have to save everything and restore again?

No. If you open up the partitioning tool of rEFIt from the boot menu,
it will ask you if it should sync the MBR table for you. Yes, it should.

If no action is needed, then quit the partitioning tool.

>> 5. Insert the CD, reboot, press C.
>> 6. Install Debian with kernel options 'nomodeset reboot=pci'.
>
> How do I select those options?

You can set them once the installer has loaded and you choose if you
want to do normal, expert or whatever install. If you don't, your Linux
will hang during the reboot. Plan B: don't set it on install and if the
install is done and the reboot hangs, kill the machine with the power
button. Continue with 9., and once in Linux, set the options in
/etc/default/grub and have a line in it like
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset reboot=pci"

>> 9. Reboot, choose the rEFIT partitioning tool, sync the MBR.
>
> What - do it again??

Yes, do it again. If you don't, your Linux won't boot.

>> 10. Reboot, pick whatever you want as OS in rEFIt.
>>
>> If you like, define the default OS in the refit conf file under MacOS.
>
> Where's that?

Edit in MacOS /efi/refit/refit.conf, use 'default_selection L' after you
read the fine manual. ;-)

HTH, šndu

Old 06-13-2011, 12:48 AM
Mike Hore

Hi Andu,

3. Install rEFIt on the Mac. Don't forget to run enable-always.sh.

It's installed, but I don't know what you mean by enable-always.sh.
Sorry, I'm new to this.

In MacOS, open up a terminal, go to /efi/refit/ and run
'enable-always.sh' so rEFIt is invoked on boot all the time.

OK, thanks.

4. Boot, choose the rEFIt partitioning tool, sync the MBR.

Umm... it looks like it's going to wipe the Mac partition if I do that!
Am I going to have to save everything and restore again?

No. If you open up the partitioning tool of rEFIt from the boot menu,
it will ask you if it should sync the MBR table for you. Yes, it should.

OK. Yes, it's saying it wants to do it.

If no action is needed, then quit the partitioning tool.

5. Insert the CD, reboot, press C.
6. Install Debian with kernel options 'nomodeset reboot=pci'.

How do I select those options?

You can set them once the installer has loaded and you choose if you
want to do normal, expert or whatever install. If you don't, your Linux
will hang during the reboot. Plan B: don't set it on install and if the
install is done and the reboot hangs, kill the machine with the power
button. Continue with 9., and once in Linux, set the options in
/etc/default/grub and have a line in it like
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset reboot=pci"

OK, I'll try one of those.

9. Reboot, choose the rEFIT partitioning tool, sync the MBR.

What - do it again??

Yes, do it again. If you don't, your Linux won't boot.

10. Reboot, pick whatever you want as OS in rEFIt.

If you like, define the default OS in the refit conf file under MacOS.

Where's that?

Edit in MacOS /efi/refit/refit.conf, use 'default_selection L' after you
read the fine manual. ;-)

Whoops, there's a manual? :-) :-)

I'll post the results of how I go.

Cheers, Mike.

Archive: 4DF55E68.2030600@aapt.net.au">http://lists.debian.org/4DF55E68.2030600@aapt.net.au

Old 06-13-2011, 09:21 AM
Mike Hore

Hi Andu,

Still no success, sorry.

Here's a rundown of what I did:

1. Rebooted, entered the rEFIt partitioner. Synced the MBR. Seemed to
be OK. Afterwards I reentered the partitioner, just for curiosity, but
this time I got the message

Analysis inconclusive, will not touch this disk.
Error: NotFound returned from gptsync.efi

I have no idea what that means, so I proceeded anyway.

2. Booted from the install CD. Did normal install with the hope of
setting the kernel option afterwards. After installation, rebooted,
selected the Linux partition in rEFIt, but it hung with a blank screen.
No way out.

3. Forced reboot with the power key. Did an expert install. Nowhere
did it give me the option to set kernel options 'nomodeset reboot=pci'
which you asked me to do. So at the end of the installation I chose the
option to execute a shell, and used nano to put the line

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset reboot=pci"
into /etc/default/grub, as you suggested as a plan B.

Ran update-grub as it asked me to.

Exited the shell, ended the installation, rebooted.

4. Again used rEFIt to sync the MBR.

From there I got EXACTLY the results I got the first time. So I can't
boot into Linux -- I just get a hang, whatever I do.

I'm really a bit astonished that it seems to be so hard to install
Debian on what's now quite common hardware -- an Intel iMac. As I said
earlier, it was easy on my PPC iMac. I'm not exactly a newbie although
I am very new to Intel hardware.

Any other suggestions????

Cheers, Mike.

Archive: 4DF5D692.5080300@aapt.net.au">http://lists.debian.org/4DF5D692.5080300@aapt.net.au

Old 06-13-2011, 09:39 AM
Mike Hore

Hi again Andu,

I should have added, that in all cases I installed GRUB on my Linux
partition (/dev/sda2), not the MBR. Also I always set the bootable flag
on that partition to "on". Is this what I should be doing?

Cheers, Mike.

Archive: 4DF5DAD2.4020908@aapt.net.au">http://lists.debian.org/4DF5DAD2.4020908@aapt.net.au

Old 06-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Andreas Weber

On 2011-06-13 11:39, Mike Hore wrote:
> I should have added, that in all cases I installed GRUB on my Linux
> partition (/dev/sda2), not the MBR. Also I always set the bootable flag
> on that partition to "on". Is this what I should be doing?

Install Grub in the MBR, that's the trick! What else would all the MBR
syncing be good for. ;-)

HTH, šndu

Old 06-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Mike Hore

I should have added, that in all cases I installed GRUB on my Linux
partition (/dev/sda2), not the MBR. Also I always set the bootable flag
on that partition to "on". Is this what I should be doing?

Install Grub in the MBR, that's the trick! What else would all the MBR
syncing be good for. ;-)

Ah, right!! Will do. Well tomorrow -- it's late here :-)

Cheers, Mike.

Archive: 4DF5EFA5.4030508@aapt.net.au">http://lists.debian.org/4DF5EFA5.4030508@aapt.net.au

Old 06-13-2011, 11:20 AM
Mike Hore

I should have added, that in all cases I installed GRUB on my Linux
partition (/dev/sda2), not the MBR. Also I always set the bootable flag
on that partition to "on". Is this what I should be doing?

Install Grub in the MBR, that's the trick! What else would all the MBR
syncing be good for. ;-)

Ah, right!! Will do. Well tomorrow -- it's late here :-)

Just one more quick question -- in one of my earlier failed attempts I
reformatted the MBR -- should it be FAT32 or what? I think that's what
I've got it at now.

-- Mike.

Archive: 4DF5F262.6000009@aapt.net.au">http://lists.debian.org/4DF5F262.6000009@aapt.net.au

Old 06-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Scott Ferguson

On 13/06/11 21:20, Mike Hore wrote:
> On 13/06/11 9:08 PM, Mike Hore wrote:
>>>
>>> Install Grub in the MBR, that's the trick! What else would all the MBR
>>> syncing be good for. ;-)
>>
>> Ah, right!! Will do. Well tomorrow -- it's late here :-)
>
> Just one more quick question -- in one of my earlier failed attempts I
> reformatted the MBR -- should it be FAT32 or what? I think that's what
> I've got it at now.
>
> -- Mike.

> Mike Hore mike_hore@aapt.net.au

How did you format the MBR Mike?

I suspect you mean a partition.... :-)

Cheers

--
We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.
~ Bill Hicks