Old 06-10-2011, 11:03 AM
"alex.padoly"

Default Which sound card for my server rack?

Hi,

My server have several* PCI* 64 bits slots, I can put my PCI video card (ATI RADEON PCI) but I can't put my soundblaster PCI 128, I can put it a sounBlaster Live PCI

but this card doesn't work with Linux!

Which sound card I can put in my server rack and it works with Linux.

I need sound when I use a application sometimes.

Thanks you!

Regards.

Alex

*

*

Old 06-10-2011, 11:32 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 11:03 +0000, alex.padoly wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My server have several PCI 64 bits slots, I can put my PCI video
> card (ATI RADEON PCI) but I can't put my soundblaster PCI 128, I can
> put it a sounBlaster Live PCI
> but this card doesn't work with Linux!
>
> Which sound card I can put in my server rack and it works with Linux.
> I need sound when I use a application sometimes.
> Thanks you!
>
> Regards.
>
> Alex

So you don't need a card that enables real-time duplex (recording and
playing at the same time), by giving you professional audio quality?
You aren't using jackd?

You're looking for a sound card that is able to play sound for e.g.
youtube? Is some kind of surround format needed etc.?

I don't have knowledge about the kind of card you need, but I recommend
to take a look at

"Is my soundcard supported?
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main "

If you found a sound card that fit to your needs, please asked again, if
there are still issues known.

E.g. when you get an Envy24 based sound card and you're using
PulseAudio, it won't work OOTB for some distros. You have to add two
lines to a configuration file.

Regards,

Ralf

Old 06-10-2011, 11:32 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Old 06-10-2011, 12:07 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 11:03:22 +0000, alex.padoly wrote:

> My server have several PCI 64 bits slots, I can put my PCI video card
> (ATI RADEON PCI) but I can't put my soundblaster PCI 128, I can put it
> a sounBlaster Live PCI but this card doesn't work with Linux!
>
> Which sound card I can put in my server rack and it works with Linux. I
> need sound when I use a application sometimes. Thanks you!

Hum... I would say that, generally speaking, racked servers usually embed
the audio chipset in the motherboard (as well as most of the computers do
in those days) and that should be enough *unless* you need something
more...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-10-2011, 12:07 PM
Camaleón

Old 06-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 12:07 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 11:03:22 +0000, alex.padoly wrote:
>
> > My server have several PCI 64 bits slots, I can put my PCI video card
> > (ATI RADEON PCI) but I can't put my soundblaster PCI 128, I can put it
> > a sounBlaster Live PCI but this card doesn't work with Linux!
> >
> > Which sound card I can put in my server rack and it works with Linux. I
> > need sound when I use a application sometimes. Thanks you!
>
> Hum... I would say that, generally speaking, racked servers usually embed
> the audio chipset in the motherboard (as well as most of the computers do
> in those days) and that should be enough *unless* you need something
> more...

FWIW even crappy onboard devices on Linux can be used for duplex audio
production, hence jackd allows to set the periods/buffer ex 2, AFAIK
ASIO isn't able to do this. Of cause, nobody wishes to use an integrated
sound device for his audio studio, hence of a bad sound quality, missing
studio standards such as ADAT, sync output etc., but it's possible to
use such stuff too.

-- Ralf