Old 06-10-2011, 09:39 AM
Rohit Vaidya

Default how to get to runlevel 3 (to install nvidia drivers)

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:
On 10/06/11 15:42, Mark Panen wrote:

> Hi

> Been googling for this with no success. I have tried init 3 and teinit

> 3 and the runlevel command shows i am at runlevel 3 but X is still on

> and i cannot install a Nvidia driver.

> Cheers

> Mark

Go to Virtual Terminal press Ctrl+Alt+F1**
Get to super user mode.
enter #init 3
For NVidia driver installation the Xorg should not be kept running. Hence you
will need to shut it down. enter #kill -9 `pgrep Xorg`

This will kill the Xorg. It may re spawn. In such a case again run the same command
by switching to the virtual Terminal (Ctrl+Alt+F1)
Now the Xorg is killed.
You can run the NVidia driver installation now. Cheers

Rohit Vaidya

Old 06-10-2011, 10:01 AM
David Sanders

> I suspect you don't want to get to run level 3, you just want to shut
> down your x server.
> Ctrl+Alt+Backspace - if that doesn't work, or it keeps restarting...
> # /etc/init.d/kdm stop (or gdm if gnome, or whatever you dm is)

I'd definitely say that using gdm or kdm is a better option -
otherwise you're bound to get the X server respawning.

David

Old 06-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 10/06/11 20:01, David Sanders wrote:
>> I suspect you don't want to get to run level 3, you just want to shut
>> down your x server.
>> Ctrl+Alt+Backspace - if that doesn't work, or it keeps restarting...
>> # /etc/init.d/kdm stop (or gdm if gnome, or whatever you dm is)
>>
> I'd definitely say that using gdm or kdm is a better option -
> otherwise you're bound to get the X server respawning.
>
> David

I'm paraphrasing the instructions from the Debian Wiki - which is always
the safest option. :-)
I run Nvidia proprietary drivers on the legacy Nvidia cards - so I've
tried most methods of installing them.

Cheers

--
Tuttle? His name's Buttle.
There must be some mistake.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:33 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 11:01:34 +0100, David Sanders wrote:

>> I suspect you don't want to get to run level 3, you just want to shut
>> down your x server.
>> Ctrl+Alt+Backspace - if that doesn't work, or it keeps restarting... #
>> /etc/init.d/kdm stop (or gdm if gnome, or whatever you dm is)
>>
> I'd definitely say that using gdm or kdm is a better option - otherwise
> you're bound to get the X server respawning.

And also reading the nvidia README file for additional tips and/or
requirements:

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/270.41.19/README/installdriver.html#BeforeYouBegin89f39

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-10-2011, 11:33 AM
Camaleón

Old 06-11-2011, 08:30 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Vi, 10 iun 11, 15:09:49, Rohit Vaidya wrote:
> For NVidia driver installation the Xorg should not be kept running.

Why not? Using the Debian packages I never had any issues with that.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 06-11-2011, 08:56 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2011-06-11 10:30 +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Vi, 10 iun 11, 15:09:49, Rohit Vaidya wrote:
>> For NVidia driver installation the Xorg should not be kept running.
>
> Why not? Using the Debian packages I never had any issues with that.

The NVidia installer tries to load the kernel module when it's finished,
and any previous version has to be unloaded first which is not possible
when X is running. There are some commandline options to override that
behavior, but by default the installer will abort if X is running.

Sven

Old 06-11-2011, 09:16 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Sat, 2011-06-11 at 10:56 +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2011-06-11 10:30 +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>
> > On Vi, 10 iun 11, 15:09:49, Rohit Vaidya wrote:
> >> For NVidia driver installation the Xorg should not be kept running.
> >
> > Why not? Using the Debian packages I never had any issues with that.
>
> The NVidia installer tries to load the kernel module when it's finished,
> and any previous version has to be unloaded first which is not possible
> when X is running. There are some commandline options to override that
> behavior, but by default the installer will abort if X is running.
>
> Sven

*?* on Ubuntu it was possible to remove an old version and to add a new
while running a DE. I suspect this is possible on Debian too?

Old 06-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Sb, 11 iun 11, 10:56:28, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2011-06-11 10:30 +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>
> > On Vi, 10 iun 11, 15:09:49, Rohit Vaidya wrote:
> >> For NVidia driver installation the Xorg should not be kept running.
> >
> > Why not? Using the Debian packages I never had any issues with that.
>
> The NVidia installer tries to load the kernel module when it's finished,
> and any previous version has to be unloaded first which is not possible
> when X is running. There are some commandline options to override that
> behavior, but by default the installer will abort if X is running.

You meant the official nvidia installer? I specifically mentioned "using
the Debian packages"

Regards,
Andrei

Old 06-11-2011, 09:27 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2011-06-11 11:20 +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Sb, 11 iun 11, 10:56:28, Sven Joachim wrote:

>> > Why not? Using the Debian packages I never had any issues with that.
>>
>> The NVidia installer tries to load the kernel module when it's finished,
>> and any previous version has to be unloaded first which is not possible
>> when X is running. There are some commandline options to override that
>> behavior, but by default the installer will abort if X is running.
>
> You meant the official nvidia installer?

Yes, sorry if this wasn't clear.

Sven