Old 06-10-2011, 09:08 AM
Scott Ferguson

Default how to get to runlevel 3 (to install nvidia drivers)

On 10/06/11 15:42, Mark Panen wrote:
> Hi
>
> Been googling for this with no success. I have tried init 3 and teinit
> 3 and the runlevel command shows i am at runlevel 3 but X is still on
> and i cannot install a Nvidia driver.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mark

I suspect you don't want to get to run level 3, you just want to shut
down your x server.
Ctrl+Alt+Backspace - if that doesn't work, or it keeps restarting...
# /etc/init.d/kdm stop (or gdm if gnome, or whatever you dm is)

There is a very useful section on the Debian wiki for what you're doing.
You'll need it for the nouveau stuff ;-)

Cheers

--
Tuttle? His name's Buttle.
There must be some mistake.